The future of tf2?

ᴰᴶSn@@ke

Well, maybe some of you love team fortress 2 as much as I do. I have supported this game for about six years. It has been my favorite game for years, surpassing the hundreds I've played in my many years of gaming. I've never enjoyed a game as much as I have tf2. I still continue to play it and enjoy every update in at least some way. (Including the last few.) However, today's Scream Fortress VII update really made me think about future updates, assuming there will be any. Now, I'm not trying to imply that tf2 is "dying" but it will come to an end some day. When it does, that will be quite a sad day for myself and every other fan. What this post is about, is what seems to be a normal occurrence now since the gun mettle update. Almost, if not every single item now has "grades" to them, similar to CS:GO as most people know. (Civillian, Freelance, Mercenary, Commando, Assassin and Elite.) I'm wondering, that if anymore updates come after these past three will follow that same pattern. If there's a smissmas update this year, will those be naughty and nice crates (or cases maybe) come with grades as well? For some reason, that really bothers me, since it's never been like that before. I hate that now, when you unbox the cases you now can "lose" or have something of less value unlike past crates. (That's why I haven't unboxed a single case.) Community prices/value of items are different to each individual item of course so that's not always true. My point is, the majority of people that wanted to uncrate before these last few updates, was to unbox an unusual and now it doesn't seem like that anymore.

I hate that now, when you unbox the cases you now can "lose" or have something of less value unlike past crates. (That's why I haven't unboxed a single case.) 

wtf does this mean? are you saying in past crates you are guaranteed profit? cause sign me up i want free fucking money id unbox all day

wtf does this mean? are you saying in past crates you are guaranteed profit? cause sign me up i want free fucking money id unbox all day

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that items beforehand in crates didn't have different percentages or "grades" than other items in the same crate, like in the newer crates/cases. Almost everyone who wanted to unbox crates, wanted to unbox an unusual, and now it seems the goal for opening cases is to not get the lowest grade item more than hoping for an unusual.

• Administrators

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that items beforehand in crates didn't have different percentages or "grades" than other items in the same crate, like in the newer crates/cases. Almost everyone who wanted to unbox crates, wanted to unbox an unusual, and now it seems the goal for opening cases is to not get the lowest grade item more than hoping for an unusual.

People shouldn't unbox in csgo either then. If you are really looking for profit from unboxing, then I don't even know what to say. You can't profit from unboxing, period. Its 100% gamble.

Its pretty clear Valve is taking Tf2 in csgo's direction. Halloween updates has always been crates, now we get cases and contracts just like csgo. I myself, don't see any harm in it. It actually opens up whole new possibilities in the game.

You can also think of it from the same perspective. In the past, old crates had SOME items in crates that are worth more than the others and are less uncommon as well. Nothing has changed, it's pretty much similar, just that the rolls on items are widened.

People shouldn't unbox in csgo either then. Its pretty clear Valve is taking Tf2 in csgo's direction. Halloween updates has always been crates, now we get cases and contracts just like csgo. I myself, don't see any harm in it. It actually opens up whole new possibilities in the game.

I love that this game even is still receiving updates. I got it for christmas in 2009, I felt like I was late to the party and that everyone would stop playing it. Six years later and is standing as the 3rd most popular game on steam. I don't hate these recent updates, I just don't like the "grades" aspect. I love a lot of the gun mettle skins and I think "grades" is understandable for weapon skins, but not so much for cosmetic items.

I dont know the point you're trying to make. Crates alwaya had the "grades" thingie. If you look at the wiki page for crates you can easily see by looking at unbox % that the regular crates have tiers aswell.

