Can a user get banned for not honouring their buy order?

chubbynoob

There was a user who had a buy order for Massed Flies Tough Stuff Muffs for 15.5 keys, I even added them and they CONFIRMED IN CHAT that they were buying for 15.5 keys.

The user then refused to honour the trade agreement as well as the buy order, declining my trade and blocking me from all further communication.

User: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marozai123/

Evidence: https://postimg.cc/gallery/txwLkWv

Can I get the user banned for what they have done?

I'm really, really angry and would like some clarification on this.

15 minutes ago, DRIFTA said:

it's against the rules but I doubt he would get banned, probably just a warning if it's their first offense

Could I at least get my money back?  Or do bp.tf not care enough about it?

14 minutes ago, chubbynoob said:

Money back for what? You didn't lose any money because there was no transaction.

15 minutes ago, chubbynoob said:

money back??? i dont understand this at all.we dont see you lose anything

not honouring the trade is against the rules on this website so go on their bp.tf profile and report them and provide all sort of evidence required. they would be given a warning for first time.if its a repeat offense,they can get a temp ban from using the listing system but a ban i dont think so

27 minutes ago, TripleMasterA said:

Money back for what? You didn't lose any money because there was no transaction.

Sorry, terrible wording.  I obviously spent money on the unusual, I just wanted to know whether he would be forced to honour his agreement on his buy order that he put up.  Giving him a warning is fine, but I would at least still like to take the trade.  

Or are backpack.tf just going to give him a warning?  Nothing else whatsoever?  He still gets away with what he's done?

We can’t exactly force people to trade you.

Not following your buy orders is against the rules, yes. A first offense wont lead to a ban, but they can be warned.

A guide on reporting can be found here 

44 minutes ago, Diamond jozu said:

not honouring the trade is against the rules on this website so go on their bp.tf profile and report them and provide all sort of evidence required. they would be given a warning for first time.if its a repeat offense,they can get a temp ban from using the listing system but a ban i dont think so

Will he at least be forced to make the trade with me?  Or does bp.tf just let him get away with whatever he's done?

3 minutes ago, Zeus_Junior said:

We can’t exactly force people to trade you.

Not following your buy orders is against the rules, yes. A first offense wont lead to a ban, but they can be warned.

A guide on reporting can be found here 

So they're just free to do whatever they want?  Could I possibly do the same thing?  A "warning" is so bloody insignificant that I wouldn't care, so long as I got my profit after all.  Got the message, thanks.

3 minutes ago, TheRealWeeb said:

Bruh the salt in this mans veins

lmao it just annoys me that people are just free to do this kind of thing without any kind of consequence.  A warning? pffft

2 minutes ago, chubbynoob said:

Will he at least be forced to make the trade with me?  Or does bp.tf just let him get away with whatever he's done?

i mean even if he did get a ban (though he wont), its still his account.only he can control.if you want to find a way to make him force to do the trade,you could possibly hack into his account or find him IRL though you'd get thrown into jail over an item worth 30-40 bucks

Just now, Diamond jozu said:

if you are mad on this kind of situation,you havent seen the world of sharkers...

I know, I know... It's just I thought a buy order was... y'know... binding.  This kinda stuff happens all the time, and no one can do anything about it?  People just undermine the rules with no consequence?  I'd understand if the buy order was a mistake, but it obviously wasn't.  The guy confirmed the trade deal in chat, after all.

Just now, chubbynoob said:

I know, I know... It's just I thought a buy order was... y'know... binding.  This kinda stuff happens all the time, and no one can do anything about it?  People just undermine the rules with no consequence?  I'd understand if the buy order was a mistake, but it obviously wasn't.  The guy confirmed the trade deal in chat, after all.

this kind of situation happens everyday and all they can do is just report them,block and leave a -rep on their trust so that it can warn other traders ahead of time of what that potential accused can do to others as well. you didnt lose any more in this situation so just be grateful with that :)

What a shitty human being you are. That guy says that he is just starting unusual trading in the buy order. He probably changed his mind or something. And you are now trying to ruin his reputation for something so negligible

He says in your profile comments:

I am more interested in dead president muffs right now sorry! But thanks for the offer, appreciated!

This has happened to me many times when I used to trade, but it's not something to get mad about. Just find another buyer.

13 minutes ago, Stainroll said:

What a shitty human being you are. That guy says that he is just starting unusual trading in the buy order. He probably changed his mind or something. And you are now trying to ruin his reputation for something so negligible

He says in your profile comments:

This has happened to me many times when I used to trade, but it's not something to get mad about. Just find another buyer.

I'm not trying to ruin his reputation, I'm giving him a chance at redemption.  Maybe he had no idea about the rules of classifieds, and that's fine.  I told him I would take down the negative trust on his profile and leave it all behind us if he still went ahead, unblocked me and sent me a trade, but he obviously hasn't.  Therefore he has been informed of the consequences, and still chose to go ahead.

