Overpay Rant

SirMillbot

So I have been away from TF2 for about 1 year and obviously many things have changed in regards to trading. The one thing that I am really over is when someone is selling an unusual for XX keys and is asking for minimum 30% overpay on unusual offers (oh and of course its gotta be 1st gen cuz anything else is shat). I mean come on, your hat is worth 36 keys and mine is worth say 40, you are going to kick me in the nuts because the overpay isn't some ridiculous 10 keys. And you wonder why it has been for sale for multiple months with few offers. And this seems so prevalent, almost every sale on TF2OP is looking for 20-30% in 1st gen and 30-50% in anything else. I'm not stupid, I understand people want to make some profit, but damn people, its made unusual trading even more painful than it was. I'm selling a Eerie Orbiting Fire Bicorne for 36 keys, I'll take less than that in pure and maybe 2-4 keys over that in overpay, seems reasonable to me. Had someone quick selling a hat for 26 keys and looking for 30% overpay, I offer a 36 key unusual (1st gen) and the reply I get is that its 30% overpay on the bp.tf price, not the quick sell price. What. The. Fuck.

i hate overpay too

but eh, nothing you can do about it. it's the same way with steamrep. It fucking sucks and could easily lose it's power, but too many people rely on it.

bp.tf is not an official price site. it's a guide on what you can possibly sell hats for. nobody has to follow it. they can sell their hat for whatever they choose the price to be. if you don't like the users price, don't buy it. simple as that.

bp.tf is not an official price site. it's a guide on what you can possibly sell hats for. nobody has to follow it. they can sell their hat for whatever they choose the price to be. if you don't like the users price, don't buy it. simple as that.

And 98% of all sellers on TF2OP use BP.tf as their pricing guide, plain and simple. So your price is 35 keys, my hat is worth 40 keys based on the same place you priced your hat. Agreed you can sell it for whatever you want, not what the rant was about.

I agree I hate the overpay but sometimes pain is your biggest friend. That friend is success, sometimes we all have to go through a little pain to get out of that comfort zone that we are always encapsulated in. It is when we make pain our friend when our success starts to formulate.

I know you may or may not understand this. But if you don't it is a sign that you are spoiled always letting other people do the work for you, it is also a sign that you never worked hard in your life for something. I was in this area but I fought my way out, nothing is easy in life my friend you gotta be willing to be uncomfortable and learning to adapt. Thats why I take a cold bath every single day and will continue to do so for the rest of my life, as it is a reminder that being comfortable will make us lazy and unsuccessful but if your willing to take pain just for a few seconds, minutes or hours you will succeed.

Every professional trader or any successful buisiness had to take risks

you can't gain unless your willing to give, thats how this world works.

Remember love over hate every single time.

I hope this has helped you, think of overpaying as your friend your pain..

I agree I hate the overpay but sometimes pain is your biggest friend. That friend is success, sometimes we all have to go through a little pain to get out of that comfort zone that we are always encapsulated in. It is when we make pain our friend when our success starts to formulate.

Um . . .. 

YOU want MY hat

I don't(Maybe) want YOUR hat

Am I going to take your hat because its a 4 key overpay? maybe, depends on the hat

some things are easier to sell

No need to complain about overpay, if overpay wasn't a thing, nothing would ever go up in price

it's to lead people away from paying with items. why go through all the hassle of selling yet another item, when they can have sweet luxurious pure.

it's to lead people away from paying with items. why go through all the hassle of selling yet another item, when they can have sweet luxurious pure.

Pure seems like such a rare offer these days though for hats under 100 keys . . . .

Pure seems like such a rare offer these days though for hats under 100 keys . . . .

Doesn't seem like you would know though, I've sold most of my hats that were under 100 keys for pure easily since they were cheaper then high teirs so lower teir traders could get them

and I've been trading for about a year and a few months, and ~1000$ BP (not including items being brokered) I've had my share of low teirs and high teirs

YOU want MY hat

I don't(Maybe) want YOUR hat

Am I going to take your hat because its a 4 key overpay? maybe, depends on the hat

some things are easier to sell

No need to complain about overpay, if overpay wasn't a thing, nothing would ever go up in price

Totally get you may not want my hat. But when you put 40-50% overpay right off the bat, chances are you aren't going to get a chance to see many hats you may actually want. Just sayin.

*ahem*

May I remind you that hundreds of trades on csgolounge demand "OVERPAY/ITEM OFFERS ONLY"

Doesn't seem like you would know though, I've sold most of my hats that were under 100 keys for pure easily since they were cheaper then high teirs so lower teir traders could get them

and I've been trading for about a year and a few months, and ~1000$ BP (not including items being brokered) I've had my share of low teirs and high teirs

Lol. Have traded many unusuals, take a look at my TF2OP profile. Cursory glance at your last month or 2 of trades, not seeing pure offers, but u may be getting those privately. We'll agree to disagree.

Here's a simple explanation of TF2Outpost:

bible.tf followers

people who follow bible.tf but deny it and expect people to buy their shitty overpriced items

bible.tf followers who quickbuy like 90% off of bp.tf price

people who only want offers

people who say "duped is 95% less"

level 52 fgts

people who expect you to pay 10 keys more for a certain level

noobs

Thats why I take a cold bath every single day and will continue to do so for the rest of my life, as it is a reminder that being comfortable will make us lazy and unsuccessful but if your willing to take pain just for a few seconds, minutes or hours you will succeed.

u for reals?

