Youth pot smoking rises as attitudes shift

Santa Heavy

Implying all the stoners out there are getting high for medical purposes. I have no issue with medical uses, I'm saying the people who use it for recreational uses need self-control.

People who do weed aren't really harmful. Weed as a fact chills people out, makes them unwind. Our government is incredibly inconsistent with what we ban and what we consider dangerous. Alcohol is plenty times worse than weed, yet it's perfectly legal and can be found in pretty much any store.

someone claimed the weed was necessary for society and I have shown that it is not. 

Internet isn't necessary, cars aren't necessary, computers aren't necessary, steak isn't necessary....where would you like to go with this? 

People who do weed aren't really harmful. Weed as a fact chills people out, makes them unwind. Our government is incredibly inconsistent with what we ban and what we consider dangerous. Alcohol is plenty times worse than weed, yet it's perfectly legal and can be found in pretty much any store.

People who do weed are harmful in the sense that they will do reckless things (i.e. drive while high). As for the government being picky-and choosy--It has something to do with the power of tobacco and alcohol lobbyists. They don't want pot to become legal as it would impact sales of both. 

As for the government being picky-and choosy--It has something to do with the power of tobacco and alcohol lobbyists. They don't want pot to become legal as it would impact sales of both. 

I'm well aware of that. It's just more corporate shenanigans.

Internet isn't necessary, cars aren't necessary, computers aren't necessary, steak isn't necessary....where would you like to go with this? 

People who do weed are harmful in the sense that they will do reckless things (i.e. drive while high). As for the government being picky-and choosy--It has something to do with the power of tobacco and alcohol lobbyists. They don't want pot to become legal as it would impact sales of both. 

Where am I going with this? Idk. Someone claimed that weed was necessary for society to function, and this is obviously not true.

This conversation has gotten so incredibly off track.

But yea, the other reason weed is banned is just plain old stupid public opinion. A giant majority, and more importantly, a majority that's in control of our government, still equates marijuana to hard drugs.

Stoned people shouldn't drive, true, but neither should tired people, old people, pregnant people, people with glasses. And we have very little weed-related accidents in the Netherlands. Because when you smoke it, you become relaxed. And you just want to sit on a park bench and laugh. So people that do weed are less likely to drive because they did weed. Very much not the same wwith mushrooms/lsd or any other hallucinogen. Those are dangerous. Weed isn't more so than hundreds of legal things.

Stoned people shouldn't drive, true, but neither should tired people, old people, pregnant people, people with glasses. And we have very little weed-related accidents in the Netherlands. Because when you smoke it, you become relaxed. And you just want to sit on a park bench and laugh. So people that do weed are less likely to drive because they did weed. Very much not the same wwith mushrooms/lsd or any other hallucinogen. Those are dangerous. Weed isn't more so than hundreds of legal things.

People with glasses often see better then those that don't, since the majority of people don't have perfect vision---so those who don't have glasses more then likely need glasses. There aren't many weed related accidents in the US either, but keep something in mind, the Netherlands is relatively small; and very easy to get around without driving. If you can't drive in America you'll have a very hard time getting around as the mass transit system outside of large cities is nonexistent. 

I've smoked weed pretty much every day for the last 5 years and seems to be treating me fine so far. I would never tell someone else to start using drugs, but I definitely wouldn't stop them either. Trying LSD was probably the best choice I've ever made in my life. Mushrooms were really fun too, but a little scary. Once you use anything in moderation I think it's okay to experiment. People drink shit loads of alcohol and smoke tobacco all the time. Tobacco use has killed significantly more people than all other legal and illegal drugs combined, so the hypocrisy sort of cancels out the logic. Smoking when you're pretty young probably isn't a good idea though, as there is significant research done on heavy adolescent use with regard to anxiety disorders, social disorders as well as memory problems and a few other things. It's rarely the lone "cause" for any one individual thing, but it's definitely a factor that shouldn't be ignored.

Weed stinks of old sweat. Actually, it depends on the type of weed; good weed smells like fresh sweat (slightly sweet), medicore weed smells like stale sweat.

I spent a good portion of my late teens smoking the stuff - probably 17-19 years old, almost ten years ago now. It's addictive and quite dangerous, anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have first-hand experience of smoking it for a prolonged period of time.

How is it dangerous? And it's only mentally addictive, not physically.  Well actually, there's a 10% chance or less that you'll get physically addicted, but that's the same percentage for getting addicted to pretty much anything. You can get addicted to chapsstick, for christ's sake.

Mentally addictive isn't somehow easier or better than physically. But you cannot get physically dependant on cannabinoids anyway, so 10% of the time is untrue. I have to disagree with Pokey in this instance, but I'm definitely not saying it's safe. It works for some, it doesn't work for others. I've never smelt weed like old sweat before though, lol

I smoke weed for my stomach pain associated with my other medications (i have chronic psychological conditions). When I was younger it was just occasionally to have fun but since I started on my current set of medications it has been nearly impossible to eat without marijuana (I lost nearly 20 pounds before I started smoking regularly).

Also, you're complaining about a substance with a death/injury rate of nearly 0.

Mentally addictive isn't somehow easier or better than physically. But you cannot get physically dependant on cannabinoids anyway, so 10% of the time is untrue. I have to disagree with Pokey in this instance, but I'm definitely not saying it's safe. It works for some, it doesn't work for others. I've never smelt weed like old sweat before though, lol

Try being physically addicted to heroin and tell me it's not easier to quit than being mentally addicted to marijuana. 

Try being physically addicted to heroin and tell me it's not easier to quit than being mentally addicted to marijuana. 

wowoowow. That escalated pretty quickly. Heroin is a whole different substance and is dangerous and imho should be banned. Heroin is seriously not cool.

Completely irrelevant, but it could be said that we are all mentally addicted to video games. I can easily quit playing video games. However, if you're physically addicted to video games (which is not possible), video games become a necessity, and not a luxury. Either way, don't derail this thread. 

Archived