If you were President, what would you do?

CheddarZX

It's fair that those that make less money pay more than the rich? Because that's  what a flat tax does. "20% of a billion is more than 20% of 30,000!" No. No it's not. Take 20% of a the income of somebody with a 30,000 dollar income. See how it affects their life, see the sacrifices they have to commit to pay the taxes that keep this country running. Then compare it to the wealthy and see if they even bat an eyelash at the amount they pay. An amount they spend on a vacation. 

Is it fair that the poor have to sacrifice more for our government than the rich?

Well, then everyone should make exactly the same amount of money. Whether you're a garbage or a CEO you should each be making the exact same amount of money--i mean thats only fair; why should the garbage man not be given the option to live in a 10,000 sq foot house and able to eat steak for dinner everyday. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, then everyone should make exactly the same amount of money. Whether your a garbage or a CEO you should each be making the exact same amount of money--i mean thats only fair; why should the garbage man not be given the option to live in a 10,000 sq foot house and able to eat steak for dinner everyday.

Finally someone agrees with my veiwpoint. America should be even more capitalistic.

Well, then everyone should make exactly the same amount of money. Whether you're a garbage or a CEO you should each be making the exact same amount of money--i mean thats only fair; why should the garbage man not be given the option to live in a 10,000 sq foot house and able to eat steak for dinner everyday. 

That's a ridiculous analogy that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

My point that the worth to the person should be factored in, not just pure percentage because a small percentage is huge when your income is small, but is nothing when you're income is massive. Nobody's saying everybody should make the same amount of money (ohai communism). People make what they earn, are born into or whatever it is that causes them to have the money they do. That's entirely irrelevant to this conversation.

What we're talking about is proportions, not punishing the rich or rewarding the poor. The poor are still the poor and the rich are still the rich, it's a matter of making the sacrifice either class makes to the government be equal, not the hard percentage they pay.

That's a ridiculous analogy that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

My point that the worth to the person should be factored in, not just pure percentage because a small percentage is huge when your income is small, but is nothing when you're income is massive. Nobody's saying everybody should make the same amount of money (ohai communism). People make what they earn, are born into or whatever it is that causes them to have the money they do. That's entirely irrelevant to this conversation.

What we're talking about is proportions, not punishing the rich or rewarding the poor. The poor are still the poor and the rich are still the rich, it's a matter of making the sacrifice either class makes to the government be equal, not the hard percentage they pay.

O course it does. Your problem with a flat tax is that its not "fair" towards poor people. Well guess what, life isn't fair. And its not fair that a poor person can't live the same lifestyle that a rich person can. Thats just not fair. Look what that poor person has to give up because he isn't a CEO. No one should be forced to live a non-CEO lifestyle, i'm sorry. 

You're being ridiculous again. This isn't about life being unfair, it's about the government being unfair. A flat rate punishes the poor for being poor, which is in and of itself already a punishment. It punishes the poor by technically making them have to pay more than the rich. This isn't a matter of "OH WELP, NOTHING WE CAN DO. IT'S JUST BETTER TO BE RICH." No. In general of course that's the rule, it's what comes with an economy. Taxes are something that are most definitely in our control however, and it's extremely naive and ignorant to just say "Life's not fair."

You're basically saying "it's unfair that poor people are poor in the first place, so who cares if we make them sacrifice more than the rich, their life already sucks anyways."

You're being ridiculous again. This isn't about life being unfair, it's about the government being unfair. A flat rate punishes the poor for being poor, which is in and of itself already a punishment. It punishes the poor by technically making them have to pay more than the rich. This isn't a matter of "OH WELP, NOTHING WE CAN DO. IT'S JUST BETTER TO BE RICH." No. In general of course that's the rule, it's what comes with an economy. Taxes are something that are most definitely in our control however, and it's extremely naive and ignorant to just say "Life's not fair."

You're basically saying "it's unfair that poor people are poor in the first place, so who cares if we make them sacrifice more than the rich, their life already sucks anyways."

No, I'm saying the rich should give all their money to the poor.

America is capitalistic, let's assume said country as such.

In capitalism the poor have very little chance of rising up. The rich get richer and richer.

if( you have money )

you have the capability of making quality products to sell for profit.

else

you stay poor. The American dream doesn't really exist. It's a catch-22.

The poor are going to go poor anyway.

Gaining the profit even if you have money requires work to make the quality product. The rich do that, or use their money to employ people to do it.

The poor do nothing. They stay poor and do not make anything, products, money, or otherwise.

A flat tax is fair as it treats everyone equally, asking a person to pay more because he worked harder makes little sense.

No, I'm saying the rich should give all their money to the poor.

lol, ok

America is capitalistic, let's assume said country as such.

In capitalism the poor have very little chance of rising up. The rich get richer and richer.

if( you have money )

you have the capability of making quality products to sell for profit.

else

you stay poor. The American dream doesn't really exist. It's a catch-22.

The poor are going to go poor anyway.

Gaining the profit even if you have money requires work to make the quality product. The rich do that, or use their money to employ people to do it.

The poor do nothing. They stay poor and do not make anything, products, money, or otherwise.

A flat tax is fair as it treats everyone equally, asking a person to pay more because he worked harder makes little sense.

No it's not a catch-22, there are thousands of ways of succeeding in the American economy and it happens all the time. But more importantly, what you just said is incredible wrong and a mentality that will doom this nation and this world.

