Can a user get banned for not honouring their buy order?

chubbynoob

2 minutes ago, HereCanBeYourBlurb said:

Dude, the whole thing is basically 'Do not buy any items you personally don't like \ don't know how to sell or deal with just to make a qick buck' because if you can easly get that item cheaper to get some profit, well, you're probably not the only one. Also another detail: the Stuff Muffs you bought was originally sold by the same guy you talking about. https://backpack.tf/item/7957344343

Personally, i would consider it pretty cheesy and would think twice before buying it, but well, what do i know?
Nobody can force anyone to make a trade, well, unless they want to go in jail, of course. If you bought it for, i assume, 15 keys, you can just qicksell it to bots for 14.3 and move on.
Anything less than 10 keys - is a small price to pay for a good lesson which is 'Don't be gready, don't rush a deal you wouldn't make otherwise. Espesically for a such small profit.'
And yeah, another thing, on your steam profile 'Scammers *ucked over: 7' - small pp energy, dude. No self-respecting trader would do that, honestly.
Good luck pal. My advice - just leave it behind and move on. Who knows, maybe you'll even make a better profit out of those Muffs.

lol, we put that on my profile to parody some of the others out there.  Nice to know it got noticed :D  Thanks for the advice, been trading for a while.  I guess the moral is, if it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true. 

Good day everyone, so first of all I want to apologize for wasting your time and energy on this situation. Secondly, i made 5 buy orders for different unusual including tough muffs massed flies and dead president . So I made approximate buy order and from what I can see you are overreacting and approached this situation in very childish way. You must understand that I partly agreed to your offer, and then I though that i secured it and just went to do some research about the effects and found out that massed flies is one of the worst effects in the industry. So I changed my mind yes this is my choice and judgement to accept it or decline, in the last minute, but I apologize for that and for blocking you, I did that because you would try to persuade me over accepting the offer, and i didn’t want to interact with you anymore. From what I read you are very salty because you didn’t make profit or what? How is it a thing anyway?  Go find a buyer or just trade it, why are you wasting your time here arguing with people? Instead go and grind your way to other unusual that’s all. I hope all of you understand my position. And have a great day. 

37 minutes ago, chubbynoob said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  So I can just change my mind anytime?  Even if I agree to the trade in chat?  He then proceeded to block me from communication without any reason why and decided to leave a comment on my profile, knowing that I wouldn't be able to reply to him... you don't think that's sketchy at all?  Like, why would he have any reason to block me?  Sure, he changed his mind.  At the last minute?  Without telling me before declining and blocking me?

I'm not saying that what he did was right, simply explaining that you are allowed to change your mind.

38 minutes ago, chubbynoob said:

Secondly, if he refuses to follow through on a buy order, doesn't that make him... untrustworthy?  Therefore it's valid to leave negative trust?  Or not?

So the person in question is just off the hook, I assume?  Can I safely assume that backpack.tf classified listings are untrustworthy, since any problems will result in me being punished for it?  Much of the value of an unusual stems from the buy orders, and I bought the unusual specifically because of his buy order.  I don't get anything back?  I'm to just man up and deal with it?  I can't get back the time I've lost, but surely I can get my money back.

Sure, can be untrustworthy. But if you read the trust tutorial (which again, can be found by clicking this button when leaving a rating http://prntscr.com/tw7lit) you'll see this: http://prntscr.com/tw8alk 

We can not force people to still go through with a trade. The classifieds rules state that for this type of event where someone is not honoring their buy order, they can be reported. This will, as I previously said, lead to either a warning or a ban if this has happened multiple times already.

6 minutes ago, SuchaAmba said:

How is it a thing anyway?

Dunno.  What is profit anymore in the TF2 economy in 2020 lmao

I'm not salty because I didn't make a profit or whatever.  The buy order section could have tanked overnight, and I wouldn't have made much of it, except for bad luck.  What with automation and everything, it's only natural to make a loss in a while.

I'm salty because I feel robbed.  The timing of everything that happened was too good.  Guy comes up to me on trade server and says "Quickselling *** for 15 keys".  He then tells buy orders are really high and he's selling really low.  I go and check - that's a half a key profit there. Cool!  Thanks random guy for the trade!  It ain't much, but it's half a key.  Maybe I can buy a strange weapon I want.

