New Macbook Pros, a huge middle finger.

AwesomeMcCoolName

both are overpriced. end of discussion

any non-custom built computer is overpriced as not only are you paying for the components but you're also paying for someone else and the multi-million dollar machines required to assemble it.

any non-custom built computer is overpriced as not only are you paying for the components but you're also paying for someone else and the multi-million dollar machines required to assemble it.

correct. but now back to topic

my point is, digital storms are just as overpriced as macs are if you're going to compare them to a custom rig.

Also, something to keep in mind, macs have sell-ability to them. I had a friend who sold his 2 year old mac for $800 (the new mac, i believe was $1200~). You can have fun selling a 2 year old windows computer for even a quarter of what you paid for it. 

Once again, you are comparing a laptop to a desktop, and so prices don't matter. But if they did, they have about equal video cards (in price, I assume), equal RAM, my CPU is a bit more, equal storage, I have a keyboard and screen included. Not a bad screen either. Comparing a laptop to a laptop is fair. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know a single friends whos laptop has lasted anywhere near 7 years, or even more than 3/4 for that matter. And you can't get a relaible/good windows computer for less than $1200, certainly not for $600.

I am still running the Asus G50Vt from 2009 with Slackware and Windows 7 just fine. Upgraded the CPU to T9600, increased RAM to 8GB, added a MBA SSD, upgraded the wificard to a 6300 ultimate N. Runs TF2 like a champ. I have my SLI580 desktop to run my latest and greatest games (currently waiting for my QNIX27 Evo II DPort/HDMI to arrive).

2009-2014, 5 years? I'd say that trumps your statement about "anywhere near 7 years". I did however have to shell out $1700 for it on newegg when I bought it, so there is definitely truth in that part. But then again what laptop, even macbook, under 1200 can run today's games with decent graphics settings and not be a giant lag fest?

Just as a FYI, I am planning on my next laptop purchase with tax refund. Looking at th Sager NP7370 or the NP8265 both start out above $1200 after tax for base model..

Oh MacBooks, How you cause fights.

my windows 7 computer died, so im stuck on a mac

yet im happy

is this possible?

Can't you just get an ultrabook that's compatible with osx? Just like a hackintosh.

Considering that most haswell based machines will not run iboot, no. Besides, hackintosh's rarely work well. I had 10.6 on my G50Vt and it worked moderately ok for browser, nothing else worked on it. If i need OSX ill just boot my VMWare.

my boss at work bought one of the better new ones for 25000 SEK, which is 3900$.

the computer i built my sister costs 5000SEK which is 780$.

i asked him if i could benchmark it against her computer and mine. mine costs like 1600$ but probably 400$ is spent on random crap for harddrives.

which still is well at the calculations i gave you earlier. my computer will blow the living shit out of a macbook, and my sisters will probably lose just to it.

if you're not into heavy editiing of music/photos/videos, all you're paying for is an apple on the back

why are you comparing a laptop to a desktop 

what

I do prefer windows computers over macs, and I do see that macs do get slow, do overheat, and do fail (i go to a school where all students use mbps, and everyday at least one dies), but the thing is that the mac appeals to the common user, not one who really expects high-end performance.  

Most people are fine with it, and if they are, why should we stop them from paying more for it? 

I do prefer windows computers over macs, and I do see that macs do get slow, do overheat, and do fail (i go to a school where all students use mbps, and everyday at least one dies), but the thing is that the mac appeals to the common user, not one who really expects high-end performance.  

MacBooks fail regularly--there toys, but mbps actually have quite a low failure rate. At my school, as well, almost everyone had a mac and the only ones that ever had a problem were MacBooks. And Macs are still faster than most computers when it comes to everyday use (excluding gaming--obviously). 

MacBooks fail regularly--there toys, but mbps actually have quite a low failure rate. At my school, as well, almost everyone had a mac and the only ones that ever had a problem were MacBooks. And Macs are still faster than most computers when it comes to everyday use (excluding gaming--obviously). 

I wouldn't be so sure about "excluding gaming". When I'm playing TF2 and a server changes map, I'm always the first to join -- It's very rare someone is in before me. Either way, I think Macs are quite decent for gaming nowadays -- well, as long as the game has a native OSX build.

I wouldn't be so sure about "excluding gaming". When I'm playing TF2 and a server changes map, I'm always the first to join -- It's very rare someone is in before me. Either way, I think Macs are quite decent for gaming nowadays -- well, as long as the game has a native OSX build.

I'm always last and/or time out most of the time.  <_<

There not terrible since the gpu is decent (gt650 equivalent in the cheaper 15", and gt750 in the more expensive one). But as gaming goes, gt650/gt750 aren't exactly great gpus. With that said, TF2 also isn't a great game to use to judge a computers gaming ability. I can pull 100 fps at full settings 1080p with a gt435m.

And Macs are still faster than most computers when it comes to everyday use (excluding gaming--obviously). 

So most people also have such a horrible pc like me?

So most people also have such a horrible pc like me?

macs are still faster than most computers even ones with better specs. 

//happy?

Archived