How do you feel about.. cutting?

Senpai Absol~

Keep in mind this part of the forums is meant to be serious and any troll posts will be reported. kthanks

Just going to cut to the chase, I have many friends that do cut, some more often than others, some have family's that don't care about them some don't, and they each have their own reasons for doing it.

I try to get them to stop of course, but i'm hypocrite for doing that because I did cut, and started doing it again recently

Reason why I do it as I feel like it relives stress than anything. But it adds onto stress because you have to hide it from family members (Mother Noticed today, I made the excuss that it was the dog but I doubt she fell for that)

How wrong do you think it is to cut?

Even though I do it, I know its a horrible thing to do and I should really stop and I wish I could get my friends to stop.

(When I mean cutting I meant wrists, any part of your body could be counted as cutting I guess, one of my friends cuts on her legs, idk she is weird)

I even feel digusted just to look down at my hands, so I always just wear hoodies all the time

I know some people do it so people will notice it, my sister cut to make people notice it on purpose, I hate talking to my family usually, so I don't do it for people to notice, just for the relive stress part

inb4 you say i'm edgy.

so TDLR: how do you feel about cutting and people that do cut?

There are other ways to relieve stress than cutting like punching a pillow or something. Don't ever hurt yourself to relieve stress or if your a machoist, feel pleasure 

Been posted before, but here's my take again:

Cutting is stupid. Period.

There is no defense for it.

It solves nothing. It's illogical. And, like you said, adds to the pain and stress. It might have some temporary relief, but you know you will have to face the same problems later.

It's like drinking, except it leaves hideous scars.

How do I feel like cutting?

I think it's pointless. No matter how much blood you spill, you won't solve the problem any more than sitting there doing nothing. I definitely understand why some people may decide to do it, but it's normally just better off not cutting, especially since you feel as though it 'adds to the stress'. 

Try putting a rubber band on your wrists and snapping it whenever you feel like cutting. Same thing, it just doesn't bleed which is nice.

Been posted before, but here's my take again:

Cutting is stupid. Period.

There is no defense for it.

It solves nothing. It's illogical. And, like you said, adds to the pain and stress. It might have some temporary relief, but you know you will have to face the same problems later.

It's like drinking, except it leaves hideous scars.

The human mind is all but logical.

I used to cut when I was younger. I would mostly do it so as not to harm others, because for a kid I was really violent and strong (had a shitty childhood).

I still have a scar on my left hand to remind me of when I used to cut. I also used to self-harm, and I even do it sometimes in brief moments of rage. Part of me does it because I'm a huge failure (I at least see myself as such), part of me does it to contain the vent the anger somewhere safe.

You can't explain these kinds of things with logic. They're external to logical discussion the second emotions are involved. That being said, I don't believe cutting is a good thing.

I think it is useless. People do it seeking attention, when really they just need a therapist to help them. We get it, you have issues but informing us won't do anything. 

I think it is useless. People do it seeking attention, when really they just need a therapist to help them. We get it, you have issues but informing us won't do anything. 

I've kept silent about it for years and would do it by myself. Tons of people do that too, saying people do it for attention is an apathetic generalization; you don't want to know what's wrong, a simple excuse you're attributing to all of us is enough for you. There's no room for discussion if you're not willing to perceive those who cut as human beings with problems in the first place.

The human mind is all but logical.

I used to cut when I was younger. I would mostly do it so as not to harm others, because for a kid I was really violent and strong (had a shitty childhood).

I still have a scar on my left hand to remind me of when I used to cut. I also used to self-harm, and I even do it sometimes in brief moments of rage. Part of me does it because I'm a huge failure (I at least see myself as such), part of me does it to contain the vent the anger somewhere safe.

You can't explain these kinds of things with logic. They're external to logical discussion the second emotions are involved. That being said, I don't believe cutting is a good thing.

Right. These illogical thoughts are why I want to pursue a career in psychology. My point with it was to emphasise the pointlessness of cutting

Right. These illogical thoughts are why I want to pursue a career in psychology. My point with it was to emphasise the pointlessness of cutting

Hah, tell me about it.

My grand-father smoked all his life. People literally begged him to stop, and he got lung cancer. Everyone in my family suffered watching him agonize for over 2 years before he finally died of internal bleeding and a cardiac arrest.

I like to believe deep within myself he knew all of this would happen, but he still did it because he liked it. Perhaps he did it not because he liked it, but because he needed it. Perhaps he developed smoking as a habit.

Cutting is the same thing.

• Administrators

I think right or wrong is besides the point when it comes to mental health issues. People who self harm need help, not to be mocked or told they're just doing it for attention. Even if someone was doing it for attention, how does that not make you feel bad for them that they feel the need to go to that extreme for validation? People can be really cruel.

Posted · Hidden by puddingkip, September 27, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by puddingkip, September 27, 2015 - No reason given

holy fuck what
i mean, wow

is it really that difficult to just man up and quit doing such shit dude, you're a man, not some fucking emo boy, aren't you? 

I think right or wrong is besides the point when it comes to mental health issues. People who self harm need help, not to be mocked or told they're just doing it for attention. Even if someone was doing it for attention, how does that not make you feel bad for them that they feel the need to go to that extreme for validation? People can be really cruel.

