New Macbook Pros, a huge middle finger.

AwesomeMcCoolName

So apple just announced the new Macbook Pros, and not surprisingly, all mbps are retina, and retina only. 

This why is this such a middle finger....

Well, they increased the price from $1700 to $2250/2350, and the only real differences:

>8gb of ram instead of 4

>integrated graphics instead of 512mb gt650m (look to be about on par) 

>Retina display instead of the shit 1440x900 

>shitty 256gb ssd instead of 500gb 5400rpm

>2ghz Haswell instead of 2.3ghz Ivy (Only difference appears to be that haswell has better battery life)

The new one is technically only $1900/2000, but with a retina mac you need a warranty as you can't fix anything on your own. So without a warranty you're going to get screwed if anything gets messed up. So a warranty is "required". 

All-in-all, i think i'm just going to buy last years mbp for $1700, put in an ssd ($160) and upgrade to 8gb of ram ($90)..... 

TL;DR Fuck you apple. 

implying apple ever made products that are worth the money

They do, my 7 year old mbp is still running fine, it just can't keep up with what i need it to do, i just happen to be a power-heavy user. 

They do, my 7 year old mbp is still running fine, it just can't keep up with what i need it to do, i just happen to be a power-heavy user. 

they dont.

the stats of the new macbooks are on par with a decent computer in todays standard. and for the price of that they have, i can buy 3 just as good stationary computers or 2 laptops that does the exact same thing. and my 6 year old laptop that cost less than half of the price of the old macbooks still works fine. so that they still do their job, every computer does so if you treat it correctly

why is it expensive?

because it has a fucking apple on the back of it

they dont.

the stats of the new macbooks are on par with a decent computer in todays standard. and for the price of that they have, i can buy 3 just as good stationary computers or 2 laptops that does the exact same thing.

why is it expensive?

I don't know a single friends whos laptop has lasted anywhere near 7 years, or even more than 3/4 for that matter. And you can't get a relaible/good windows computer for less than $1200, certainly not for $600.

I don't know a single friends whos laptop has lasted anywhere near 7 years, or even more than 3/4 for that matter. And you can't get a relaible/good windows computer for less than $1200, certainly not for $600.

the price of the new macbooks are 2350$ not 1800$. so its 780$ per computer. and yeah. i have built multiple computers that costs less than that, which still work and would beat the new macbook.

and to the laptop using. i have 2 laptops in my house. 1 is 6 years old and one is 4 years old. no trouble except for an antenna which broke on the oldest one.

the price of the new macbooks are 2350$ not 1800$. so its 780$ per computer. and yeah. i have built multiple computers that costs less than that, which still work and would beat the new macbook.

and to the laptop using. i have 2 laptops in my house. 1 is 6 years old and one is 4 years old. no trouble except for an antenna which broke on the oldest one.

the new mac is technically $2000, $1900 if you say you're in school. I'm just considering it 2250/2350 since you really need a warranty as everything is soldered down. And i'm basing it on the price of the old mbp ($1700) as thats a much better value. Building a computer is always cheaper....i can build a gaming desktop for $1300, a comparable digital storm would be at least $1800.

the new mac is technically $2000, $1900 if you say you're in school. I'm just considering it 2250/2350 since you really need a warranty as everything is soldered down. And i'm basing it on the price of the old mbp ($1700) as thats a much better value. Building a computer is always cheaper....i can build a gaming desktop for $1300, a comparable digital storm would be at least $1800.

When the battery on your MacBook goes bad, what then

GG

pull it out and replace it. its is only tape.

That requires unscrewing your computer, which I believe voids that warranty you were talking about.

The normal mac buyer wouldnt care about the slight differences they would say its a mac and pay for it. 

Yep :/ 

That requires unscrewing your computer, which I believe voids that warranty you were talking about.

Nope. You can open the computer, replace ram/hdd without voiding the warranty. Not sure about the battery. But i wouldn't get a warranty on a non-retina. The only reason i'd get a warranty on a retina mac is because everything is soldered down; so without a warranty you're fucked. 

All-in-all, i think i'm just going to buy last years mbp for $1700, put in an ssd ($160) and upgrade to 8gb of ram ($90)..... 

TL;DR Fuck you apple. 

Just get a ultra book...

I got last year's MBP, fully loaded with retina and ssd. Definitely worth every penny.

Well, the Retina mac last year offered something over the non-Retina version. The current Retina mac really doesn't.... 

Retina 2013 vs. non-Retina 2012

• Slimmer/lighter (doesn't mean anything to me) 
  • 8hr  vs. 7hr battery (about the same) 
  • 2ghz Haswell vs. 2.3ghz Ivy Bridge (about the same) 
  • integrated gpu vs. 512mb Gt650m (about the same)
  • High Res screen vs. shit res 

The only real benefit is a better screen, and that doesn't warrant an additional $350 that i would need to pay in order to get a warranty, and after 3 years, if anything goes wrong i'm fucked. 

Just get a ultra book...

I like OS X :3 

Well, the Retina mac last year offered something over the non-Retina version. The current Retina mac really doesn't.... 

Retina 2013 vs. non-Retina 2012

• Slimmer/lighter (doesn't mean anything to me) 
  • 8hr  vs. 7hr battery (again meaningless) 
  • 2ghz Haswell vs. 2.3ghz Ivy Bridge (about the same) 
  • integrated gpu vs. 512mb Gt650m (about the same)
  • High Res screen vs. shit res 

The only real benefit is a better screen, and that doesn't warrant an additional $350 that i would need to pay in order to get a warranty, and after 3 years, if anything goes wrong i'm fucked. 

I like OS X :3 

Let's compare my $1500 Digital Storm laptop to that 2013 Retina.

