Top 5 overrated Unusual effects

crashbfan

I'm salty as fuck because people don't like Burning.

FTFY bby <3

I prefer the robotic counterpart because it's got shit going on, it's highly visible as an effect and it's got more depth than Burning. You have the vibrating background mixed with the pulsing pixels in the foreground, looks nice especially when I get my Manndarin streakers going. :^)

Burning's just burning. Only reason it's "god tier" is because it was the highest effect of the first set to come out. All it's done is been here longer. You got plenty of other high visual, amazing effects that nobody's been hating on, look at Anti-Freeze and Roboactive. I haven't seen many people in this thread hating on those, plus there's numerous records of those effects selling for more than Burning. I'd rather have those two at the very top of the food chain, at least they got something going on. Before you go on about it, yes, I've owned Burning hats before. I've seen them in-game, I run TF2 at 1920 x 1080 on max settings, 300 FPS so I've seen the effect in the highest quality. Taking value completely out of the question, assuming that in this imaginary perfect world both effects are valued the same, I'd take a NnB hat over Burning, I really would. My argument extends to the Energy effects as well, literally the most boring effects in the game.

tl;dr

Burning's just boring as fuck. Petition to rename Burning Flames to Boring Flames. Everyone's allowed their opinions though, so if you like Burning, you like Burning. I just hate it because Boring Flames.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kek, way to go to cherrypick to try and validate your reasoning; it still applies to every other effect in existence. Let's take a look at your hats.

Your Confetti Cowl: confetti over your hat, woo.

Your Hellfire Dapper's: orange pentagram over your hat, woo.

Your Sulphurous Toque: your hat's on e-fire, woo.

I could go on with every unusual you own and diminish from their appearance.

Why do you own these, then? How an effect looks like and how good it is is completely subjective, which is why you can't say how good or bad burning is. However, thousands of people have agreed over time Burning is simply the best. No need to act condescending and use a weak, off-topic rebuttal because you're proved wrong, furthermore. Is it not hypocritical of you to shit on Burning when you own its robotic counterpart? Furthermore, your rebuttal of "I can burn someone so burning is nothing special" is laughable: one is a permanent particle effect, the other is temporary and doesn't trail one's movement as fluently as the effect does. Off-topic.

No need to be biased if you own a burning heavy hat. I owned a burning larrikin, and I traded it rather quickly a long time ago. I hate the effect as well. It is rather generic.

FTFY bby <3

I prefer the robotic counterpart because it's got shit going on, it's highly visible as an effect and it's got more depth than Burning. You have the vibrating background mixed with the pulsing pixels in the foreground, looks nice especially when I get my Manndarin streakers going. :^)

Burning's just burning. Only reason it's "god tier" is because it was the highest effect of the first set to come out. All it's done is been here longer. You got plenty of other high visual, amazing effects that nobody's been hating on, look at Anti-Freeze and Roboactive. I haven't seen many people in this thread hating on those, plus there's numerous records of those effects selling for more than Burning. I'd rather have those two at the very top of the food chain, at least they got something going on. Before you go on about it, yes, I've owned Burning hats before. I've seen them in-game, I run TF2 at 1920 x 1080 on max settings, 300 FPS so I've seen the effect in the highest quality. Taking value completely out of the question, assuming that in this imaginary perfect world both effects are valued the same, I'd take a NnB hat over Burning, I really would. My argument extends to the Energy effects as well, literally the most boring effects in the game.

tl;dr

Burning's just boring as fuck. Petition to rename Burning Flames to Boring Flames. Everyone's allowed their opinions though, so if you like Burning, you like Burning. I just hate it because Boring Flames.

Kek, way to go to cherrypick to try and validate your reasoning; it still applies to every other effect in existence. Let's take a look at your hats.

Your Confetti Cowl: confetti over your hat, woo.

Your Hellfire Dapper's: orange pentagram over your hat, woo.

Your Sulphurous Toque: your hat's on e-fire, woo.