Sure, I may be a shitty person.  But we live in a shitty world where the community doesn't care, the moderators don't care, and every person has to fight for themselves.  He didn't know the rules of the game, and that's fine.  But now he's knowingly cheating, so I honestly couldn't care less about his reputation.

I made some terrible trades when I first started off, but those were MY terrible trades.  Never did I fuck up at the expense of another person.

I'm sorry if I'm being passionate about this, but can you blame me?  I offered a chance to forgive and forget, but he didn't take me up on it.

If we can just "change our minds", what is the point of classified listings?

I feel like I'm justified here.

You're misunderstanding my message.

The negative rating you left is invalid. Please read the trust tutorial http://prntscr.com/tw7lit 

https://backpack.tf/rules Classifieds 6: "It is your responsibility to keep your listings up to date and accurate. If you are found to be repeatedly changing your mind after receiving offers, you will receive a ban."

Nowhere does it say that everyone will just always get away with warnings. I said that a first offense wouldn't instantly lead to a ban. People are allowed to change their minds.

31 minutes ago, Zeus_Junior said:

You're free to ask me questions about the rules and i'll try my best to answer them.

3 minutes ago, Zeus_Junior said:

You're misunderstanding my message.

The negative rating you left is invalid. Please read the trust tutorial http://prntscr.com/tw7lit 

https://backpack.tf/rules Classifieds 6: "It is your responsibility to keep your listings up to date and accurate. If you are found to be repeatedly changing your mind after receiving offers, you will receive a ban."

Nowhere does it say that everyone will just always get away with warnings. I said that a first offense wouldn't instantly lead to a ban. People are allowed to change their minds.

You're free to ask me questions about the rules and i'll try my best to answer them.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  So I can just change my mind anytime?  Even if I agree to the trade in chat?  He then proceeded to block me from communication without any reason why and decided to leave a comment on my profile, knowing that I wouldn't be able to reply to him... you don't think that's sketchy at all?  Like, why would he have any reason to block me?  Sure, he changed his mind.  At the last minute?  Without telling me before declining and blocking me?

If you read the chat, you'll notice he's very interested in buying the hat.  He even asks me if I have one right now.  "People are allowed to change their minds," you say.  "I hope you have one," he says in the chat.  You see, a normal person might, just might assume that he's very interested in buying one.  What have I gained?  Absolutely nothing, I've probably made a loss.  What has he gained?  A good laugh, and some moderator giving him a "warning".  Sheesh.

Secondly, if he refuses to follow through on a buy order, doesn't that make him... untrustworthy?  Therefore it's valid to leave negative trust?  Or not?

So the person in question is just off the hook, I assume?  Can I safely assume that backpack.tf classified listings are untrustworthy, since any problems will result in me being punished for it?  Much of the value of an unusual stems from the buy orders, and I bought the unusual specifically because of his buy order.  I don't get anything back?  I'm to just man up and deal with it?  I can't get back the time I've lost, but surely I can get my money back.

6 minutes ago, chubbynoob said:

I can't get back the time I've lost, but surely I can get my money back.

Instead of looking for "justice" you could've spent the time trading, now you are just wasting time.

14 minutes ago, Stainroll said:

Instead of looking for "justice" you could've spent the time trading, now you are just wasting time.

Nah, I'm trading in the background.  Is it a waste of time trying to get my point across?  Says something about this community.  Y'all make it sound like I've been sitting on this post for like an hour.  I have a life to live y'know lmao

23 minutes ago, chubbynoob said:

I can't get back the time I've lost, but surely I can get my money back.

if you are gonna make this as your way to justification, then im pretty sure i'd want my  'money' back from many other traders which i should have become a millionaire as this point.

its just a 15 key hat,not like a 1500 key item/hat.you will just have to move on and find a pretty ok person. at this point,you are now ruining your own reputation because here you are showing that if a small mistake occurs,you would be very angry and will go an all-out to try and get justice. this will scare traders from trading with you.just leave it be...

Dude, the whole thing is basically 'Do not buy any items you personally don't like \ don't know how to sell or deal with just to make a qick buck' because if you can easly get that item cheaper to get some profit, well, you're probably not the only one. Also another detail: the Stuff Muffs you bought was originally sold by the same guy you talking about. https://backpack.tf/item/7957344343

Personally, i would consider it pretty cheesy and would think twice before buying it, but well, what do i know?
Nobody can force anyone to make a trade, well, unless they want to go in jail, of course. If you bought it for, i assume, 15 keys, you can just qicksell it to bots for 14.3 and move on.
Anything less than 10 keys - is a small price to pay for a good lesson which is 'Don't be gready, don't rush a deal you wouldn't make otherwise. Espesically for a such small profit.'
And yeah, another thing, on your steam profile 'Scammers *ucked over: 7' - small pp energy, dude. No self-respecting trader would do that, honestly.
Good luck pal. My advice - just leave it behind and move on. Who knows, maybe you'll even make a better profit out of those Muffs.

Archived