New Rules for Background Checks

Teeny Tiny Cat

Apologies if you already explained this in the post, I'm in a hurry and just skimmed over it...

What exactly do you mean when you say, "All trades above 15 keys in value on either side of the trade must be background checked." Does that mean we are just required to look at the other person's profile and SteamRep? Or is there something else we are supposed to do. Also, if it's just checking the other person's profile, is there a way that you, as mods/admins, can see if we did or not? Thanks!

~ Creepy

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Phink said:

i have been banned for about a year now so and my appeal was rejected. 

When/how can i make a new appeal? 

You can reopen your old appeal. Please PM a mod if you're having trouble.

8 minutes ago, Creepy said:

Apologies if you already explained this in the post, I'm in a hurry and just skimmed over it...

What exactly do you mean when you say, "All trades above 15 keys in value on either side of the trade must be background checked." Does that mean we are just required to look at the other person's profile and SteamRep? Or is there something else we are supposed to do. Also, if it's just checking the other person's profile, is there a way that you, as mods/admins, can see if we did or not? Thanks!

~ Creepy

Yes, it means you need to check if the person is marked on Steamrep. Why do you need a mod/admin to know you've done that? The purpose of doing it is so you can avoid trading with marked scammers.

Didnt see someone else ask so ill toss this one in

With regard to the "gambling with scammers" no longer being bannable, will those who have that ban + a "do not trade" tag be eligible to have their sales used in a suggestion?

Also, will the changes be retroactive or will it only be from this day forward? 

• Administrators
Just now, Serpentine said:

Didnt see someone else ask so ill toss this one in

With regard to the "gambling with scammers" no longer being bannable, will those who have that ban + a "do not trade" tag be eligible to have their sales used in a suggestion?

Also, will the changes be retroactive or will it only be from this day forward? 

I don't think anyone has a "do not trade" note on their ban reason if they are only banned for gambling with scammers... Scammer, scammer alt, and scammer fence sales, will remain ineligible for suggestions.

It has changed moving forward, but people banned under the old rules will be allowed to appeal.

Thanks for the response! When I was asking about if a mod/admin can see if we did or not, I was asking because I was wondering if there was a penalty. You made it out to sound like it was 100% necessary. I was just wondering because for example, if you forgot to, would we get in trouble for it? But I understand now. Thanks again!

~ Creepy

Hmmm mixed bag. I welcome the changes to gambling with scammers. No way to avoid gambling with a scammer if they contribute to a pot after you do for example, or even if they don't you cannot background check everyone in a pot before you enter.

We'll see how this plays out in terms of regular trading though - although initially i thought that more scammers would start showing up since it is now easier to obtain and dump items, i realised that they could do this easily anyway. No real way to tell if this change is a positive or negative yet but I appreciate the initiative to removing rules that are outdated/serve more of a figurehead position

edit: how much is "regularly"? i feel it would be better to have a specific number of times one can make trades like this to avoid blurring lines and having inconsistent ban criteria

6 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

I don't think anyone has a "do not trade" note on their ban reason if they are only banned for gambling with scammers... Scammer, scammer alt, and scammer fence sales, will remain ineligible for suggestions.

It has changed moving forward, but people banned under the old rules will be allowed to appeal.

https://backpack.tf/u/76561198072367315

1 hour ago, Torb | Elite Spell Trader™ said:

Thats exactly the case i had in mind, he doesnt seem to be linked to any form of scamming / fencing himself outside of alot of gambling, im curious why the tag was applied in the first place / if it will now be automatically removed even if the ban isnt.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, sfpt said:

edit: how much is "regularly"? i feel it would be better to have a specific number of times one can make trades like this to avoid blurring lines and having inconsistent ban criteria

I am not gonna put a figure on this, sorry. Don't routinely/intentionally trade with scammers and you'll be safe. 

7 hours ago, Torb | Elite Spell Trader™ said:

No idea why that's on his profile, the mod made an error. Doesn't relate to suggestions either way.

16 hours ago, Apeiron said:

I wonder that If there is a banned trader in a valuable item's history (It might be the record of a year ago.), but recent few traders are clean, in this case, Is that okay to trade with this item?

