Let's talk gun politics.

CheddarZX

What do you think about gun laws? Are they too strict, fair, or too lenient? Why?

What steps do you think should be taken to improve safety/what gun laws or restrictions do you think should be added, modified or removed?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think about gun laws? Are they too strict, fair, or too lenient? Why?

What steps do you think should be taken to improve safety/what gun laws or restrictions do you think should be added, modified or removed?

Too strict, after the whole newtown thing gun control got beefed up for no good reason.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Too strict, after the whole newtown thing gun control got beefed up for no good reason.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

I agree. I used to think we should ban tons of guns after that incident but then I realized that criminals pretty much never buy their guns legally (if they even use legal guns at all).

The problem with gun laws is they are not enforced. People keep saying we need more gun laws but there are plenty of laws in place already covering what people think we need laws for. Enforce the laws we have rather than creating new ones

We dont need better gun control imo, we need better ways to decect if people are mentaly unstable. Besides if someone wants to kill someone and can't get a gun, this doesn't meen they won't try to kill them with a "non firearm"

use tazers instead. nobody dies. safer. still effective. 

No range, not as much of a threat. 

I'd be more willing to run from a cop if he's only pointing a taser at me rather than a gun.

We dont need better gun control imo, we need better ways to decect if people are mentaly unstable. Besides if someone wants to kill someone and can't get a gun, this doesn't meen they won't try to kill them with a "non firearm"

Everyone needs to just walk around with a gun. Who's going to rob someone when that person and everyone around him potentially has a gun. 

Automatic assault rifles are not needed in this country, not even for defense. What to defend yourself? Get a Smith and Wesson or small pistol, no reason for a fucking machine gun. Most people will say, "Well I like to hunt with my semi-automatics" or "What if the burglar that breaks in or the rapist that grabs me has a big gun?" First of all, hunting with semi-automatics? You can do that with a low-powered rifle. If you're hunting with a semi-automatic weapon, one, that's not fair to the animal, two, your kill will look like shit when you pose your douchebag face in front of it for the camera. A burglar with a big gun will never rob a lone house and a rapist will never have the cash or the requirements to get a gun in the first place. In both of these cases, pepper spray or a baseball bat can be a highly effective choice of defending yourself. Oh, you like to clean guns, yeah? Get a real hobby. Go fishing or collect stamps or something, just to make the work d a better place for the rest of us. You've seen on the news that mentally challenged people and underaged youth can acquire guns. This falls on the government to enforce and have stricter requirements for people purchasing a gun. Also, many parents leave their gun that they have for protection in a not-so-safe place. Parents should learn to lock their weapons up so their moronic, suicidal adolescents get a hold of them and start to either harm themselves, family members, domestic pets/animals, school mates or property; all of these are not only what CAN happen, but what HAS happened far too many times than it should have. I'm not sure how to end this, so to all those people who believe guns kill people,

and die if would kindly.

1) Automatic assault rifles are not needed in this country, not even for defense. What to defend yourself? Get a Smith and Wesson or small pistol, no reason for a fucking machine gun. Most people will say, "Well I like to hunt with my semi-automatics" or "What if the burglar that breaks in or the rapist that grabs me has a big gun?" First of all, hunting with semi-automatics? You can do that with a low-powered rifle. If you're hunting with a semi-automatic weapon, one, that's not fair to the animal, two, your kill will look like shit when you pose your douchebag face in front of it for the camera. A burglar with a big gun will never rob a lone house and a rapist will never have the cash or the requirements to get a gun in the first place. In both of these cases, pepper spray or a baseball bat can be a highly effective choice of defending yourself.

2) Also, many parents leave their gun that they have for protection in a not-so-safe place. Parents should learn to lock their weapons up so their moronic, suicidal adolescents get a hold of them and start to either harm themselves, family members, domestic pets/animals, school mates or property; all of these are not only what CAN happen, but what HAS happened far too many times than it should have. I'm not sure how to end this, so to all those people who believe guns kill people, take this and die if would kindly.

1) Not to mention their also terrible for home defense since you can't easily maneuver a gun with a huge barrel in close quarters. But, banning assault rifles really wouldn't change anything---yea, theres no reason for anyone to have one, but it doesn't matter all that much. You can still do plenty damage with a 9mm barretta. 

2) People are idiots. Society as a whole is retarded. We live in a world where people don't have any common sense, at all. Rather then enforcing strict gun policies, why not try to enforce education; like you know, actually providing a decent education. It also wouldn't hurt if the whole education system was revamped.

Some education reformation stuff:

The problem is theres really no incentive to learn. All you need to do is memorize shit before the test and then forget it immediately after. Rather then teaching for a test, "life" should be the test. Students should need to apply what they learn in real-life situations--and therefore be encouraged to actually learn the material, AND gain real-life experiences. 

