Christian Views on Dinosaurs?

ThatOtherChigga #Mack

So yesterday I was talking to a friend, and he laughed at me for thinking dinosaurs have existed. So if you're a Christian and believe in dinosaurs, does that contradict the story of Adam and Eve?

jesus8.jpg

"Tell them anyway... They will believe it"

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget the Egyption era, creationists deny almost anything outside of the scope of knowledge. I'm a geologist, and used to deal with fossils all the time. If evidence of a rag in a cave is evidence of Jesus, then dinosaur bones are evidence of dinosaurs.

For what it's worth, the world being created in 7 days is a HYPOTHESIS, and not a THEORY. A theory is an idea based on empirical evidence that can be tested falsifiably whereas a hypothesis is untested and purely speculative without a logical base; at least in the eyes of the scientific method.

edit: also lol at anything but a middle eastern arabic looking Jesus Christ.

Posted · Hidden by cleverpun, February 28, 2014 - Insulting others
Hidden by cleverpun, February 28, 2014 - Insulting others

Y'know I think Creationists are insensitive assholes, 6000 years doesn't even cover the Egyptian era, and that seriously disowns the existence of the Egyptian parthenon and most importantly Bastet, the best god ever.

pssht if you want to be a condescending asshole at least know what you're talking about. Egyptian civilisation dawned ~5500 years ago, withthe first united dynasty ~5000. All the fancy buildings are second, third or late/hellenistic (ptolemaic) dynasties. 

Also, when we get back to topic, this topic confuses me and makes me doubt my religion. I truly don't know how to explain this however the evolutionist theory doesn't satisfy me either.  I truly can't imagine me or you coming from a stone. Or originating from the same thing as an ant or a whale

Also, when we get back to topic, this topic confuses me and makes me doubt my religion. I truly don't know how to explain this however the evolutionist theory doesn't satisfy me either.  I truly can't imagine me or you coming from a stone. Or originating from the same thing as an ant or a whale

I was an atheist some years ago, but now I`m not so sure. Take human organism for example. It is so ridiculously complicated and every cell works together, it is mind blowing. I simply cant believe that through evolution we could have gone from a single cell to human body. I also don't believe in christian god, but I do believe in some higher force, the creator.

You don't have to imagine life coming from a stone, or inorganic matter, but the evidence for evolution (literally means change over time, nothing else) of life by natural selection is so vast and sometimes complex, I'd say at this point in history the theory is indisputable. That can change though, as is the nature of progress.

There's really no evidence of how life started, but there is ample evidence for how life changed over time. From the stromatolites in Australia to the trilobites of the Cambrian to higher functioning primates with extremely developed neural systems.

We know how old the dinosaurs were because we can date strata by radiometric decay of certain isotopes of certain atoms, and we know around when they died since no never fossils were found after a certain point and that throughout the world you can find an anomalous boundary called the K-T boundary where there is a very fine layer with massive concentrations of iridium (compared to the average conc. in the crust) that are generally thought to be related to meteorite impacts.

i saw a theory of rabbis that the torah says on genesis "vaivra elokim et ataninim agdolim" (and god created the big tanins).

in hebrew the word "tanin" means Reptile, and dinosaurs were reptiles.

this is what i heard and im not very sure if its true, and i dont know if all the dinosaurs were reptiles. and in modern hebrew the word tanin means crocodile.

Let's be fair here though, the bible was written thousands of years ago, rewritten multiple times as well as translated between many languages, and rewritten again (King James Bible is a good example).

We can test the DNA of both Mammals & Reptiles and show definitively that there was a common ancestor long ago. We know birds are somewhat similar to some dinosaurs by messing with the genetics of animals alive today. For example, chickens can grow teeth from their beaks; it's just one gene that controls the growth of teeth, but it's has since been inactivated (or lost of time due to lack of necessity [natural selection]). We can turn this on and off now, at will. We can truly grow chickens with teeth, if we wanted to. We could even reintroduce the mutation as "natural" by only breeding toothed chickens with toothed cocks. Might not work with the first offspring, but enough time and direction it's guaranteed.

There is also fossil evidence of the first modern bird called archaeopteryx. While it's believed that it couldn't fly, there is solid evidence for both wings and feathers. This is the evidence that birds may be linked to dinosaurs genetically, not because it was written 2000 years ago in Hebrew by a man claiming to be speaking on behalf of God.