I don't really understand this question. It doesn't matter who is in the history of an item, just who you're trading the item with.

1 hour ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

I don't really understand this question. It doesn't matter who is in the history of an item, just who you're trading the item with.

This ( BitSkins #2121 [611] & 76561198136468544 ) was what I meant. There are traders that labeled as scammer in item's history. Looks like it's okay if you don't buy from scammers directly.

19 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

You can reopen your old appeal. Please PM a mod if you're having trouble.

Yes, it means you need to check if the person is marked on Steamrep. Why do you need a mod/admin to know you've done that? The purpose of doing it is so you can avoid trading with marked scammers.

Where can i find mods to PM? 

On 5/25/2019 at 6:44 AM, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

- If a trader knowingly fails to meet these expectations and is found to intentionally trade with Steamrep-marked scammers, the ban will instantly be a permanent one. 

- If a trader is found to be regularly buying items from accounts banned on backpack.tf as a scammer, scammer alt, or scammer fence they may receive a ban even if those accounts are not marked on Steamrep.

On 5/25/2019 at 6:44 AM, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

Lastly, we will no longer be banning users for accessing gambling sites, even if scammers are also using those sites.

I am guessing the latter absolves the former even when it's regularily and very high value?

I've seen a few cases of people knowingly gambling with scammers - how would those be treated?

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Phink said:

Where can i find mods to PM? 

The report mods are listed in the original post.

1 minute ago, xxBonsai99xx said:

I am guessing the latter absolves the former even when it's regularily and very high value?

I've seen a few cases of people knowingly gambling with scammers - how would those be treated?

We are not banning for gambling with scammers. It's not a trade. You can't control who puts into a pot after you do.

1 hour ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

The report mods are listed in the original post.

We are not banning for gambling with scammers. It's not a trade. You can't control who puts into a pot after you do.

what about spycrab or 1v1 gamble via website?bannable?

18 minutes ago, Diamond jozu said:

Spycrabbing should definitely be bannable from what I understood, but if you're reffering to sites like tf2hunt, I don't think so.

Before you can BG-check ANYONE, the 1v1 will probably be reserved while you're still typing "rep.tf" or something into your search bar.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Diamond jozu said:

55 minutes ago, rndmchrs said:

Spycrabbing should definitely be bannable from what I understood, but if you're reffering to sites like tf2hunt, I don't think so.

Before you can BG-check ANYONE, the 1v1 will probably be reserved while you're still typing "rep.tf" or something into your search bar.

I don't recall anyone ever reporting anyone else for spycrabbing with a scammer in the 3-4 years I've been moderating this website, so I'm not sure why this is super important but yeah I guess one-to-one gambling could be treated as trading.

to clarify any user who was banned for gambling will they become unbanned? also if you've been banned temp for trading scammers does that already count as your 1st offence or does it all restart now

4 hours ago, saveriocello said:

to clarify any user who was banned for gambling will they become unbanned? also if you've been banned temp for trading scammers does that already count as your 1st offence or does it all restart now

If you make an appeal, then maybe you will be unbanned, if the offense you made is no longer against the rules. If your tempban for trading scammers would still be against the rules (steamrep marked) then it is still an offence. If you are tempbanned for trading someone not marked on steamrep then you can likely appeal.

I currently have a ban for gambling with s scammer and I was going to have to wait 6 months to appeal this case, but now that the rules have changed does it mean o can getter ban removed now ? Or do I still have to wait ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just give us an almighty bible API that we can send a steamid64 to and the site returns weither or not we're allowed to trade.

• 9 months later...

what happend if i have a buy order for a item under 15 keys  , and the person who send me a offer is a scammer ?, can i get ban for idk , give him 14 keys for a item?

5 minutes ago, Tejojo said:

what happend if i have a buy order for a item under 15 keys  , and the person who send me a offer is a scammer ?, can i get ban for idk , give him 14 keys for a item?

This should answer your question:

The cutoff in item values for which we expect traders to complete a background check is 15 keys value on either side of the trade (so, for example, if you buy a 30 key hat for 14 keys you still need to do a background check). For trades under 15 keys in value, we do not require that you complete a background check.