Top 5 overrated Unusual effects

crashbfan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say burning is overrated all you want it's the highest-tier effect for a reason

Burning's overrated in my opinion because it's got nothing going on. Hat's on fire. Woo.

Not overrated:

Burning/Scorching/Beams/Energies/AF/RA

Seriously, if those are overrated, what's better then?  Honestly, to all those who have these in their list, what effects look better than those?

Those effects don't look good to everyone, which is why to me they are overrated; even if you don't like them, people constantly shove the idea that they are at you and then ridicule you for having different tastes.

Those effects don't look good to everyone, which is why to me they are overrated; even if you don't like them, people constantly shove the idea that they are at you and then ridicule you for having different tastes.

So which effects look better then?  If you're saying they're overrated, there must be something better out there.  Let's see it. 

So which effects look better then?  If you're saying they're overrated, there must be something better out there.  Let's see it. 

To me, the eotl effects and halloween effects are better; I would take those any day over the flames or energies.

1. 2011 Halloween 

2. 2012 Halloween

3. 2014 Halloween

4. Malard

5. Overclocked

Not overrated:

Seriously, if those are overrated, what's better then?  Honestly, to all those who have these in their list, what effects look better than those?

Scorching, Sunbeams, Both energies, Cloudy moon, Harvest moon, Secret to everybody, Knifestorm, Death at dusk, Roboactive, Antifreeze, Demonflame, Hellfire, Darkblaze, Arcana, Bonzo, Frostbite, GBH, and Vivid plasma are all better than burning flames for way cheaper.

Scorching, Sunbeams, Both energies, Cloudy moon, Harvest moon, Secret to everybody, Knifestorm, Death at dusk, Roboactive, Antifreeze, Demonflame, Hellfire, Darkblaze, Arcana, Bonzo, Frostbite, GBH, and Vivid plasma are all better than burning flames for way cheaper.

That's highly opinionated. I can argue that Burning looks better than half of the effects you listed AND that most people would agree with me from my experience of selling thousands of unusuals.

That's highly opinionated. I can argue that Burning looks better than half of the effects you listed AND that most people would agree with me from my experience of selling thousands of unusuals.

Pretty sure every list here is based on personal opinion.

I'm JUST SAYING, but seeing the amount of "Burning" in this thread, perhaps it's NOT the best effect in the game and people only overpay for it because of some outdated notion perpetuated by these old-fart elitest traders who value it above all other effects? *cough*

I don't agree with you.

1. Flaming lantern (honestly how the fuck did noone mention this so far?)

2. 13th hour

3. Knifestorm

4. mallard

5. burning I guess, it Looks pretty good but is 2expensive

I'm JUST SAYING, but seeing the amount of "Burning" in this thread, perhaps it's NOT the best effect in the game and people only overpay for it because of some outdated notion perpetuated by these old-fart elitest traders who value it above all other effects? *cough*

There is definitely some prestige that goes into Burning's values (think about the Burning TC or KE), but it'd be ridiculous to claim it isn't one of the best effects. 

Overrated value doesn't mean bad comparative quality. 

5: Secret to Everybody (I very much prefer Knifestorm/Harvest. 13th Hour ALMOST looks just as good too but is usually priced much much lower)

4: Burning (Scorching4lyfe)

3: Phosphorous/Sulphorous (they look worse in-game than they do on pics)

2: DaD/Morning Glory (they're good but not THAT good)

1: Flies (this should be priced the same as Aces/Bubbling/N&B on most non-sniper hats and even on sniper effect is overrated)

Burning's overrated in my opinion because it's got nothing going on. Hat's on fire. Woo.

I'm pretty sure this is why everyone here thinks Burning is overrated: You look at burning in your loadout and it looks lame.  In order to really appreciate Burning and Scorching, you actually need to see the effects on another player as they move in-game (for example, check out a burning or scorching hat on a soldier as he's rocket jumping).  The reason why they're the highest rated effect is the animation, the way the flames trail your movement - no other effect does that (some do, e.g. AF and RA, but not to the same extent).  Most effects just look the same whether you're moving or not.  Burning however changes shape as you move in a way that no other effect does.   This is why it's number 1, and this is why it will continue to be number 1.  

if something like vivid plasma was the highest tier effect youd be saying the same thing abt it. its only liked by everyone because of its value and widely known as "the best effect" even tho most people would agree that for a hat that can cost thousands of real dollars it really does look like shit

if something like vivid plasma was the highest tier effect youd be saying the same thing abt it. its only liked by everyone because of its value and widely known as "the best effect" even tho most people would agree that for a hat that can cost thousands of real dollars it really does look like shit