Short answer is that many Christians realize that Christianity and science, even the theory of evolution, do not preclude one another by definition.  Many living scientists and several Nobel Prize winners also identify as Christian. Generally the only Christians that do not believe in dinosaurs or evolution are the crazy fringe Creationists and Conservative Baptists that use the Bible as evidence to support their racist and homophobic agendas. 

I can agree with that. I never criticise anyone for their beliefs, unless they are in direct contrast to what we observe. If a Christian (or any person for that matter) believes the earth is 6,000 to 10,000 years old, then it has nothing to do with religious beliefs, rather a supreme ignorance to the information available to any one of us.

It's the same for people who say they don't believe in evolution. Complete misunderstanding of the concept. It's akin to saying I don't believe in the sun. Evolution is change over time. If you can't recognise that you are genetically different to your parents then you are saying you are a carbon copy of one of them. This can only happen if you clone embryos, or if eggs split during mitosis causing identical twins (very different to maternal twins).

I can agree with that. I never criticise anyone for their beliefs, unless they are in direct contrast to what we observe. If a Christian (or any person for that matter) believes the earth is 6,000 to 10,000 years old, then it has nothing to do with religious beliefs, rather a supreme ignorance to the information available to any one of us.

It's the same for people who say they don't believe in evolution. Complete misunderstanding of the concept. It's akin to saying I don't believe in the sun. Evolution is change over time. If you can't recognise that you are genetically different to your parents then you are saying you are a carbon copy of one of them. This can only happen if you clone embryos, or if eggs split during mitosis causing identical twins (very different to maternal twins).

"“The whole thing is [that] with science, you have claims. So, if you claim the earth is 10,000 years old, that’s wrong." -Bill Nye on Biblicism. 

I think it is all really cute.

Todays religion is tomorrows mythology.

I'm not a militant atheist but if I come across a militant christian I love to have an argument purely to learn their beliefs because I don't understand them. 

Sorry since when has Adam and Eve been more than a story? In my country only very strange and fanatic people would think it true... it's just a parable, I thought?

Anyways I hardly read the Bible (not Christian) but where does it blatantly say the Earth is 6000 years old?

You guys take guides too seriously :( it makes me want to cry.

It's not a guide. It's a bible. It's meant to be followed seriously. That's why it's called the 'Bible' and not 'backpack.tf'

It's not a guide. It's a bible. It's meant to be followed seriously. That's why it's called the 'Bible' and not 'backpack.tf'

He was making fun of that fact :unsure:

Sorry since when has Adam and Eve been more than a story? In my country only very strange and fanatic people would think it true... it's just a parable, I thought?

Anyways I hardly read the Bible (not Christian) but where does it blatantly say the Earth is 6000 years old?

Odd part is it doesn't. There's something in there about the descendants of Noah's lineage that says "So and so begot So and so whom begot What's his name" etc. The crazy fringe Christians counted the names and then multiplied by 75 (I won't even mention the logical fallacies there,) and it came out to something around 6,000. 

But the bible does not mention dinosaurs or giant reptiles anywhere in Genesis 

Because Adam and Eve were the first (maybe not first, but on the same day as animals) people/beings created right ? But dinosaurs/other animals came millions of years before them according to the fossil record, so...

And speaking of every specific animal, how did Noah fit a pair of every animal, fish, bird, bug, etc. on his ark?

A. Frankly, It doesn't mention any specific animal in the account of creation. It would be kind of lengthy if It had to say "and God created the arthropods, and the arachnids... and the mammalians, and the horned beats and the pterodactyls... etc. etc. etc."

B. Adam and Eve were the first humans, yes. About fossil records, the fossil records do not in and of themselves "prove" millions/billions of years. If you watched the Ham/Nye debate, you will understand this point. Evolutionists look at the fossil record with the mindset that the earth is millions/billions of years old, postulate a bit about it, do a bit of math, and show that the fossil record proves millions/billions of years. Young earth creationists look at the fossil records, with the mindset of biblical creation account and the great flood, postulate a bit about it, do a bit of math, and show that the fossil record proves their views.