I just dont like the arbitrary item values that valve is assigning. The community used to do that earlier. An item that was more desired was more valuable. But now a fucking banana hat is on the same level as a cardboard mask because valve said so. Even more glaringly, the stupid slug for heavy was supposed to be more valuale than the sniper hat, but look at the confusion its caused.

today's Scream Fortress VI update

it's Scream Fortress 7 (or VII) btw not 6

I don't really think it's a big issue.  I know hats and such are a huge part of tf2, but it's an fps :u you don't need to unbox for the game to be good.  also that whole bit in the original post about how "you can now 'lose' " from unboxing is a little ridiculous, could use some rewording :u  I feel like the grades make unboxing a little more interesting, adds items you can get that aren't necessarily unusual but still worth something.  also not sure how it's an issue if people want certain grade skins over unusuals...

it's Scream Fortress 7 (or VII) btw not 6

I don't really think it's a big issue.  I know hats and such are a huge part of tf2, but it's an fps :u you don't need to unbox for the game to be good.  also that whole bit in the original post about how "you can now 'lose' " from unboxing is a little ridiculous, could use some rewording :u  I feel like the grades make unboxing a little more interesting, adds items you can get that aren't necessarily unusual but still worth something.  also not sure how it's an issue if people want certain grade skins over unusuals...

Obviously trading doesn't make this game, but it's definitely become a big part of it since the Mann-Conomy update came out, same with unusuals and unboxing in general. It really depends on the appeal or hype of the item kind of like "face" said above you. Say, if one item is Elite grade and another is Assassin grade, the Elite item is much more likely to have more value to it because it's Elite, even if it's "unappealing".

giving them grades is just assigning a rarity they already have. TF2 doesn't tell you, but I think it's pretty obvious items like the Coffin Kit are more rare than others - it just isn't written down officially. You might as well complain about rarity itself. People want items that are more expensive, duh, and items that are rarer will often be more expensive then those who aren't. That's pretty much always been the case.

To be honest the whole csgoening of tf2 has turned the game to shit for me, I rarely play it now only to look back at those 10 hours of tf2 per day memories

Grades are way better than hidden percentages that you can only find out after time. Like everyone thought the kritzkrieg is common when it got rereleased and the price dropped alot until people realised its still very rare. I saw someone wasted unboxing 100 crates because they tried to get an AWPer hand only that it turns out its rare and welp didnt get any.

Banana is still worth way more than the Cardbeard, so the community still decides a big part of the prices, the heavy slug is barely worth anything even if its elite, I have no idea how you could complain about things like that. Csgoing doesnt change the game at all, you dont have to trade for the items or buy a pass.

Obviously trading doesn't make this game, but it's definitely become a big part of it since the Mann-Conomy update came out, same with unusuals and unboxing in general. It really depends on the appeal or hype of the item kind of like "face" said above you. Say, if one item is Elite grade and another is Assassin grade, the Elite item is much more likely to have more value to it because it's Elite, even if it's "unappealing".

shell shocker rl > red roscoe pistol any day. grades are just that, grades, they don't make items better for no reason.

I dont know the point you're trying to make. Crates alwaya had the "grades" thingie. If you look at the wiki page for crates you can easily see by looking at unbox % that the regular crates have tiers aswell.

While I agree that he is wrong in presuming "grades" were not always a thing, I think his message can be interpreted that he doesn't like that now that there is a colored text involved, the community has begun hyper-inflating certain items, making them difficult for others to obtain.

The only thing that really bugs me about grades is that one of the colours looks like the unusual colour.

^^^^ This. Fucking. This

they are working on major update iwth competetive. they said that scream fortress cant be done by valve this year but by community so they can make competetive as best as possible

There have been different percentages since Crate #2. And almost every crate since has had different percentages. The problem is that most traders don't know about this, which actually makes it confusing imo. At least now they are transparent about what the percentages actually are.

For example, in Crate 44 with critical kills. If crit kills had the same % of unboxing as everything else, it wouldn't be worth 3 keys and everyone would be unboxing that crate. The chance of unboxing the regular stranges in that case is 2x higher than anything else

The only thing that really bugs me about grades is that one of the colours looks like the unusual colour.

2011 haunted's yo? 

Well TF2 is still 3rd played game on Steam. I do not like current CS:GO immitating, I wish grades system was done differently. But it is still fun, nice game. Not sure about it's future though.

Archived