The Gun Mettle Update

Mr. Baconstrips

Just thinking about how many different weapon/skins are being released.

There are 4 different collections: Teufort, Craftsmann, Powerhouse and Concealed Killer.

There are 5 different levels of wear: Factory New, Minimal Wear, Field-Tested, Well-Worn and Battle Scarred.

So that is 20 variants for each weapon, but the update suggests that for example; all Factory New Teufort Miniguns will vary slightly in the placement of their skins.

This only appears to be for stock guns, not stock melee or non-stock (nor non-projectile firing in general) based on the pictures we have. So that is like 13 weapons right? So that means 20 variants of 13 weapons, or 260 different weapon/skins, which than vary into Unique, Strange, Unusual, and Strange Unusual; and the Unusuals / Strange Unusuals vary by effect. Nevermind the killstreaks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really liked the Loch n Load pre-nerf... I get that people thought it was overpowered. It was. But the idea behind the LnL was that if you could aim (or were really lucky with) your shots, you'd get the extra 20% damage bonus. It rewarded you for not grenade spamming your targets and hoping the rolling nades would kill/hurt someone. That's what the 15% projectile speed was for. Whats the purpose of having projectile speed on a target that doesn't move? 

Cut back the damage bonus to 10% or 15%. Don't give it a bonus that doesn't fit the play-style. 

I actually like what they did with this update:

- a bunch of weapons got a massive reworking, meaning new playstyles for both pub and comp play

In what way do you think this is good? When was the last time FIFA or the NFL or the NBA or the MLB or the Olympics or anyone else just decided to call a YOLO and change half the rules in the playbook for no reason?  

"Oh, but it'll get some new people watching basketball!" 

legit stupidest thing they've ever done with TF2. 

In what way do you think this is good? When was the last time FIFA or the NFL or the NBA or the MLB or the Olympics or anyone else just decided to call a YOLO and change half the rules in the playbook for no reason?  

These aren't rules, these are weapons; the last time we got a reworking weapons that barely got any use became more useful (like the quick fix) while some weapons became more balanced to play with and play against. This update will do the same; expecting weapons not to be changed is naive and unrealistic, and your comparison to sport rules is a stretch at best.

Oooohhhhhhh, fan o warrrrrrrrr, you are gonna be SO GOOD, heavy, you no longer snapped like a toothpick, I think I'm actually gonna like this update.

So your saying you would much rather have a game where there is are many overpowered weapons and many that have almost no use, compared to a few overpowered weapons and many other weapons that actually have use? 

What I'm trying to say (as somebody whos been playing TF2 since it came out and TFC since 2000, when many of the posters on here were in diapers) that I loved the game much more during the time of stock weapons and no cosmetics. It was all about the game and teamwork then. Now, it's all about people taunting in spawn, weapons constantly being over/under powered so they have to be nerfed/buffed, and what stupid cosmetics you can collect to wear which fuels Valve's pocketbook, but does little to improve gameplay.

I get it from a business standpoint for Valve, it's made them truckloads of money, but games used to be about THE GAME, and now it's all about the other stupid shit which people think they need to impress others in the servers with, and in reality, nobody with half a brain cares. 

This feels a lot like when 343 took over Halo, and Halo 4 was released. It upset loads of people because they 'CoD-ified' it; i.e, customizable loadouts, perks, pseudo-killstreak and so on. I still managed to enjoy it, though having said that my taste in games isn't exactly stellar. Some of the weapon rebalances are disappointing and the skins seem uninspired but it'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

6$ for an operation pass is very expensive for just a few missions (2 per week ??) and some skins. 

I really think it doesn't worth it at all, it is just another good money pump.

That said, it is not a big update, but it is nice anyway. We have :

- some new fresh maps ;

- overall rebalance of weapons ;

- and some new cosmetic functions and taunts.

- the Heavy has regained some interest compared to other classes.

I don't really care about these new weapon skins, I would have preferred to get a 4th cosmetic slot. Nevermind.

