favorite book format

Vrakos Anthrakir

books  

41 members have voted

1. 1. see thread title

• paper (physical book)
    • audiobook
    • e-book (device you read from doesn't matter)
  2. 2. if you liked physical books,

• paperback
    • hardcover

Paper all the way.

It's just so weird to read a whole book on an electronic device for me personally, and usually harder to read, yes I know I can zoom.

Audiobooks can be nice late at night, something to listen to as you fall asleep.

I also like the smell of books.

which do you prefer and why

paper for myself, nothing beats the feel.  and I like to smell my books :|

lol I smell my books too, something about the glue and the ink xD

• Administrators

how come :?  cost/dust jacket :?

they hurt the webby skin bit between my thumbs and index finger because they're so hard and heavy and nooooooooooooooo.

Paper. I would say audiobook or e-device, but I just never got into using them (even though I want to).  I imagine they're much nicer, especially audio books :P

they hurt the webby skin bit between my thumbs and index finger because they're so hard and heavy and nooooooooooooooo.

and sometimes they decide to fall on your face and give you a concussion

• Administrators

and sometimes they decide to fall on your face and give you a concussion

also a valid concern.

anything but hardcover.

Hardcover is the best, paperback just flops around and I can't ever get it in a comfortable position. 

I use audiobooks at times but I never retain it as much.

why am i the only one that likes audiobooks 10000000x more than any other

maybe because Czech language is shit

i wish i could read english books but i would have to undertsnad 100% of words, wich i dont

you can use them to kill people though

I've actually used a thousand+ page paperback book to beat someone up :u  pretty effective, although hard cover works better...

Since this question was asked after this status (http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/statuses/user/14813-the-one/?status_id=360974), I'll go into some (a lot of) details. I know that Kindles do not equal every e-reader, so I'm only speaking from my experience with a Kindle.

I used to be a physical books person too, until my friends convinced me to get my Kindle. My reasons for physical books were that it was easy to write notes in the books and I wanted to build my personal physical library.

But holy shit the Kindle made my reading experience so much better. Reading on a Kindle is so much easier than physical books.

• A Kindle is lighter than majority of novels.
  • I can hold and completely control the Kindle with just one hand (comfortably too). It's difficult to turn the page in a book with just one hand.
  • Highlighting and bookmarking are also much easier. The highlighted notes are organized for you and ready to be exported. They're also synced.
  • Bottom line: I can read on my Kindle, on one hand, while standing on a crowded subway/bus for half an hour. Very difficult to do so with a physical book. 

And then there are the other features:

• Buying a book on Kindle is just a few clicks and the book is aviliable instantly. Compare this to what you have to do to get a physical book: either go to the bookstore/library, or order online and wait a few days for delivery.
  • The books are also much cheaper. Most classics on the Kindle bookstore cost $1 each. 
  • More durable than a softcover book. 
  • Being able to upload your own documents (doc, pdf etc) and read them on the Kindle.
  • Being able to read in the complete dark (built-in backlight). 
  • Being able to interact with others: instantly share a quote; see what others have highlighted; being able to link Goodreads
  • Subscribe to magazines and read them.
  • Browse webpages. Not a particularly useful feature imo, but it's there.
  • Everything is synced. Your books, your highlights, your dictionaries, your words, your documents. You can read them on a variety of devices.
  • And the most useful feature of all: built-in dictionary and vocab builder. For a student like me, defining new words and building vocabulary from books are absolutely crucial. With a physical book, I have to search up the words on a separate dictionary or on my devices. Whereas on my Kindle, all I need to do is long-press a word. There is a variety dictionaries of different languages that I can choose from. The words I search up are automatically collected and listed in the "vocab builder", which includes flashcards that I can use. I can also export the words to a document on my computer for further organizing. 

It seems like most of you just can't get used to the change in technology. Features and convenience speak for themselves. 

9NAoAI6.jpg

dbrmENn.jpg

• Administrators

i like my kindle as much as paper books, don't really have a particular preference. i have pretty much stopped buying books now. i'll still read copies i have or ones people lend or buy me, but new ones are all e-books.

E-book mostly. I travel a lot, I use public transport a lot - I cant always bring big heavy bookas with me. If I travel abroad - I usually finish 2-3-5 books, so bringing all in hard copy will not be feasible. Whereas my iPad takes no space and carries a whole library in it. Thats the biggest reason.

Secondly there are numerous of functions that are very appealing to me - I can make a bookmark (without physically bending pages etc), I can look for words/phrases if I want to re read a certain moment again, I dont need an external source of light. One of the biggest advantages of Ebook is its inbuilt vocabulary - my first language isnt english, however I like to read in English and when I come across a word I dont now I can just select it and view its meaning - very useful. 

Also I dont need to sniff, touch, chew or hug my book in order to enjoy the story it contains :D

-snip-

some of these I wouldn't count 'cause they're integral to the Kindle itself, not an e-book.  heh I have a pretty old kindle, no backlight.  did use the browsing feature to do research when I didn't have a computer available before I got a smart phone though

how durable is a kindle though?  serious question

Can't do audiobooks, not like I read much. But I just can't pay attention to an audio book. Why not just have it in your hand and go back to a place where you got confused

some of these I wouldn't count 'cause they're integral to the Kindle itself, not an e-book.  heh I have a pretty old kindle, no backlight.  did use the browsing feature to do research when I didn't have a computer available before I got a smart phone though

how durable is a kindle though?  serious question

I have a case on it, so it's pretty indestructible. Still pretty solid without a case, but there'd be more scratches. 

Vulnerable to water and the cold though.

I used to read nothing but paper books, but since I've gotten into the habit of reading fanfiction, online/on my phone is now my way to go. I can't exactly print a million words and carry it around with me (that's a lot of paper)

The only thing I prefer real books for now is the status. If I'm in class and I want to read, I look like im texting if I read from my phone, but if I'm just sitting there with a regular book the worst they'll do is tell me to pay attention.

9NAoAI6.jpg

dbrmENn.jpg

Someone is a huge fan of George owell

Also I prefer physical book (paperback FTW). But when its late and its nighttime. I tend to like using eletronic E book so I don't need a reading light

Archived