The Radiated Banana

So yeah. I started watching ted talks again and came across this.

Basically bill gates talks about the future of global warming's effects on our planet and what we have to do to save ourselves.

I honestly dont think we will be able to reduce CO2 emmissions down by 80% because the future relies on the next generation, and from what i know, the next generation is lazy af

Any thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

current generation gives no fucks

next generation is dumb and lazy

solution: use the 3 smart people left on the planet and colonize Mars for us to ruin it

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that though. Global warming (and really it should be called global climate change, because that is the more serious effect) is not a slow change, which means it cannot be reversed in a few short years by throwing money at the problem. We are already seeing many of the effects of it in the last 5-10 years with increased extreme temperatures, climate zones moving to new locations, increased frequency and strength of severe weather, floods, droughts, and ice melting.

This really is only the beginning, and if you ask many of the scientists who are really in the know, it may already be too late. I certainly don't have any hope for my generation (Y) or any of the more pathetic ones that come after my own. Even the one before mine (Gen X) was hailed as being a lost generation with no purpose or goals.

If you have some time for a free reading book, take a look at Weather of the Future written by Heidi Cullen it is well written and explains a lot.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that though. Global warming (and really it should be called global climate change, because that is the more serious effect) is not a slow change, which means it cannot be reversed in a few short years by throwing money at the problem. We are already seeing many of the effects of it in the last 5-10 years with increased extreme temperatures, climate zones moving to new locations, increased frequency and strength of severe weather, floods, droughts, and ice melting.

This really is only the beginning, and if you ask many of the scientists who are really in the know, it may already be too late. I certainly don't have any hope for my generation (Y) or any of the more pathetic ones that come after my own. Even the one before mine (Gen X) was hailed as being a lost generation with no purpose or goals.

If you have some time for a free reading book, take a look at Weather of the Future written by Heidi Cullen it is well written and explains a lot.

And there are also many more scientists who believe its a normal cycle, since you-know; we're at the end of a fucking ice-age. 

And there are also many more scientists who believe its a normal cycle, since you-know; we're at the end of a fucking ice-age. 

Either way its better to estimate what will happen and prepare for it.  Move resources/assets around to mitigate the damage and build into the change.

The amount of increased CO2 in the atmosphere compared to 50, 100, or even 250 years ago is undeniable. Doesn't matter if we are at the end of an ice age, we've had global warming and cooling periods over several hundred years before (1700-1850 cooler), (1000-1300 warmer).

We can say 65 million years ago the earth was a lot warmer as well on a longitudinal scale, but that doesn't change how we've influenced our environment. The fact that we may be "coming" out of the ice age is irrelevant.

So keep on driving your car on joy rides and running all your lights at home because clearly we haven't added anything into the atmosphere that will effect it. That's what every big business capitalist Republican wants you to believe to be a good little consumer to buy their shit so they can stay rich at the expense of the environment and massive amounts of wasted energy.

The amount of increased CO2 in the atmosphere compared to 50, 100, or even 250 years ago is undeniable. Doesn't matter if we are at the end of an ice age, we've had global warming and cooling periods over several hundred years before (1700-1850 cooler), (1000-1300 warmer).

We can say 65 million years ago the earth was a lot warmer as well on a longitudinal scale, but that doesn't change how we've influenced our environment. The fact that we may be "coming" out of the ice age is irrelevant.

So keep on driving your car on joy rides and running all your lights at home because clearly we haven't added anything into the atmosphere that will effect it. That's what every big business capitalist Republican wants you to believe to be a good little consumer to buy their shit so they can stay rich at the expense of the environment and massive amounts of wasted energy.

Water Vapour is "apparently" the most potent "greenhouse gas", with a contribution of 95% to "global warming". The facts are out there, but governments want us to believe this green crap so we can pay for their green cars, taxes and initiatives. Britain is currently flooding, partially due to an EU green initiative, and this. I'm sure other countries have/will have similar problems as well. Sustainability (and also projects like the EU) are great ideas, they just need to be implemented better. Recycling may actually use more energy than it would take to create a new copy of the product, for example.

Also:

http://joannenova.com.au/global-warming-2/ice-core-graph/

And then there's the fact that the world went mad about "Global Cooling" in the 70's. Instead we're now being told that the poles will melt, when Artic ice levels have dramatically increased after being low for a while.