"The poor are going to go poor anyway"

Seriously? 

"The poor do nothing"

Seriously?

and a flat tax IS NOT. EQUAL FOR EVERYONE. That's what you're not understanding. 20% for everyone isn't equal because 20% for a poor person is much worse than 30 percent for a rich person, because it hurts them much more. The percentage is equal, but the monetary sacrifice they make is not.

and a flat tax IS NOT. EQUAL FOR EVERYONE. That's what you're not understanding. 20% for everyone isn't equal because 20% for a poor person is much worse than 30 percent for a rich person, because it hurts them much more. The percentage is equal, but the monetary sacrifice they make is not.

Okay. How about this: store owners decide a base price for each item. However, to each person it will cost them (yearly income/average income) * (base price). Is this fair?

lol, ok

Do you not understand a hypothetical?

Yes its fair, because customers choose to shop there and choose what to buy. You don't choose to pay taxes.

Do you not understand that that hypothetical contributes nothing to the conversation, hence my amusement?

• 1 month later...

End the federal reserve (if I don't get assassinated first)

end the NSA

end the IRS

end the EPA

end DHS

end FEMA

overhaul the FBI, CIA and DOJ

get rid of all other wasteful government agencies

create very limited agencies for essencial operations

get rid of any officals that violate the constitution

throw out the NDAA

bring troops home

legalize all semi-automatic firemarms

legalize marijuana

cut most spending, lower taxes, heavily reduce regulation, get rid of senseless, stupid laws

cut welfare to able-bodied recipients if they are not looking for a job

overturn roe v. wade, defund planned parenthood and close abortion centers

make adoption easier and more affordable

create a separate civil institution for lgbt folk that does not involve raising children

pass laws discouraging no-fault divorce for married couples with children

secure the borders and deport illegal aliens

get rid of restrictions limiting or blocking domestic oil and coal production

overhaul public education and replace all the junk curriculum

repeal the inaffordable care act and other unconstitutional laws and executive orders

stop funding al qaeda.

I agree with most of this, but this is basically not possible. (the second part)

Yes its fair, because customers choose to shop there and choose what to buy. You don't choose to pay taxes.

Do you not understand that that hypothetical contributes nothing to the conversation, hence my amusement?

Do you understand that hypotheticals are able to take somewhat complex logic and simplify it? We're arguing about something. I can take your shitty logic and apply it to my hypothetical and it looks absolutely stupid there, so why does it work in other instances? It doesn't.

Well I wouldn't be able to do much because I doubt congress will approve of my ideas and the Supreme Court will find my ideas unconstitutional.

End the federal reserve (if I don't get assassinated first)

end the NSA

end the IRS

end the EPA

end DHS

end FEMA

overhaul the FBI, CIA and DOJ

create very limited agencies for essencial operations

get rid of any officals that violate the constitution

throw out the NDAA

bring troops home

legalize all semi-automatic firemarms

legalize marijuana

cut most spending, lower taxes, heavily reduce regulation, get rid of senseless, stupid laws

cut welfare to able-bodied recipients if they are not looking for a job

overturn roe v. wade, defund planned parenthood and close abortion centers

make adoption easier and more affordable

create a separate civil institution for lgbt folk that does not involve raising children

pass laws discouraging no-fault divorce for married couples with children

get rid of restrictions limiting or blocking domestic oil and coal production

overhaul public education and replace all the junk curriculum

repeal the inaffordable care act and other unconstitutional laws and executive orders

stop funding al qaeda.

I disagree with all the stuff you said. Well almost all.

so just to be clear, you want to get rid of government in its entirety.

//not disagreeing with you, i tend to agree with a lot of that stuff...

>cut back on bullshit programs

>stop giving people welfare if they don't actually need it 

>get rid of social security (talk about a fucking scam...)

>get rid of lawyers (and the shithole they've turned our medical system into)

>get rid of virtually all government run programs and outsource them to companies (the government can't run a business for shit)

>force illegal aliens to pay taxes (and/or kick them out--one or the other)

>incentivize natural gas and the research into new power sources 

>Start to use our own oil reserves (alaska) and natural gas reserves (most of the conintental US) rather than foreign oil 

>Leave the UN

>redesign public education in a way that actually encourages people to learn rather than "learning" for a test

• 1 month later...

If I became the president I would force everyone to eat Instant Noodles everyday until they die! Muahahahaha  :lol:

If I became the president I would force everyone to eat Instant Noodles everyday until they die! Muahahahaha  :lol:

Jokes on you, broke college people already do  :lol:

Wait that's still illegal in some parts? Oh my...

Being gay isn't illegal. Gay marriage isn't legal in all parts of the country but if IIRC, states have to recognize marriages from other states.

>Leave the UN

The UN is America's Yes Man, leaving it would be a bad idea as we would lose the "official" power to sanction nations. It would also likely result in a global power restructuring where the UN crumbled.

The UN is America's Yes Man, leaving it would be a bad idea as we would lose the "official" power to sanction nations. It would also likely result in a global power restructuring where the UN crumbled.

I'm perfectly okay with the UN crumbling. 

I. Put and end to legalized bribery.

II. Stop locking people up for non-violent drug offenses.

III. Make sure the people in the senate and congress aren't religious nut jobs.

If you were president, you wouldn't be able to accomplish half of your goals, with Congress calling the shots. GET REAL ABOUT YOUR HYPOTHETICALS!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived