Abortion. Your thoughts?

TheVenomWithin

I also agree that the father should be able to abolish his fatherhood if he doesn't want it. But that is another topic all together.

meaning what? fathers and in fact all parents can and do "abolish" their parenthood by putting children up for adoption, leaving the family, et cetera. it's not illegal.

are you suggesting that fathers should "have a say" i.e. be able to force an abortion / force the mother to carry a foetus she doesn't want for 9 months?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every sane people is against abortion, some are pro choice, that's a huge difference.

I think the decision doesn't belong to the mother as soon as the fetus is a living being.

Ok, it is the mother's womb but the child is another living being with his own rights. If she doesn't want a child, then that's too late to decide. 

Abortion shall only be considered when the mother's health is in danger.

Why so many abortions ? Because many women are left alone to face such a terrible decision, as it is a society question, they shall get support from society.

The problem is that we live in modern societies that only pursue materialistic views, and have no consideration for life itself and even less its spiritual implications.

• Administrators

I actually agree with the second half of that Tats. I'm pro choice, but I do think that better sex education in schools and better help and education available to single parents and low-income families would do more good for people in these situations than the endless pro vs anti choice arguments. Accidental pregnancy isn't difficult to avoid, and plenty of people manage to bring up happy and healthy children on a low-income. If you're don't agree with abortion, a good focus is on reducing unwanted pregnancies to begin with (sex ed) and helping to ensure that women who do find themselves in that situation have somewhere to turn for help, rather than feeling overwhelmed and hopeless. Focusing on those things is positive for both sides in this thread.

On Geel's point about the man's rights in unwanted pregnancy, I would agree that a man should be able to make the choice to sign away all rights and with that all responsibility if a woman he has impregnated has decided to keep a child he would have wanted to abort. There would need to be a fixed term to make a decision in, and absolutely no revoking of the decision later (ie - you can't use it to not pay child support for 10 years and then decide you wanna get to know your 10 year old kid.) I absolutely do not support, however, anything that would allow the man to force the woman to carry a pregnancy to term that she didn't want so he could adopt. If a woman is willing to do that and then sign away her rights, rather than have an abortion, that's fine, but if she wants to get an abortion I don't think it's reasonable or ethical for someone else to override her bodily autonomy - that's kind of the essense of pro-choice anyway.

meaning what? fathers and in fact all parents can and do "abolish" their parenthood by putting children up for adoption, leaving the family, et cetera. it's not illegal.

are you suggesting that fathers should "have a say" i.e. be able to force an abortion / force the mother to carry a foetus she doesn't want for 9 months?

Now women can chose: Have baby or not.

A man can chose: Have baby or pay for it for 18 years. I mean that a father should be able to have a choice to in some way. Not if the baby is born or not but if he should have to pay for 18 years.

But as i said. That is another topic.

It's a fair point that men shouldn't be able to force an abortion or birth upon a woman -- I never really said that should be the case -- but the father should have the same right to revoke parental rights as the mother does.

It should be up the mother. Whatever her choice is, people have to respect that. It's not their baby, not their choice. It's a private and personal thing, it's not good to interfere in those matters.

I'm a male - I'm pretty much in the "I shouldn't have a say over a situation I will never be in" - group

I'm pro choice, and I'm willing to to debate when an unborn child is considered alive or not (up to how many months is abortion murder, Is a monring after pill murder, is a condom?) .

I don't think many will disagree that an abortion of a feutus 8 months 29 days is wrong (at some point, in or outside the eutherus does become a technicality).

I'm categorically against forbidding all abortion. You'll have a very hard time convincing me, that if my sister got raped, and the doc says she'll die giving childbirth, that some stranger(s) have any right to force her to sacrifice her own life for the babies. That's not "pro-life", that's "anti-choice".
(you might think I'm hyperboling, but I've seen some of them anti-abortion law attempts...)

Just had an exam on this, I'm not up for another debate. Anyways, it should be the woman's choice.

People shouldn't have to raise children they don't want to raise, or give birth to them. Earth is overcrowding as-is. No need to bring unwanted children in to make the world an even more miserable place.

I'm not a woman, I don't have religious motivations, and I don't plan on having kids (vasectomy), so I really don't feel pressured to weigh in on the issue of abortion.  I've been able to ignore it for a long time and I plan to go on ignoring it indefinitely.  It simply has nothing to do with me.

What I do care about is being compelled by the state to support a woman and child that I never wanted when abortion is an option.  I've even heard of this happening to men that it's been established are 100% not the father.  It's definitely a men's rights issue.  If a woman chooses to have a child that the father doesn't want, he should not then be compelled to support both her and the child, nor should someone who isn't the biological father be compelled to do the same.  That's fucked up.

To quickly answer I am against abortions.

However, there is always grey in issues like these (its never a black and white thing). I can understand and see why sometimes an abortion is the best answer to other people in cases such as rape, but it is still taking away a life regardless. ITs a sad thing, but I can understand why some people do it in situations such as rape.

To quickly answer I am against abortions.

However, there is always grey in issues like these (its never a black and white thing). I can understand and see why sometimes an abortion is the best answer to other people in cases such as rape, but it is still taking away a life regardless. ITs a sad thing, but I can understand why some people do it in situations such as rape.

I think there are other situations when abortion is considered acceptable by people who might not ordinarily support it.  If the child will have a significant disability, for example.

I can see why, too.  If the child will suffer in life, some would consider it humane to abort it before that can happen.  Others might disagree and think any life is worth having a chance at as long as there is the possibility for happiness.

Another situation would be if the child poses a significant medical risk to the mother.  I can totally understand someone wanting to get an abortion if they have a good reason think they'll die as a result of the pregnancy or while giving birth.

I think there are other situations when abortion is considered acceptable by people who might not ordinarily support it.  If the child will have a significant disability, for example.

I can see why, too.  If the child will suffer in life, some would consider it humane to abort it before that can happen.  Others might disagree and think any life is worth having a chance at as long as there is the possibility for happiness.

Another situation would be if the child poses a significant medical risk to the mother.  I can totally understand someone wanting to get an abortion if they have a good reason think they'll die as a result of the pregnancy or while giving birth.

Right, there are plenty more situations where abortion can be somewhat reasonable and understandable. (I just couldn't think of many when I posted that). There is so much grey in the topic that its hard to really pick a side without context.

Also, relating to disabilities within the kids, I am curious to ask what you would mean by that. (I understand and completely agree if the child will constantly suffer an abortion may be reasonable, however I'm unsure of what you would consider an acceptable reason to abort based off disabilities).

I personally would never get an abortion, whether it was due to consensual sex or rape. But it is the woman's right to get one if she so pleases tbh. It's an undeveloped fetus, not an actual child yet.

abortion is a-okay with me

i'm not going to be the one to tell you to keep or get rid of the shrively fetus thing inside you

I think it should be generally okay under given circumstances. Especially when the woman was raped (actually raped, not the tumblr kinda thing), when it's clearly impossible for the mother to take care of her (unwanted) child properly, or the pregnancy ruins a young woman's career. Id rather have an aborted child than an single mother without proper education living off welfare for the rest of her life because she can't escape that cycle. 

Either way, the process of evaluating wether abortion is an option in a case should be a bit more strict than just going to a clinic and getting aborted. 

I also think for the non-rape cases it would be a smart idea to properly educate especially young people about proper safer sex. It's really not that hard to avoid the baby you don't want. 

Edit: I also think males don't really have the right to argue about this topic, I'm just stating my opinion here. 

-snip-

Edit: I also think males don't really have the right to argue about this topic, I'm just stating my opinion here. 

males should have a tad bit of say, since every pregnant female has a sperm donor

males should have a tad bit of say, since every pregnant female has a sperm donor

If it's the father, I agree with you. If it's for example some goody two shoes christian bystander, NO. 

Archived