I could go on with every unusual you own and diminish from their appearance.

Why do you own these, then? How an effect looks like and how good it is is completely subjective, which is why you can't say how good or bad burning is. However, thousands of people have agreed over time Burning is simply the best. No need to act condescending and use a weak, off-topic rebuttal because you're proved wrong, furthermore. Is it not hypocritical of you to shit on Burning when you own its robotic counterpart? Furthermore, your rebuttal of "I can burn someone so burning is nothing special" is laughable: one is a permanent particle effect, the other is temporary and doesn't trail one's movement as fluently as the effect does. Off-topic.

i realize that Burning is the top god-tier effect, but i see Hatrix's point.

While a lot more people like Burning, effects such as Roboactive, Antifreeze, and other colourful effects are more extravagant and appealing to some people when compared to something like Burning which just looks like a standard fire (same logic applies to Scorching and Halloween Fire)

FTFY bby <3

tl;dr

What's that? You prefer the robotic counterpart? So you admit you like this effect more than burning. Again, thousands of people also prefer burning to other effects, and that's atemporal.

"Burning's just burning" is just an opinion, not a fact, you can't prove it objectively and there are no facts to back your perception of it. However, people's general preference for this effect means it's inherently one of the best, if not the best unusual effect in TF2. Some people are bound to dislike it, and that's fine; what's wrong is when you shove your opinion down people's throats and accuse them of being salty when they disagree with you.

I'm done attempting to reason with such a child; when you grow some manners and an ounce of intellect, you can come back to me instead of whoring your opinion out and trying to make it a reality.

No need to be biased if you own a burning heavy hat. I owned a burning larrikin, and I traded it rather quickly a long time ago. I hate the effect as well. It is rather generic.

How the fuck am I biased? I've supplied many arguments to back my stance, and all you've done is mention your opinion and YOUR subjective perception. Don't kid yourself and say I'm biased, because this is delirious.

i realize that Burning is the top god-tier effect, but i see Hatrix's point.

While a lot more people like Burning, effects such as Roboactive, Antifreeze, and other colourful effects are more extravagant and appealing to some people when compared to something like Burning which just looks like a standard fire (same logic applies to Scorching and Halloween Fire)

I can see his point too, and I understand people's preferences. What's wrong with it is his flawed reasoning and how disrespectful and childish he acts when someone disagrees.

1. Burning Flames (Scorching is better)

burning flames is sooooooooooooooo ugly you see that every 2 seconds from all the brainless pyros anyways, putting it on your head doesnt make it cooler

1. Burning Flames

1) Burning flames

3. Burning

Burning

1) burning

Oh wow. I think the energies are rightfully rated, they look really nice. 

but yeah burning. 

Just burning flames.

1. Burning

Scorching, Sunbeams, Both energies, Cloudy moon, Harvest moon, Secret to everybody, Knifestorm, Death at dusk, Roboactive, Antifreeze, Demonflame, Hellfire, Darkblaze, Arcana, Bonzo, Frostbite, GBH, and Vivid plasma are all better than burning flames for way cheaper.

1. burning

it's fucking garbage

Hatrix uses: Power of the People.

It's Super Effective!

Not in price voting ;)

Name of the game's overrated effects, not most expensive hats. ;)

There's numerous people who only like things because they are expensive, e.g. expensive for the sake of expensive.

There were studies done involving this in numerous economics papers where they would have top tier wine samplers sample wines out of cheap bottle as opposed to more expensive bottles. They wouldn't tell the samplers anything but the name of the wine and the price, however the actual wine in each bottle was the same. The majority of the samplers actually voted for the more expensive wine despite there being no difference. People have this weird thing about "I spent more money on something, so it must be better".

Don't get me wrong, anyone can like anything, but if you like something just because "everyone else does" or because it's "the best thing to like", you're doing it wrong.