C. Noah did not have to bring every single species, only the major "kinds". Ken Ham pointed this out in the debate. (sorry for spouting it so much but it is still fresh in my mind)

Short answer is that many Christians realize that Christianity and science, even the theory of evolution, do not preclude one another by definition. Many living scientists and several Nobel Prize winners also identify as Christian.

Generally the only Christians that do not believe in dinosaurs or evolution are the crazy fringe Creationists and Conservative Baptists that use the Bible as evidence to support their racist and homophobic agendas.

A. Theistic Evolutionism (Christians mainly) is a broken theology. Not to mention the word used for "day" in Genesis or about the gaping holes it leaves in major doctrines, it says that God created plant life before he created the sun, moon, and stars. Um, so he created light but all the plants were just hangin' around on earth with no moon or starts or anything??? Theistic evolutionism requires you to pick and choose parts of the bible that "make sense" to you or that you "agree with". That doesn't make for a compelling belief at all.

B. I have no idea what this topic originated with Christians that don't believe dinosaurs existed. I mean, if people like that actually exist then yeah, that is way past the deep end with conspiracy theories and literal tin foil hats and y2k bunkers.

Odd part is it doesn't. There's something in there about the descendants of Noah's lineage that says "So and so begot So and so whom begot What's his name" etc. The crazy fringe Christians counted the names and then multiplied by 75 (I won't even mention the logical fallacies there,) and it came out to something around 6,000.

Please do not spout random non-sense. I have no idea where you got that idea.

The Bible actually gives the ages of these people, how old they lived and how old they were when they begat the next in line. The 6,000 figure is actually based off of dates in the Bible not random number multiplication.

You don't have to imagine life coming from a stone, or inorganic matter, but the evidence for evolution (literally means change over time, nothing else) of life by natural selection is so vast and sometimes complex, I'd say at this point in history the theory is indisputable. That can change though, as is the nature of progress.

I will admit that evolutionists have compelling "explanations"  for geology and astronomy but when it comes to biology, how anyone can believe biological evolution other than with religious-like faith is UN-comprehensible. The near-infinite mathematical improbabilities and illogical progressions darwinists must come up with make faith in a being that just made everything seem simple.

Basically what evolutionists do is they look at all the species alive today, line them up, look at them, and say "hey, it looks kinda like it goes in this order (with maybe a few holes here and there)" and then extrapolates what they think back TENS OF MILLIONS OF YEARS In the PAST M-I-L-L-I-O-N-S! millions! Hot damn! Do you know how long a million years is??? Then they find fossils that kinda look like the same animals we have today and say how much it proves their model and that it is our ancient ancestor! I mean, are you for real? Tens of millions of years and it still sort of looks like what its like today??? I don't think people understand how long a million years is, we throw it around today like its nothing. We should be seeing radically different fossils and creatures, we should be seeing insane alien absurdities! Im not talking about one or two, I mean multiple entire rock strata full of alien creatures!

Let me give you guys a little insight, you know in your biology books where they paint a vast picture of primeval rain-forests millions of years ago with giant bizarre looking pre-historic lizards, hornets, and stuff? Guess what... all they have is bone fragments and maybe a few partial skeletons. All the illustrations, the way they say these creatures lived, ate, mated, acted is all make-believe. Scientists have no clue what the giant lizard fossil ate or looked like, scientists just notice that the fossil looks like a giant lizard, they look at what lizards do today and then postulate that that is how this giant lizard acted millions of years ago.

The entire evolutionary biological model and "supporting fossil records" is way too perfect, seriously it is like a logical intelligence lined it up that way they say. A intelligent human, human. It is not what really happened, it is the perfect logical "makes sense" model that humans drew up.

A. Theistic Evolutionism (Christians mainly) is a broken theology. Not to mention the word used for "day" in Genesis or about the gaping holes it leaves in major doctrines, it says that God created plant life before he created the sun, moon, and stars. Um, so he created light but all the plants were just hangin' around on earth with no moon or starts or anything??? Theistic evolutionism requires you to pick and choose parts of the bible that "make sense" to you or that you "agree with". That doesn't make for a compelling belief at all.

B. I have no idea what this topic originated with Christians that don't believe dinosaurs existed. I mean, if people like that actually exist then yeah, that is way past the deep end with conspiracy theories and literal tin foil hats and y2k bunkers.

