New Rules for Background Checks

Teeny Tiny Cat

10 hours ago, Tejojo said:

i see so i can trade with scammers items with bp price under 15 keys

No, you dont have to do a background check when both sides of the trade are <15 keys.

If you trade a scammer accidentally its fine under that price.

Trading scammers when one of the sides is >15 keys is bannable

Trading scammers while knowing they are a scammer, is a permanent ban

• 1 month later...

How can moderators determine whether an user "knowingly fails" or "accidentally fails" to background check a scammer?

Only quite unsure about this part of the post.

8 hours ago, phnx said:

How can moderators determine whether an user "knowingly fails" or "accidentally fails" to background check a scammer?

Only quite unsure about this part of the post.

We rarely ban someone for knowingly doing this. But theres multiple ways this can happen

If there are multiple trades with that same scammer, its unlikely they didn't look them up once.

If they've been friends for like a year, also unlikely they didn't know.

They simply confess they knew / there is evidence that shows they knew.

• 1 month later...

None of these rules define, anything about buying from middleman sites like marketplace.tf, cs.deals or mannco.store. Would love to have some clarification on that point. So I don't get banned for buying a hat from one of those.

• 2 months later...

What would happen if someone traded a lot with a scammer but didn't know they were a scammer?

We rarely ban someone for knowingly doing this. But theres multiple ways this can happen

If there are multiple trades with that same scammer, its unlikely they didn't look them up once.

If they've been friends for like a year, also unlikely they didn't know.

They simply confess they knew / there is evidence that shows they knew.

•  

Or when someone traded a lot with a scammer and know he is a scammer but didn't know its not good to trade with him ?

4 hours ago, Trading said:

What would happen if someone traded a lot with a scammer but didn't know they were a scammer?

Or when someone traded a lot with a scammer and know he is a scammer but didn't know its not good to trade with him ?

Size or amount of trades determine the ban length.

Not knowing the rules does not grant you immunity to a ban. Same rules apply

• 8 months later...

Clarification on classifieds rule 6 and the recent marketplace.tf seller change.

After the rule change for whitelisted sellers on marketplace.tf some people were confused what this would mean for classifieds rule 6, this post is only to clarify any confusion about that rule.

If you have a valid reason to decline a trade from a user then you're allowed to do so. That is how the rule always was. Declining a trade from a marketplace banned user because you'd get removed from the whitelist is a valid reason.

• 1 month later...

So if I understand this correctly. Its okey to trade with person that is marked of Backpack for " Knowingly trading with Marked Scammer multiple times. ", as long he/she does have " normal " on STEAMREP? ( Dont want to get myself banned so I rather ask this in advance ) 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello 

Can someone please help me understand this section of the rules:

If the account you would trade with is marked on Steamrep, you cannot complete the trade.

- If a trader accidentally fails to meet these expectations, they will receive a temporary ban, escalating with number of offences (see ban durations below).

- If a trader knowingly fails to meet these expectations and is found to intentionally trade with Steamrep-marked scammers

Cause I understand if there a ton of red flags all over rep.tf don’t do it that just common sense my question is. Sometimes I go on rep.tf to check people for items I want and find they were banned from firepower for like a 1 day or 3 days does that consider them as scammers if A they were banned for only 1 day and it was back in 2015? 

21 minutes ago, TheBrightZone said:

Hello 

Can someone please help me understand this section of the rules:

If the account you would trade with is marked on Steamrep, you cannot complete the trade.

- If a trader accidentally fails to meet these expectations, they will receive a temporary ban, escalating with number of offences (see ban durations below).

- If a trader knowingly fails to meet these expectations and is found to intentionally trade with Steamrep-marked scammers

Cause I understand if there a ton of red flags all over rep.tf don’t do it that just common sense my question is. Sometimes I go on rep.tf to check people for items I want and find they were banned from firepower for like a 1 day or 3 days does that consider them as scammers if A they were banned for only 1 day and it was back in 2015? 

No it does not consider them as scammers, if they have bans on record / are currently banned on firepowered you can trade them. Not if they have a any scammer tag on SteamRep.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

How do these rules interact with old VAC bans, as there's a good number of people who have gotten VAC bans long ago (like in the scale of over 5 years, a good few over a whole decade ago) but could be deemed trustworthy now.
Just VAC banned accounts don't seem to change steamrep's mark from within backpack.tf, but it does have a note in steamrep specific to vac bans.image.png.a4252e4c75d1ba1b5de64b4a93d4adca.png
and rep.tf mark's it in yellow, as opposed to the red shown in other parts of the background check documentation

so my main question is, assuming no other issues, no evidence of scams or anything, is it fine to trade with someone with a years old vac ban?

1 hour ago, ReCodedBeans said:

How do these rules interact with old VAC bans, as there's a good number of people who have gotten VAC bans long ago (like in the scale of over 5 years, a good few over a whole decade ago) but could be deemed trustworthy now.
Just VAC banned accounts don't seem to change steamrep's mark from within backpack.tf, but it does have a note in steamrep specific to vac bans.image.png.a4252e4c75d1ba1b5de64b4a93d4adca.png
and rep.tf mark's it in yellow, as opposed to the red shown in other parts of the background check documentation

so my main question is, assuming no other issues, no evidence of scams or anything, is it fine to trade with someone with a years old vac ban?

if ur worried about getting marked or something for trading with a vac-banned profile, that won't happen

if ur worried about trusting them, look at other trust factors

for example, check my bp profile and see if you trust me, idk

On 9/24/2023 at 10:58 PM, ReCodedBeans said:

is it fine to trade with someone with a years old vac ban?

Yes, any VAC ban even. This has not changed