Water Vapour is "apparently" the most potent "greenhouse gas", with a contribution of 95% to "global warming". The facts are out there, but governments want us to believe this green crap so we can pay for their green cars, taxes and initiatives. Britain is currently flooding, partially due to an EU green initiative, and this. I'm sure other countries have/will have similar problems as well.

Also:

http://joannenova.com.au/global-warming-2/ice-core-graph/

And then there's the fact that the world went mad about "Global Cooling" in the 70's. Instead we're now being told that the poles will melt, when Artic ice levels have dramatically increased after being low for a while.

The ice melting is definitely a catastrophe, i mean, a whole 2 species are going to go extinct in Greenland--albeit hundreds will come back, but thats irrelevant. 

Global warming happens, sure. It's just not man-made.

Oh and Earth temperatures always shift, we're just in an interglacial period now. 

Trust me, I had best grade in my class for last geograpy exam :D

The next generation is a bunch of idiots who #selfie everything, and don't give 2 shits about learning in school.

current generation gives no fucks

next generation is dumb and lazy

solution: use the 3 smart people left on the planet and colonize Mars for us to ruin it

buh buh buh but :(

The facts are out there, but governments want us to believe this green crap so we can pay for their green cars, taxes and initiatives. 

Heh. What? If the govt. is making up the idea that exhaust emitted and mass pollution that gas-guzzlers make, why? What's in it for them? They're just creating more expensive vehicles to produce and they seem to be pretty successful. And if greenhouse gases and global warning is a hoax, fine, but don't you at least want to minimize the pollution created by heavy trucks by owning a battery-reliable car? And gas prices, like keys in TF2, are always going to go up. I see no reason the people have to lose being told (for a fact) that global warning is happening and we should stop it.

If the next generation is going to be lazy about this, fuck 'em. Let the human species die out before we destroy the Earth single-handedly. I'll be damned to believe humans will be moronic enough to kill the planet before they kill themselves. At least leave the animals and some parts of the rain forest before you stupid fucks decide to trash the Earth and use up every single last drop of resource 

If I must, I'll slaughter every single last human on Earth to let the Polar Bears have a chance of survival.

Just looking at this kinda tells me that there is some chance of saving us :P Cuz people here actually sound intelligent, compared to the half brained people that attend at my school.

But yeah the future does seem kind of bleak. We basically have more or less 16 years to solve our problem. If not,(as predicted by scientists) we are quite possibly doomed.

Even though some people claimed that this process is normal for the planet, we can't ignore the fact that we are manipulating the average temperature through our CO2 emissions.

Another problem we can't ignore is the rise of our CO2 emissions. If the emissions continue to rise at the pace they are, the human race will have to adapt and change the the conditions pretty soon. High CO2 levels is already a problem, take a look at China, outdoor gyms in bubbles, certain school days being taken off because of the dangerous air, and even canned air for goodness sake. People have to keep air freshners/cleaners in their room(takes the polluted air and converts it to clean-ish air). China might be the first to be affected this seriously, but that doesn't mean that other countries wont be affected.

Other than temperature manipulation and CO2 emissions we also have to keep in mind the damage to the environment, the habitats destroyed, our consumption and our trash expulsion. We see animals get endangered or extinct every day. The human race is consuming more and more as the population rises, resulting in more and more waste. Both the consumption and the expulsion damages the environment.

Now, this doesn't mean that we are doing nothing to stop it, we are already developing cars that run on electricity, recycling systems, alternative sources of energy and more. The problem is, it isn't enough. The human race needs a miracle to save us. But not a miracle as in something that might not happen. But as something like a breakthrough. As in the discovery of electricity, gravity and such. We need a new form of energy that will provide us sufficiently.

Yeah.

Heh. What? If the govt. is making up the idea that exhaust emitted and mass pollution that gas-guzzlers make, why? What's in it for them? They're just creating more expensive vehicles to produce and they seem to be pretty successful. And if greenhouse gases and global warning is a hoax, fine, but don't you at least want to minimize the pollution created by heavy trucks by owning a battery-reliable car? And gas prices, like keys in TF2, are always going to go up. I see no reason the people have to lose being told (for a fact) that global warning is happening and we should stop it.

Like I said, sustainability is a great idea, but it's being used as part of some global warming crap. We will obviously have to find new energy resources , and money spent on tackling "global warming" could actually be used to fund research instead.

• 4 weeks later...

So yeah. I started watching ted talks again and came across this.

Basically bill gates talks about the future of global warming's effects on our planet and what we have to do to save ourselves.