The Bible actually gives the ages of these people, how old they lived and how old they were when they begat the next in line. The 6,000 figure is actually based off of dates in the Bible not random number multiplication.

I will admit that evolutionists have compelling "explanations"  for geology and astronomy but when it comes to biology, how anyone can believe biological evolution other than with religious-like faith is UN-comprehensible. The near-infinite mathematical improbabilities and illogical progressions darwinists must come up with make faith in a being that just made everything seem simple.

Basically what evolutionists do is they look at all the species alive today, line them up, look at them, and say "hey, it looks kinda like it goes in this order (with maybe a few holes here and there)" and then extrapolates what they think back TENS OF MILLIONS OF YEARS In the PAST M-I-L-L-I-O-N-S! millions! Hot damn! Do you know how long a million years is??? Then they find fossils that kinda look like the same animals we have today and say how much it proves their model and that it is our ancient ancestor! I mean, are you for real? Tens of millions of years and it still sort of looks like what its like today??? I don't think people understand how long a million years is, we throw it around today like its nothing. We should be seeing radically different fossils and creatures, we should be seeing insane alien absurdities! Im not talking about one or two, I mean multiple entire rock strata full of alien creatures!

Let me give you guys a little insight, you know in your biology books where they paint a vast picture of primeval rain-forests millions of years ago with giant bizarre looking pre-historic lizards, hornets, and stuff? Guess what... all they have is bone fragments and maybe a few partial skeletons. All the illustrations, the way they say these creatures lived, ate, mated, acted is all make-believe. Scientists have no clue what the giant lizard fossil ate or looked like, scientists just notice that the fossil looks like a giant lizard, they look at what lizards do today and then postulate that that is how this giant lizard acted millions of years ago.

The entire evolutionary biological model and "supporting fossil records" is way too perfect, seriously it is like a logical intelligence lined it up that way they say. A intelligent human, human. It is not what really happened, it is the perfect logical "makes sense" model that humans drew up.

-Well, yeah, Any sort of theologism is not perfect. It's just, as I said, some hold the idea that belief in God and belief in science are not mutually exclusive. Not a perfect example.

-Clearly some Christians do believe dinosaurs did not exist, as Chigga mentioned knowing one. I've personally never heard of that but we've all heard about the "museums" showing Biblical figures living alongside dinosaurs. 

-I'll admit that I was mistaken about the "begats." I do not recall where I heard that one. The actual passage says that Adam lived to be more than 900 years old and other fun things that don't exactly strengthen the position of Biblical literalism. 

-Your final points really venture into why Evolution is still scientifically a "theory." Meaning that science says "Hey, we know it isn't perfect and we don't understand everything about it; but it's the best we have based on our current observations and research." Am I saying that Evolution is %100 infallibly correct? No, but I do believe in it. And why? Because I believe in Science and what Science has done for me so far. Science is letting me type this to you now. It's why my lights are on. It's why I can take a train to work in the mornings. It's how I can get immunized from diseases that would otherwise kill me. 

Interesting thing, it really takes immeasurably more faith to inspect and evaluate other possible explanations to a problem and still feel yours is correct. It takes even more faith to be open to other ideas should yours be proven wrong. I told you I believe in Science, but if I were to see compelling evidence that God existed I would be foolhardy to still refuse to believe. 

A. Frankly, It doesn't mention any specific animal in the account of creation. It would be kind of lengthy if It had to say "and God created the arthropods, and the arachnids... and the mammalians, and the horned beats and the pterodactyls... etc. etc. etc."

B. Adam and Eve were the first humans, yes. About fossil records, the fossil records do not in and of themselves "prove" millions/billions of years. If you watched the Ham/Nye debate, you will understand this point. Evolutionists look at the fossil record with the mindset that the earth is millions/billions of years old, postulate a bit about it, do a bit of math, and show that the fossil record proves millions/billions of years. Young earth creationists look at the fossil records, with the mindset of biblical creation account and the great flood, postulate a bit about it, do a bit of math, and show that the fossil record proves their views.

C. Noah did not have to bring every single species, only the major "kinds". Ken Ham pointed this out in the debate. (sorry for spouting it so much but it is still fresh in my mind)

If i can remember back then my Theology teacher told us that dinosaurs were in the Bible at least from what they think.