I think we are doing good with very strict gun laws here...Nobody can buy a gun unless he has a license. Same for ammunition I guess (not too sure since I don't really care).

(I'm from the US, so some of what I talk about may not be applicable in your country. Most of it, however, can be.)

I'm actually much more frightened of being in a "gun-free zone" than I am in an area where guns are allowed to be carried.

Have you ever noticed that most mass shootings occur in areas where no one is allowed to carry a firearm? Do you know why?

The same reason they don't happen at shooting ranges.

Let's pretend you're a homicidal maniac with the goal of killing as many people as possible in a short period of time before being killed or subdued. 

Are you going to pick the area where people could be potentially armed, or the area where people are not going to be armed?

Quite obviously, you're going to go with the group that is unarmed, because they can't shoot back.

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

That leads me to my next point. 

Let's say guns were outlawed tomorrow. Everyone would be required to turn in their weapons to the government to be destroyed. 

Except.... Bad guys don't follow rules. You would only be disarming the good guys. The bad guys would still be armed, and would probably be able to obtain more weapons and ammo from illegal sources. 

Except... We still have the police to protect us from those ne'er-do-wells, right? Kind of. The police have no legal obligation to protect you. You are responsible for your own safety. Their job is to hunt down and lock up the criminals. 

Heck, even if they did have a legal obligation to protect you, can you really wait the 2-15 minutes it takes them to get to you? You might, if it's a burglar who just broke in to your house and is currently ransacking it. But what about other instances? What if you're assaulted and mugged on the street? You can't exactly pull out your phone, call the police, and wait for them to get there. You need to defend yourself. The best way to do this is with a gun. 

/rantover

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

That leads me to my next point. 

Let's say guns were outlawed tomorrow. Everyone would be required to turn in their weapons to the government to be destroyed. 

Except.... Bad guys don't follow rules. You would only be disarming the good guys. The bad guys would still be armed, and would probably be able to obtain more weapons and ammo from illegal sources. 

Just saying but in Australia it's pretty darn hard and near impossible for anyone to get their hands on a gun unless you're a police officer or you're way into the bush land and need one for a job (strict requirements)

People rob others here with a pocket knife and most of the time get themselves screwed over.

Though i do agree that if someone actually wanted to kill they dont have to pick a gun a kitchen knife would suffice just that guns somewhat being more available in your county makes it a bit more efficient for the killer does it not? Im probably biased as i grew up in a country where next to no one worries about guns or the other guy having a gun :P

Just saying but in Australia it's pretty darn hard and near impossible for anyone to get their hands on a gun unless you're a police officer or you're way into the bush land and need one for a job (strict requirements)

People rob others here with a pocket knife and most of the time get themselves screwed over.

Though i do agree that if someone actually wanted to kill they dont have to pick a gun a kitchen knife would suffice just that guns somewhat being more available in your county makes it a bit more efficient for the killer does it not? Im probably biased as i grew up in a country where next to no one worries about guns or the other guy having a gun :P

Very few people in america worry about people having guns; its a very odd occurrence when some gun-related crime actually occurs. 

Its just that America has about 18x the population as Australia.

Very few people in america worry about people having guns; its a very odd occurrence when some gun-related crime actually occurs. 

Its just that America has about 18x the population as Australia.

So you bring the population up again. I could understand the population rate but not pure population. In australia nearly all the people are in the coast regions as you may know, so the poplation rate is very high there usually.

So you bring the population up again. I could understand the population rate but not pure population. In australia nearly all the people are in the coast regions as you may know, so the poplation rate is very high there usually.

360 million people vs. 20 million people; population size makes a huge difference, not to mention many American cities are far more dense than Australian cities. 

Assuming 1% of people are willing to kill people, you have 3.6 Million American killers vs. 200,000 Australian killers. (Just made up 1% to prove my point) 

As long as I don't get shot, guns are totally fine.

Until I (or someone close) do(es) however...

Viewpoints.

How selfish of you. How about we remove strong firearms from the equation, so nobody gets harmed in the first place, yeah?

Actually its pretty easy for anyone 18yo+ to get a gun in Australia. Simply joining target/rifle club is enough justification for the police to issue a firearms license.

How selfish of you. How about we remove strong firearms from the equation, so nobody gets harmed in the first place, yeah?

You misunderstood me under your bias.

I merely state the two viewpoints, and why they are.

One is the general apathy of the public. Guns are fine until someone gets hurt.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/03/12/nyregion/20-years-after-the-murder-of-kitty-genovese-the-question-remains-why.html

The second is through the tears of those who have a close one dead and cannot see that guns aren't the root of all the problems in the world.

Archived