I'm pretty sure this is why everyone here thinks Burning is overrated: You look at burning in your loadout and it looks lame.  In order to really appreciate Burning and Scorching, you actually need to see the effects on another player as they move in-game (for example, check out a burning or scorching hat on a soldier as he's rocket jumping).  The reason why they're the highest rated effect is the animation, the way the flames trail your movement - no other effect does that (some do, e.g. AF and RA, but not to the same extent).  Most effects just look the same whether you're moving or not.  Burning however changes shape as you move in a way that no other effect does.   This is why it's number 1, and this is why it will continue to be number 1.  

^ this is why it's the highest tier effect.  There's a very good reason why it's not vivid plasma, energies, or whatever else.  A handful of high end traders didn't just decide among themselves that Burning is the highest effect (as a matter of fact, at the very beginning it was beams, which was then overtaken by Burning and Scorching).   Once upon a time,  people who traded unusuals actually played the game as well.  There's nothing that quite says "I'm going to fuck you up" as a soldier rocket jumping on you with flames trailing of his hat, certainly more impressive looking than anything else.  

I like a lot of those effects. But then again, I never had an unusual..

In other news, sources say people are getting butthurt over Burning being voted the most overrated effect in the game! More at 11.

This is because while you're entitled to your opinion, it makes you look like you have no idea what you're talking about. There's a reason as to why burning high-tiers, and even low-tiers are so pricey. There's a reason as to why even quickbuyers buy burning hats for more than what they'd buy other 1st gen effects for. Not only is burning one of the most noticeable and gorgeous effects, it embodies the pinnacle of unusual effects. This isn't only my opinion, but one thousands of individuals have shared over the course of time. How can you NOT find appeal in the "shit's on fire, yo" and what Gren said is my question. When you simplify it like that you're destroying your own reasoning. Allow me to demonstrate:

• Blizzardy Storm: white cloud over your hat, woo.

• Sunbeams: your hat's shining, woo.

• DBD: fucking night club lights on your hat, woo.

• Cloudy Moon: moon over your hat, woo.

Bear in mind I've mentioned the effects most people like above (yes, you've heard me correctly; tons of people love blizz storm and dbd). Your reasoning can be applied to literally every effect in existence, so it's self-contradictory. Another major factor is rarity: the unusual market isn't super-inflated with burning hats. You know why? Because people like this effect so much they keep it instead of reselling. Hell, I've decided to keep my burning toque instead of reselling it like I always do. I could easily flip it for a 10 keys profit from what I bought it for, but I choose not to because it looks so damn good.

I've seen it in-game, nothing special. I can also make a Burning effect with any flamethrower. Hell, catch someone on fire as a pyro and I got no clue if their hat is Burning anymore or whether or not it's just on fire.

• Blizzardy Storm: white cloud over your hat, woo.

• Sunbeams: your hat's shining, woo.

• DBD: fucking night club lights on your hat, woo.

• Cloudy Moon: moon over your hat, woo.

Which is why I don't own any of those. :^)

1. 2011 Halloween 

2. 2012 Halloween

3. 2014 Halloween

4. Malard

5. Overclocked

Not overrated:

i honestly think Beams is boring looking, and Energies just don't look good compared to AF/RA or Pfetti/GFetti

I've seen it in-game, nothing special. I can also make a Burning effect with any flamethrower. Hell, catch someone on fire as a pyro and I got no clue if their hat is Burning anymore or whether or not it's just on fire.

Which is why I don't own any of those. :^)

Kek, way to go to cherrypick to try and validate your reasoning; it still applies to every other effect in existence. Let's take a look at your hats.

Your Confetti Cowl: confetti over your hat, woo.

Your Hellfire Dapper's: orange pentagram over your hat, woo.

Your Sulphurous Toque: your hat's on e-fire, woo.

I could go on with every unusual you own and diminish from their appearance.

Why do you own these, then? How an effect looks like and how good it is is completely subjective, which is why you can't say how good or bad burning is. However, thousands of people have agreed over time Burning is simply the best. No need to act condescending and use a weak, off-topic rebuttal because you're proved wrong, furthermore. Is it not hypocritical of you to shit on Burning when you own its robotic counterpart? Furthermore, your rebuttal of "I can burn someone so burning is nothing special" is laughable: one is a permanent particle effect, the other is temporary and doesn't trail one's movement as fluently as the effect does. Off-topic.

Archived