Lol. Have traded many unusuals, take a look at my TF2OP profile. Cursory glance at your last month or 2 of trades, not seeing pure offers, but u may be getting those privately. We'll agree to disagree.

Those are mostly high teir's I've been trading

Look at my more recently sunbeams conno trade

sold that for full pure

Also, looked at your OP profile

that isn't many unusuals lol

*ahem*

May I remind you that hundreds of trades on csgolounge demand "OVERPAY/ITEM OFFERS ONLY"

*ahem*

May i remind you that he is talking about Team Fortress 2 websites, not cs:go lounge?

So I have been away from TF2 for about 1 year and obviously many things have changed in regards to trading. The one thing that I am really over is when someone is selling an unusual for XX keys and is asking for minimum 30% overpay on unusual offers (oh and of course its gotta be 1st gen cuz anything else is shat). I mean come on, your hat is worth 36 keys and mine is worth say 40, you are going to kick me in the nuts because the overpay isn't some ridiculous 10 keys. And you wonder why it has been for sale for multiple months with few offers. And this seems so prevalent, almost every sale on TF2OP is looking for 20-30% in 1st gen and 30-50% in anything else. I'm not stupid, I understand people want to make some profit, but damn people, its made unusual trading even more painful than it was. I'm selling a Eerie Orbiting Fire Bicorne for 36 keys, I'll take less than that in pure and maybe 2-4 keys over that in overpay, seems reasonable to me. Had someone quick selling a hat for 26 keys and looking for 30% overpay, I offer a 36 key unusual (1st gen) and the reply I get is that its 30% overpay on the bp.tf price, not the quick sell price. What. The. Fuck.

Of course I'm going to expect overpay.  If we do a 1:1 trade for two hats of equal value, you end up with a hat you really want, and I'm in the exact same position as I was before, only with a different hat.  You gained something (the hat you really wanted), but I gained nothing.  That's not a very good transaction for me, I'm sure you agree.  If you really want me hat, then sweeten the deal for me, i.e. apply some overpay.  And I would say that 10% is minimum overpay rather than standard. 

Also, of course he means overpay above the bp.tf price, not over the price he's quickselling.  The trade didn't all of a sudden turn into a free hat upgrade station.  If you have pure, you can get a deal, because with that pure, he can buy whatever he wants.  If you pay him in hats at his quicksell price or even a little higher, he's worse off than before since he ends up with a hat of less bargaining power.   

here's a line I've never received a positive response to.

"since yours is worth so much more, how bout you sell it and just pay me with the pure you get for it?"

think about why that receives a shitty response. think about what that says about how absolutely cancerous your argument is.

It's a necessary evil.

10-20% overpay is expected, anything more is upto the seller.

People might want more because it's a robo, or because of the effect or if it's duped, but to be honest, anyone asking for more than 40% overpay is just cancerous.

10% overpay at 20 keys is only 2 keys.

10% overpay at 100 is 10.

Both of which are fair.

50% overpay at 20 keys is 30 keys.

50% overpay at 100 keys is 150 keys.

Neither of which are fair.

If no-one overpaid, the economy wouldn't change. Everything would be fixed, and it'd be impossible to profit.

Especially when you get into high tiers. I normally take overpay as X amount, rather than X%, as it's easier.

A good example of people being stupid is Golden Pans. I just tried to buy one;

1000 pure - Sure.

1500 mixed - Sure, understandable

2000 in unusuals - die in a hole.

Of course I'm going to expect overpay.  If we do a 1:1 trade for two hats of equal value, you end up with a hat you really want, and I'm in the exact same position as I was before, only with a different hat.  You gained something (the hat you really wanted), but I gained nothing.  That's not a very good transaction for me, I'm sure you agree.  If you really want me hat, then sweeten the deal for me, i.e. apply some overpay.  An I would say that 10% is minimum overpay rather than standard. 

Also, of course he means overpay above the bp.tf price, not over the price he's quickselling.  The trade didn't all of a sudden turn into a free hat upgrade station.  If you have pure, you can get a deal, because with that pure, he can buy whatever he wants.  If you pay him in hats at his quicksell price or even a little higher, he's worse off then before since he ends up with a hat of less bargaining power.   

Again, agree a bit of overpay works for me, your 10% is right in line with my thinking - problem is that I never see 10% overpay asked for. 

He's worse off anyway cuz he's quick selling a hat that is worth more than he is asking for. I wasnt paying the quicksell price, was offering something that was 30% overpay. If you want pure, just ask for pure, don't take unusual offers. 

I've never been what I call "gen racist". all of them sell just as fast/slow as all of the other effects around that price range. As for overpay, I never have a specific percentage. Just that it's a little more than what I'm asking for. The thing that I really hate about most unusual traders are the ones SELLING 3rd Gen effects and saying that 3rd Gen offers require more overpay.

It's a necessary evil.

10-20% overpay is expected, anything more is upto the seller.

Totally agree - but people asking for 10-20% is way in the minority, guess that was what one of my points was anyway.

Totally agree - but people asking for 10-20% is way in the minority.

Read the full post.

As said by many people, unless I really dislike the hat, I wouldn't 1:1 without fair overpay, unless I like your hat equally.

There are robo hats priced at 40-50 ish.

Doesn't mean I'll take them for my 30-40 hat.

Archived