In response to Cortana, I like Purple Confetti. It's a fun, light-hearted effect that looks fantastic, especially when stacked with itself. My Medic has a cloud of fetti over his body, shit's cash.

I like Sulphurous because of previous statements.

I like the specific combination of my Hellfire Dapper because the tall firey effect pairs well with my tall hat.

I like Massed Flies because it's a full body effect and pairs well with Spy, being that it's a low profile effect.

I don't like Burning Flames because it's boring as all get out and really fucking generic.

I like my effects because they are aesthetically pleasing to me. If Burning floats your boat, whatever floats your boat. But when I have 13+ people agreeing with me in the span of three pages and you only got one other person agreeing with you, I think it's time you stop "shoving your opinion down people's throat", as you put it, instead of trying to cling to this made up fact of yours that "Burning is the best", because it's obviously really really not, at least the majority here thinks so.

Got to compare burning flames chef hat against miami nights and purple energy on a trade server and it wasnt even close. They need to brighten it up some.

Name of the game's overrated effects, not most expensive hats. ;)

- snip -

But when I have 13+ people agreeing with me in the span of three pages and you only got one other person agreeing with you, I think it's time you stop "shoving your opinion down people's throat", as you put it, instead of trying to cling to this made up fact of yours that "Burning is the best", because it's obviously really really not, at least the majority here thinks so.

I'm not talking about price suggestions in specific, I'm hinting at the fact that votes are meaningless when it comes to voting because most people voting quite frankly don't know what they're talking about.  

You have 13 people agreeing with.  Out of those 13, how many have extensive experience with unusuals?  I checked their backpacks, it doesn't exactly look promising in that area.  But then you have me and The One trying to explain to you why exactly Burning and Scorching are god-tier, and why the other effects are not.  And I would wager that 10x more unusuals have passed through our two backpacks than have passed through the 13 people's who are agreeing with you.  

You can go ahead and say something is overrated, but if you only have limited experience with that thing, your opinion as well is limited.  

I'm not talking about price suggestions in specific, I'm hinting at the fact that votes are meaningless when it comes to voting because most people voting quite frankly don't know what they're talking about.  

You have 13 people agreeing with.  Out of those 13, how many have extensive experience with unusuals?  I checked their backpacks, it doesn't exactly look promising in that area.  But then you have me and The One trying to explain to you why exactly Burning and Scorching are god-tier, and why the other effects are not.  And I would wager that 10x more unusuals have passed through our two backpacks than have passed through the 13 people's who are agreeing with you. 

I don't need to own a burning hat to know that it is an effect I don't personally care for, especially when I can test said effect in-game and see others with it and make a decision myself, not have others try and decide for me.

You can go ahead and say something is overrated, but if you only have limited experience with that thing, your opinion as well is limited.  

That's the point of this thread is it not? To state our personal opinion on what we feel is overrated? The op did not ask us to base our lists on statistics, or tiers, or prices, so why is it you feel so obligated to try and make us think the same as you about effects like burning, when personally some of us just don't care for them?

You say that our lack of experience limits our opinion, but at the same time your lack of understanding that some people don't have the same tastes as you also makes your opinion just as limited.

I've owned Burning hats before as previously stated, I did a lot of trading before backpack.tf was in full swing. All you and cortana are doing is reinforcing my point about Burning only being good to the "elitest trader" community at this point. Popular survey says that it's not all it's cracked up to be. I got bored of the Burning hats that I owned within a few days because it's a boring effect.

I'm done arguing as it's not getting through your head, you probably just only skimmed through my posts without extensively reading them and actually considering the point I am trying to make and my point isn't that Burning is the worst effect, it's that Burning is the most overrated effect. You can like Burning, that's fine and dandy, but when you're trying to shove it down people's throats as "the best and the most god-tierest of god tier effects because muh wallet", you're doing nothing but reinforcing the point of Burning only being good because it's expensive, not because it's a good effect.