Then I find out this guy just suddenly blocked me with no response.  Maybe for a valid reason, I don't know.  What happened wasn't a natural dip in the economy or something like that, and what gets me the most is that no one really cares.  As far as I've been told, this kind of stuff happens every day and no one can do anything about it.  Not even bp.tf moderators.

14 minutes ago, SuchaAmba said:

From what I read you are very salty because you didn’t make profit or what?

Ye can't read, can you?  What?  Because I couldn't make half a key profit?  I have more money lying around in my desk...  It's more the sheer nonchalance of people.  Yeah, I made you waste your pure.  So what?  Who cares?  I'm worried that this mentality to what just happened will apply to my later trades.  One day, it's half a key.  The next, it's 10 keys, and there's no line drawn between what's deemed acceptable or not.

I don't deny I was a total fool for trading for the hat, but what happened should not have happened.

The first warning may seem insignificant to you. But the second time someone reports them they already receive a ban (usually). So yeah regular traders can't afford to decline offers as they want, that will escalate really quickly to longer bans.

Once again sorry and I apologize what happened and I hope it wont happen to you in the future, good luck in your other trades! Don’t hate me over this, thank you:/

Just now, SuchaAmba said:

Once again sorry and I apologize what happened and I hope it wont happen to you in the future, good luck in your other trades! Don’t hate me over this, thank you:/

if you wanted to make buy orders for an item,make a buy order for just unusual tough stuff but do not pick the effect so that it would seem you are buying any and all effect but it is best to put a very low price on your listing and in the description,you can put a note that 'this is not my actual price offer.please add me and we can make a trade and a proper price'.doing this way will avoid situation like this :)

8 minutes ago, Woifi The Viking said:

The first warning may seem insignificant to you. But the second time someone reports them they already receive a ban (usually). So yeah regular traders can't afford to decline offers as they want, that will escalate really quickly to longer bans.

Gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification.

7 minutes ago, SuchaAmba said:

Ye blocked me, I don't think i physically can 

Dude I always block people, I have over 60 people blocked, like it makes any difference, I block people who i won’t interact with anymorexd

3 minutes ago, SuchaAmba said:

Dude I always block people, I have over 60 people blocked, like it makes any difference, I block people who i won’t interact with anymorexd

Believe me, that's gonna get you nowhere in trading.  You'll be missing out on great deals, as well as people to sell to, as well as the 90% of traders who frequent a trade server.  Just... don't pull this shit ever again

5 hours ago, [myg0t] IDYB said:

Since you originally sold it it looks like you made a fake buy order and sold it off your alt.

If that’s the case make a report, don’t throw out accusations on the forums.

That's the reason I don't trust buy orders created by humans. Even if they're scared to decline your trade offer to not get banned, they still can find a way to not trade with you without breaking the rules. I've seen traders with high reputation doing some things to circumvent the rules, like trading away their keys and removing their buy order after that (of course after figuring out their buy order price is outdated). No rules broken then and there's nothing you can do (not even report them). So if you really wanna find a kinda guaranteed buyer, you need to rely on multiple bot buyers at such price.

1 hour ago, shadyfan said:

That's the reason I don't trust buy orders created by humans. Even if they're scared to decline your trade offer to not get banned, they still can find a way to not trade with you without breaking the rules. I've seen traders with high reputation doing some things to circumvent the rules, like trading away their keys and removing their buy order after that (of course after figuring out their buy order price is outdated). No rules broken then and there's nothing you can do (not even report them). So if you really wanna find a kinda guaranteed buyer, you need to rely on multiple bot buyers at such price.

If someones trades frequently go invalid (because they just trade a lot) thats not a rule break, correct.

If someone lets offers go unavailable and then lowers or removes their buy order multiple times, they can still be reported for this

23 minutes ago, n_n said:

I would -steamrep and move on. 

Steamrep doesn't handle this, and if you mean leave a negative rating, no. That would be invalid as i explained earlier in the thread:

On 8/8/2020 at 3:40 PM, Zeus_Junior said:

[...]

if you read the trust tutorial (which again, can be found by clicking this button when leaving a rating http://prntscr.com/tw7lit) you'll see this: http://prntscr.com/tw8alk 

[...]

On 8/8/2020 at 3:31 PM, chubbynoob said:

Sure, I may be a shitty person.  But we live in a shitty world where the community doesn't care, the moderators don't care, and every person has to fight for themselves.

tf2 community is cool when you don't try to ban people for just not knowing the rules

Archived