Digital Storm Laptop vs 2013 Retina

Heavy - Slim (doesn't mean anything to me)

2 hour battery - 8 hour battery (desktop replacement, doesn't really matter

2.4 GHz Ivy Bridge quad core i7 (runs at 3.2) - 2 GHz Haswell dual core (don't know what it runs at, doesn't really matter.

GeForce GTX 670MX vs GT650M 

High-ish resolution screen vs High Resolution Screen (yeah, MBP wins here, that 650M will choke on that resolution though, GL playing any games at native.)

$1500 vs $2000

See why I don't buy Apple products?

Let's compare my $1500 Digital Storm laptop to that 2013 Retina.

Digital Storm Laptop vs 2013 Retina

Heavy - Slim (doesn't mean anything to me)

2 hour battery - 8 hour battery (desktop replacement, doesn't really matter

2.4 GHz Ivy Bridge quad core i7 (runs at 3.2) - 2 GHz Haswell dual core (don't know what it runs at, doesn't really matter.

GeForce GTX 670MX vs GT650M 

High-ish resolution screen vs High Resolution Screen (yeah, MBP wins here, that 650M will choke on that resolution though, GL playing any games at native.)

$1500 vs $2000

See why I don't buy Apple products?

Except, i'm not getting a new mac for the purpose of gaming. I'm getting it for everyday work....programming, internet, tv, photoshop, etc... And because of the very nature of OS X, macs can run at the same speed (or faster) as computers with much higher specs running windows. 

by that logic: 

Custom rig vs Digital Storm

i5-4670k 

gtx770

16gb 1600ram

$1300 vs $2000~ 

Except, i'm not getting a new mac for the purpose of gaming. I'm getting it for everyday work....programming, internet, tv, photoshop, etc... And because of the very nature of OS X, macs can run at the same speed (or faster) as computers with much higher specs running windows. 

by that logic: 

Custom rig vs Digital Storm

i5-4670k 

gtx770

16gb 1600ram

$1300 vs $2000~ 

Eh, you made the fatal mistake of comparing desktops to laptops. Plus, I have an i7 and 16GB RAM. The only think that really outspecs me is the GTX770, which isn't a surprise.

Eh, you made the fatal mistake of comparing desktops to laptops. Plus, I have an i7 and 16GB RAM. The only think that really outspecs me is the GTX770, which isn't a surprise.

my point is, digital storms are just as overpriced as macs are if you're going to compare them to a custom rig.

Also, something to keep in mind, macs have sell-ability to them. I had a friend who sold his 2 year old mac for $800 (the new mac, i believe was $1200~). You can have fun selling a 2 year old windows computer for even a quarter of what you paid for it. 

my point is, digital storms are just as overpriced as macs are if you're going to compare them to a custom rig.

Also, something to keep in mind, macs have sell-ability to them. I had a friend who sold his 2 year old mac for $800 (the new mac, i believe was $1200~). You can have fun selling a 2 year old windows computer for even a quarter of what you paid for it. 

That i can agree with. I have a guy friend who essentially upgrades to the newest version of iphone buy selling his old one and then adding on a bit on top each year ):

That HTC/samsung would probably fetch 50% of it's original price where as the iphone is around 80% on ebay i believe

And the apple fucking lights up!  ;)

I'm using my MBP heavily for 3 years now, and I think it's really worth the price. My mother and brother both use a Windows (don't know the type laptop), but after a year or two, the battery is, well, completely dead. My mother can't start up the laptop without electricity. My MBP doesn't last as long as in the beginning, but yet, it's still going for a few hours and goes a lot faster than the rest of the computers in my house.

I do notice that, since a few months, it's getting slower and the battery is dying. 

A custom self-build is of course cheaper and sometimes better, but I don't know how to build a laptop/PC...

So my next computer will probably a Macbook again, but hopefully this one can last for a few years more. Because, yeah, it's quite expensive.

my boss at work bought one of the better new ones for 25000 SEK, which is 3900$.

the computer i built my sister costs 5000SEK which is 780$.

i asked him if i could benchmark it against her computer and mine. mine costs like 1600$ but probably 400$ is spent on random crap for harddrives.

which still is well at the calculations i gave you earlier. my computer will blow the living shit out of a macbook, and my sisters will probably lose just to it.

if you're not into heavy editiing of music/photos/videos, all you're paying for is an apple on the back

my boss at work bought one of the better new ones for 25000 SEK, which is 3900$.

the computer i built my sister costs 5000SEK which is 780$.

i asked him if i could benchmark it against her computer and mine. mine costs like 1600$ but probably 400$ is spent on random crap for harddrives.

which still is well at the calculations i gave you earlier. my computer will blow the living shit out of a macbook, and my sisters will probably lose just to it.

if you're not into heavy editiing of music/photos/videos, all you're paying for is an apple on the back

comparing a custom built computer to a mac. Because thats a fair comparison. Apple not only has to pay for the same parts you have to pay for, they also have to pay for the extremely expensive machines that put everything together and all the labor required to put it together. I.e. you can't compare a custom built computer to a dell/mac/digital storm and expect it to mean anything.

I can build my own computer for $1300 and it would smoke a $2000 digital storm. Therefore digital storm must be overpriced crap. Your argument is flawed. 

comparing a custom built computer to a mac. Because thats a fair comparison. Apple not only has to pay for the same parts you have to pay for, they also have to pay for the extremely expensive machines that put everything together and all the labor required to put it together. I.e. you can't compare a custom built computer to a dell/mac/digital storm and expect it to mean anything.

I can build my own computer for $1300 and it would smoke a $2000 digital storm. Therefore digital storm must be overpriced crap. Your argument is flawed. 

both are overpriced. end of discussion

Archived