1. Burning
2. Massed Flies (Very bad effect imo)
3. Bonzo 
4. Beams 
5. Cloud 9 ( Might as well get Circling Heart : C9 is 3rd Gen CH is 1st :P)

(I like some of the other unusuals,mentioned on this thread, i will say some are overpriced, some are good as is atm.)

Fuck, Shit, Bollocks, cock, and all other cuss words in the english language.

I just happened to notice your pissed off attitude towards anyone anti-burning. I proceeded to check your backpack and noticed a burning heavy hat. Could you please make a statement about burning that doesn't involve cussing others out every few seconds?

I hate burning, I could go on and on about why. For one, as others have said, you literally have a pyro light you on fire, add a barely noticeable smoke trail, and you have burning. Personally, my favorite is stormy storm, but that's because my dead mom's nickname is Stormy. Aside from this effect, stuff like 13th hour and spellbound are much more appealing. Become a merchant of death, equip 13th hour. Become a wizard, equip spellbound. Become an oblivious soon to be burn victim, equip burning. It literally has little effort added to it. I used to modify tf2 particles, and I found it appalling how little effort went into burning. Then I look at stuff like Bonzo, and Unusual taunts, and see a quite steep climb in effort. I agree with others, only trading elitists would bother with burning. It truly does not deserve the top tier.

1. Burning

2. Burning

3. Burning

4. Scorching and Energies

5. Burning

How are energies underrated? they look the same, if not better than the Burnings and they're considered almost two tiers under. you make no sense

How are energies underrated? they look the same, if not better than the Burnings and they're considered almost two tiers under. you make no sense

The thread title is overrated effects...?

Yeah and you said Energies are overrated..

im saying theyre underrated

I always explain my opinion of energies like this: Energies are the vanilla yogurt of unusual effects. I mean yeah, plain ol' vanilla yogurt is okay, but there's so many better yogurts out there.

I also get tired of people slapping shitty cancer hats with any misc together with both energies and "SELLING AS SET ONLY WHITE N R G GOD TIER LELELEL B/O 1200 KEYS NOT SELLING SEPARATELY" which is an inherent problem that comes with the effects. I realize it has nothing to do with the aesthetics of the effects themselves, it just kinda devalues both for me however.

I would agree though that they seem to have fallen off the radar lately, they don't get as much attention as they used to.

1. Holy Grail (boring)

2. Fountain of Delight (hearts look like garbage)

3. Haunted Ghosts (the ghosts look like garbage)

4. Sunbeams (boring)

5. Cloud 9 / C. Hearts (hearts look like garbage)

Bonus:

6. Stormy 13th (a better stormy storm)

7. Misty Skull (fucking ugly as fuck)

As for the whole burning/scorching hate thing in this thread...  Generally, you'll get more interest and more "nice hat" comments with burning/scorching than with almost any other effect (besides maybe RA/AF). Which means... um.. wait for it... it's generally liked more (more highly rated)

One thing I don't get is how some people will think burning flames is overrated (actually high quality particle effect) but not something like haunted ghosts or c9/hearts (just ugly sprites, low quality effect, could be drawn by a 5 y/o)

We get it, you like burning, fuck off about it already though.

We get it, you hate burning, fuck off about it already though.

Who cares.

If you like it, wear it, keep it.

If you hate it, don't get one.

We get it, you like burning, fuck off about it already though.

We get it, you hate burning, fuck off about it already though.

1. burning.

2. burning.

3. burning.

4. burning

5. burning.

9qP4lMc.jpg

5. Cloud 9 ( Might as well get Circling Heart : C9 is 3rd Gen CH is 1st :P)

So you're saying value>looks?

Anyways, no effect is really overrated except for scorching flames. Edgy ass green flames that look like they would fit in the background of a low quality image with a skeleton giving you the finger

You don't need to own tons of burning hats to look at the effect and form a opinion on it. I have owned burning flames hats and they looked like crap, I'd take a RA/AF/PE/GE over a burning flames any day.

Archived