In one of the Chapter of the Job 40:15-24. There was a beast called  "Behemoth". Which many Christians think is a Sauropod.

As is the "Levithan" in Job 41 meaning "Sea Monster" or "Creature" , but most think the "Leviathan" is just a whale and nothing else.

There isn't really much else to show if Christian believe in dinosaurs ,but the Bible depicted that Dinosaurs may be real.

And religion isn't "way too perfect"? One magical book written by some author (who probably meant to use it as anti-Roman propaganda) that explains everything isn't "too perfect"?. There are thousands of religions, and each one is based upon blind faith and manipulation. Science actually uses evidence, not claims by ancient texts. For example, the Church placed blind faith in the Roman doctor Galen, whose work was based on animals such as pigs. In the 1500s, his work was disproved by scientists/doctors who had to perform illegal human dissection due to the Church banning human dissection unless it was to prove Galen correct and in a university.

And religion isn't "way too perfect"? One magical book written by some author (who probably meant to use it as anti-Roman propaganda) that explains everything isn't "too perfect"?. There are thousands of religions, and each one is based upon blind faith and manipulation. Science actually uses evidence, not claims by ancient texts. For example, the Church placed blind faith in the Roman doctor Galen, whose work was based on animals such as pigs. In the 1500s, his work was disproved by scientists/doctors who had to perform illegal human dissection due to the Church banning human dissection unless it was to prove Galen correct and in a university.

Two "magical" books written by many authors

One when Romans didn't really exist yet

The explanations are based on observations and tangible evidence. Near mathematical probabilities are void in retrospect, hence why we use observations and evidence as a basis of explanation. What I mean is, when we say dinosaurs probably existed, it's not because the bible said so (or whatever), it's that we've found their bones, and can determine the age of lithologies by radiometric dating as well as stratigraphic dating using microfauna.  I've worked in a lab where I've personally done all of this, and studied Geology in university. Feel free to ask me specifically about any aspect that doesn't sit well with you and I'll try my best to explain what I know.

Evolutionist is a loaded term used only by Christians. It's not a dogma, just a theory of explaining how we change over time. If a fossil of an ancestor looks identical to one found "tens of millions" ago, then there is probably a good chance they're related (not always; see crypto-species). The length of time of evolution is irrelevant in my opinion. It took how long it took to get us to where we are right now, otherwise things wouldn't be the way they are. We are seeing radically different fossils throughout the world, but there are probably no more "absurdities" than there are today. It's a subjective thing anyway, not really scientific.

What is your little insight based on? I could go on quite literally for days about the evidence from here, and evidence from there, and why this may mean one thing, or maybe something all together. You can get huge amounts of information from partial skeletons any. and just recently a fossil has been discovered of insect mating rituals. You can tell because it's a really visible clear fossil where the insects are bound at the abdomen just like how they mate today. There is absolutely no inference of today's animal activity into the past either. It's not like, hey this fossil of a dog suggests it's an animal that humped legs, it's more like this animal has really sharp teeth (probably a carnivore) or mostly molars (herb/omnivore).

The evolutionary biological model is FAR FROM perfect, but masses of research are undertaken in the hope of better understanding the past. Humans did not "simply draw up" a model for evolution. The evidence is there for anybody to go and look at, we just have to figure it out more and more.

But to go to heaven you have to accept Jesus is your savior and believe in him fully, so to kind-of-believe/kind-of-disbelieve doesn't really help you.

But the bible does not mention dinosaurs or giant reptiles anywhere in Genesis 

Because Adam and Eve were the first (maybe not first, but on the same day as animals) people/beings created right ? But dinosaurs/other animals came millions of years before them according to the fossil record, so...

And speaking of every specific animal, how did Noah fit a pair of every animal, fish, bird, bug, etc. on his ark?

According to Genisis

Adam and Eve were made after the animals but on the same "day". 

One thought I had once revolved around the story of the serpent that deceived Eve.  The punishment for the serpent was that they were to, from that point on, crawl on their bellies.  One could say that previous to that they walked.  Idk.

As for Noah

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab3/how-could-animals-fit-on-ark

Idk  Can't do the math right now.

Archived