Cruelty is ironically issued out of apathy. I can't blame anyone here for not caring enough about me as a person to try to comfort me or at least give me advice, but I can't take them seriously if they're too apathetic to see the facts at hand. Saying people cut for attention is literally denying all of their problems, as if they born on a silver platter and decided they'd physically harm themselves, often with permanent, lifelong-lasting scars for the sheer thrill of attention.

My take on it is that people who cut themselves experience a constant emotional depression that was caused because of the shitty things that happened in their lives.

Since they are more reluctant than other people to have regular means of emotions, they want to experience pain in order to derail their depressive symptoms because of all that pressure they have in their head.

As in, their depressive emotions are at such a high magnitude that they cannot hold it inside their head and they try to release it through other means.

Doing it for attention however seems like a superficial statement. You can have a superficial opinion, but don't judge a person that much because the means of their self-harm are justified in a way that you cannot understand.

• Administrators

Cruelty is ironically issued out of apathy. I can't blame anyone here for not caring enough about me as a person to try to comfort me or at least give me advice, but I can't take them seriously if they're too apathetic to see the facts at hand. Saying people cut for attention is literally denying all of their problems, as if they born on a silver platter and decided they'd physically harm themselves, often with permanent, lifelong-lasting scars for the sheer thrill of attention.

Yeah I'm not so much suggesting that the random people making flippant "doing it for attention" statements should be the ones helping, just that they could use some compassion I suppose.

Hah, tell me about it.

My grand-father smoked all his life. People literally begged him to stop, and he got lung cancer. Everyone in my family suffered watching him agonize for over 2 years before he finally died of internal bleeding and a cardiac arrest.

I like to believe deep within myself he knew all of this would happen, but he still did it because he liked it. Perhaps he did it not because he liked it, but because he needed it. Perhaps he developed smoking as a habit.

Cutting is the same thing.

how the hell cutting is the same thing? i mean, you can't get phychologically attracted to pain unless you're mentally ill, smoking is a different thing, it's just brain asking for another dose of nicotine. cutting sounds like a way to make yourself look even more miserable in your own eyes by destroying your self-esteem, i don't even know how to explain that so anyone could understand, this is plain sick. 

how the hell cutting is the same thing? i mean, you can't get phychologically attracted to pain unless you're mentally ill, smoking is a different thing, it's just brain asking for another dose of nicotine. cutting sounds like a way to make yourself look even more miserable in your own eyes by destroying your self-esteem, i don't even know how to explain that so anyone could understand, this is plain sick. 

I'm not saying it's literally the same thing, nor that cutting makes you physically dependent. I'm not arrogant enough to draw to such conclusions-- that being said, sources below point to self-harm developing to an actual addiction a possibility.

http://www.dualdiagnosis.org/self-harm-addiction/

http://www.addictioncare.co.uk/self-harm/

http://www.7cupsoftea.com/qa-self-harm-19/why-is-self-harm-so-addictive-179/

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/What_is_Self-Harm_Addiction_and_How_is_it_Treated.html

So you're saying you've never had a habit ever?

Biting your nails, twirling your hair, etc.?

Even if you haven't, which is kinda hard to believe, you see my point

• Administrators

Addiction can be viewed as a mental illness, so technically smoking and self harm could both be seen as such.

People have different emotional stabilities, some worse off than others. Coming from someone who hasnt had the smoothest ride from childhood to adulthood, i know what these people feel. They need a release and for some its pain via cutting. it numbs the emotional pain to focuse on the physical pain and depending how badly they did it can just cause you to feel woozy and passout, giving a easy escape for a few hours. 

I too have had many friends who cut, one of which quite frequently to the point i became very scared for her well being. her family wasnt a family, more than a group of people who used her for a human punching bag. they never attacked the face, always the torso so no one saw the bruises unless she showed you. her release was cutting to do exactly what i explained, a easy release and escape. we all knew she needed help so none of us judged her for doing what she did, even though we knew it was wrong.

Some do it out of habit, they enjoy the pain and for god only knows some reason; even find a sexual pleasure out of it. thats the ones i dont understand at all, i cant see a "habit" out of cutting yourself for entertainment or even thinking "hey lets be real fuckin kinky and cut ourselves". no, thats just wrong.

As bad as it may seem, i'm ok if someone cuts themselves out of DEPRESSION or emotional trauma. Only becuase i know why they feel the desire to do it and that they need a lot more help than it may seem. I have a feeling a few of you may judge me for that but really, there is so much more than the surface of the skin that scars. its the cuts you cant see that hurt the most and thats what gets overlooked the most

I've been cutting for the past 4-5 months now,It's an addiction that I can't really stop.I do take pills for my depression and see a therapist every 3 days now.I just can't stop cutting.I used to cut to hide the pain in my heart but that didn't work.Now it's basically whenever I remember a stupid memory and I just cut my wrist.I even stabbed myself in the leg when my ex left me.

cutting is really bad but I just can't stop ;~;

I've cut once, sharp ceramic pocket knife, an H on my upper arm. It never helped me in any way, but I did self harm by burning for a short time which helped more. It's a bad thing, but the solution isn't to just stop, you need to talk to people and slowly do it less. Stopping straight up is the same with any addiction, rarely works. I've had a good bit of experience talking with people who self harm, and if anyone needs to talk, PM me on forums or steam or even kik me at metalshiflet.

Archived