I honestly dont think we will be able to reduce CO2 emmissions down by 80% because the future relies on the next generation, and from what i know, the next generation is lazy af

Any thoughts?

I'd just like to say, 80% by what year? By 2020, the "realistic" goal for carbon emmissions is down by 15%, set by the Global Carbon Emmissions Council; fucking really?! 15%?! Well we are fucked if we don't do something to stop, even reverse, the effects of global warming; skeptic or not.

If we want to stop global warming, there are certain things that need to be done:

1. Research we need to pool a portion of all economic resources into researching sustainable energies, as well as possible method of actively reducing the amount of carbon dioxide and other pollutants in the atmosphere
  2. Educate by this I mean we need to educate all the generations to come, as well as existing ones, about how to reduce their carbon emmissions, as well as how to recycle and reuse in order to promote sustainability
  3. Stop governments need to realize that we should move towards a more sustainable future; things like the introduction of taxes on mining and fossil-fuel trading would be step in the right direction

By the way, this is only one aspect of global warming... There are many more things that contribute to global warming, I just can't be bothered to list them.

If we want to stop global warming, there are certain things that need to be done:

1. Research we need to pool a portion of all economic resources into researching sustainable energies, as well as possible method of actively reducing the amount of carbon dioxide and other pollutants in the atmosphere
  2. Educate by this I mean we need to educate all the generations to come, as well as existing ones, about how to reduce their carbon emmissions, as well as how to recycle and reuse in order to promote sustainability
  3. Stop governments need to realize that we should move towards a more sustainable future; things like the introduction of taxes on mining and fossil-fuel trading would be step in the right direction

By the way, this is only one aspect of global warming... There are many more things that contribute to global warming, I just can't be bothered to list them.

I'm not too concerned about global warming. I'm more concerned about global cooling. Actually, I'm concerned about both equally. They cancel each other out. Easy.

How to save Earth:

1. Tell humanity they have found a better planet to live on.

2. Tell humanity to release their pets into their natural habitats.

3. Load humanity onto a giant ship.

4. Dump humanity in space because we can't afford to ruin another planet.

I'm not too concerned about global warming. I'm more concerned about global cooling. Actually, I'm concerned about both equally. They cancel each other out. Easy.

"Global" cooling won't be global lel, global warming affects more people anyways...

Not everyone in the next generation are stupid, but most are.

Global Warming is both good and bad, without C02, we would not exist

CO2 is good, but in the high amounts in which it's released, is not good atl all lol

Just looking at this kinda tells me that there is some chance of saving us :P Cuz people here actually sound intelligent, compared to the half brained people that attend at my school.

But yeah the future does seem kind of bleak. We basically have more or less 16 years to solve our problem. If not,(as predicted by scientists) we are quite possibly doomed.

Even though some people claimed that this process is normal for the planet, we can't ignore the fact that we are manipulating the average temperature through our CO2 emissions.

Another problem we can't ignore is the rise of our CO2 emissions. If the emissions continue to rise at the pace they are, the human race will have to adapt and change the the conditions pretty soon. High CO2 levels is already a problem, take a look at China, outdoor gyms in bubbles, certain school days being taken off because of the dangerous air, and even canned air for goodness sake. People have to keep air freshners/cleaners in their room(takes the polluted air and converts it to clean-ish air). China might be the first to be affected this seriously, but that doesn't mean that other countries wont be affected.

Other than temperature manipulation and CO2 emissions we also have to keep in mind the damage to the environment, the habitats destroyed, our consumption and our trash expulsion. We see animals get endangered or extinct every day. The human race is consuming more and more as the population rises, resulting in more and more waste. Both the consumption and the expulsion damages the environment.

Now, this doesn't mean that we are doing nothing to stop it, we are already developing cars that run on electricity, recycling systems, alternative sources of energy and more. The problem is, it isn't enough. The human race needs a miracle to save us. But not a miracle as in something that might not happen. But as something like a breakthrough. As in the discovery of electricity, gravity and such. We need a new form of energy that will provide us sufficiently.

Yeah.

By the way, men will be doomed anyways. With the average temperature increasing, fertility in men will decrease, unless we somehow manage to rapidly evolve in 2 decades (which, won't happen). When there are no fertile men left, only females will be born; the genes that decide if a fetus is male only come from men, without that gene, only females are able to be born. BTW, scientists have found out how to impregnate women with bone marrow from other women :o

Archived