Beyond this update, it seems Valve cares more about TF2 and implemented some new functions, and made some necessary adjustements..

which in a way, confirms that they are determined to implement this competitive matchmaking system.

People complain very much about Valve, for good and bad reasons. 

This feels a lot like when 343 took over Halo, and Halo 4 was released. It upset loads of people because they 'CoD-ified' it; i.e, customizable loadouts, perks, pseudo-killstreak and so on. I still managed to enjoy it, though having said that my taste in games isn't exactly stellar. Some of the weapon rebalances are disappointing and the skins seem uninspired but it'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Agreed with that sentiment. Sigh I miss those days (Halo <= 3, CS <= 1.6) when it was all about skill, those were the most fun times of online gaming in my life.

it's funny because the MLB is actually making big rule changes to make the game more interesting

Bad comparison. The only thing Valve is doing here is changing the current meta. I'm also genuinely surprised that you in no way expected this since Valve has been doing this sort of thing with their big 3 games since the beginning of time. It's also probably balancing the weapons for comp since a lot say that the weapons are unbalanced at the moment. (overpowered for comp gameplay/useless in all situations)

It's absolutely shocking that TF2 would borrow so heavily from CS:GO.  I mean, nobody plays CS:GO, amirite guys?  

Valve needs to make money from this game in order to keep supporting it.   Why shouldn't they borrow from a brand that shares many of the same consumers?   It's tried and proven and they know that it will definitely resonate with at least a decent number of the player base.  It's a way of minimizing risk.

Valve needs to make money in the game? How is the store, scm tax, mvm, crate openings, event crates not making money? Valve needs to make money in the game by respecting what came before. It is one thing to re-issue a strange kritzkrieg or a strange gunslinger, but making stranges and strange parts on weapons obsolete for an update is completely different. The game play updates and maps may be cool, but this may work differently for tf2 than it did for csgo.

Valve needs to make money in the game? How is the store, scm tax, mvm, crate openings, event crates not making money? Valve needs to make money in the game by respecting what came before. It is one thing to re-issue a strange kritzkrieg or a strange gunslinger, but making stranges and strange parts on weapons obsolete for an update is completely different. The game play updates and maps may be cool, but this may work differently for tf2 than it did for csgo.

You realize that the ways you listed in which they make money are (or at least were at one point)  updates, right?  That's all this is, an update, it's not fundamentally changing the fabric of TF2. 

How are these new weapons any different from other re-skins?  Some will come in strange quality, meaning you will be able to attach strange parts.  So check the box on that one, market not dead.  Making stranges obsolete?  How are these new skins making existing stranges anymore obsolete than botkillers, strange festives or australiums already did?  

Are you honestly saying that these new weapon skins wont tank stock stranges, festives and botkillers? Because if you are, not really a point in having a discussion. And same goes for the statclock and strange parts up to a point.

it's funny because the MLB is actually making big rule changes to make the game more interesting

This makes sense, the only people that watch baseball are people who were born before electricity was discovered and as they die nobody will watch the sport because it's so fundamentally similar to simply watching people landscape or garden.

People play TF2. A lot of them. I know this because every time I open up TF2 I see a ton of full servers. 

Also, unlike MLB, which does not own the NFL or FIFA or the NBA, VALVe already owns CS:GO as well as TF2. They can satisfy two entirely independent markets without trying to change one to be more like the other. TF2 does not compete with CS:GO and it doesn't need to. Obviously MLB competes with other sports.

I am starting to suspect that there is a tremendous overlap between people who don't think this update is dumb and people who watch baseball.  :rustled:

since the update the grass in my yard has already died, the people in my town have grown violently ill and every channel on TV now just shows baseball games in standard definition. The sky has grown black as the locusts rain down from above and all the food in my fridge has gone rancid. 

In all seriousness if some of you guys want to find an empty server and just test out all these new weapon changes add me

• 3 weeks later...

Archived