Is Unboxing "Stupid"?

Python.

Players who open cases have no sense of probability or large numbers

Like Roulette, it doesn't matter how many times you play, ideally it will always be the same chance

Say there is a 1% chance of getting a knife/unusual from a crate. Many would assume "Hey, if I open 100 crates, at least one of those crates will grant me a knife, so I'll go for it." But no, it will always be a 1% chance no matter how many are opened.

This is not an argument. It is mathematical fact.

In TF2, when you open a crate, there is simply a timer then what you won.

However, in CS:GO, Gaben makes opening a crate like a spinning wheel, to make it seem the unboxer was "close" to a rare skin

The item is already predetermined when the key is used on the crate, and for CS:GO, it's a good tactic to make people continuously unbox

TL;DR: There is no correlation from one crate to the next, and you cannot forge the odds towards you in the end

My question: Knowing the facts presented, is unboxing stupid? NOTE: If you want to make money

If you wanna do it for fun and know the risks, go for it. This question is for the people that do it to increase profits.

Some just do it for fun :/

I do it for fun, i cross my hooves fingers when i unbox

If you wanna do it for fun and know the risks, go for it. This question is for the people that do it to increase profits.

Reading so hard.

I only do it for fun, I know I'll never be lucky enough to get an unusual (or any profit, really)

Although with how poor I am, it's obviously not a very good idea.

You're correct that every crate unboxed would be a 1% chance, that the chance doesn't increase, but it is still a logical notion to assume that, out of a large group of unboxed crates, there is a higher possibility of having an unusual than in one crate.

People mass unbox, because when they do they are more likely to end up with an unusual. And that is fact.

Is gambling "stupid"? The average net gain is less than zero. However, people still gamble because they think they can get lucky. If being tempted by luck is stupid, then yeah.

If you are a MLG pro mathematician that focuses on applied probability, then gambling isn't stupid, assuming there's even a loophole still available (There were tons).

Same thing applies here. If you somehow decompile TF2 and have a good understanding of the algorithms used for psuedorandom generators, go unbox.

I answered both of these in the original post, but here I go again.

If you are a MLG pro mathematician that focuses on applied probability, then gambling isn't stupid, assuming there's even a loophole still available (There were tons).
Same thing applies here. If you somehow decompile TF2 and have a good understanding of the algorithms used for psuedorandom generators, go unbox.

Crates cannot be manipulated. There will always be the same chance of getting something. Whether or not you're a math professor has nothing to do with it. Knowing what you will get and when to unbox to get it is on the border of impossible

You're correct that every crate unboxed would be a 1% chance, that the chance doesn't increase, but it is still a logical notion to assume that, out of a large group of unboxed crates, there is a higher possibility of having an unusual than in one crate.

People mass unbox, because when they do they are more likely to end up with an unusual. And that is fact.

No, it's illogical to assume the percent chance of getting something in a crate goes up the more you unbox

Considering math is based about logic

Also, no, still wrong. Someone unboxing 100 crates in 3 seconds has the same chance of getting an unusual compared to a guy who unboxes 2 crates in an hour. Your statement is the opposite of fact.

-jif-

Well if you're not gonna bother reading, make yourself out to be an idiot, then shitpost, why comment?

No, it's illogical to assume the percent chance of getting something in a crate goes up the more you unbox

Considering math is based about logic

Also, no, still wrong. Someone unboxing 100 crates in 3 seconds has the same chance of getting an unusual compared to a guy who unboxes 2 crates in an hour. Your statement is the opposite of fact.

They weren't saying that unboxing 100 crates will give them more of a probability; just that you're more likely to get one. Although it's always the same probablility of getting an unusual, the more you open the more likely you are to receive one. I.E. Opening a single crate gives you ONE shot at the less than %1 chance of getting an unusual. Opening 100 crates gives you ONE HUNDRED shots at the less than %1 chance. Therefore, you're more likely to get one. It's like buying 1 lottery ticket vs. buying 100 lottery tickets. Same odds, but you're more likely to win because of more chances (and spend more money in the process, decreasing possible profits). Just sayin'.

Is gambling "stupid"? The average net gain is less than zero. However, people still gamble because they think they can get lucky. If being tempted by luck is stupid, then yeah.

I'm +$50 this year on gambling with classmates and +10 keys on tf2 betting

#thankyoubasketballgods #thankyoucrabbinggods

In the end it all comes down to if you get an unusual

If you don't, you will claim that it is dumb

If you do and make profit, then you will claim that it was worth it

It's not stupid, in my opinion. I want to provide evidence, but you kinda got me. It's a game of chance --  gambling. By stats, you can win eventually if you put enough cash into it, but whether it's worth it or not is different from person to person.

If you think taking a risk is stupid, then it's stupid. But otherwise, you're just taking a risk in hopes of getting profit.

Even you have luck and unbox unusual and get unprofit if you unbox 50 crate and get unusual 20 keys you get 30 keys of unprofit

I like to unbox because I enjoy taking the risk with what Item I will end up getting. I mostly unbox for paints or high stranges that I want (Strange Awp/Kritzkreg) I guess some would find it stupid and rather just buy the weapons with pure for a quicksell price. Sometimes I just find it more amusing to use that item when I'm the one who unboxed it.

Here is fun equation to play with if you like numbers.

(Assuming the chance to get an unusual is 1%)

[1 - (.99)n ] 100%= %Chance to get an unusual

n = number of crates you open.

So assuming you open 100 crates symotantiously, you have a chance of ~63% chance at atleast 1 unusual.

giphy.gif

Like Roulette, it doesn't matter how many times you play, ideally it will always be the same chance

Say there is a 1% chance of getting a knife/unusual from a crate. Many would assume "Hey, if I open 100 crates, at least one of those crates will grant me a knife, so I'll go for it." But no, it will always be a 1% chance no matter how many are opened.

However, in CS:GO, Gaben makes opening a crate like a spinning wheel, to make it seem the unboxer was "close" to a rare skin

The item is already predetermined when the key is used on the crate, and for CS:GO, it's a good tactic to make people continuously unbox

TL;DR: There is no correlation from one crate to the next, and you cannot forge the odds towards you in the end

My question: Knowing the facts presented, is unboxing stupid? NOTE: If you want to make money

Other than drugs, where do you get adrenaline rush  from? Okay maybe from dangerous situations, but unboxing gives you a rush of some sort.

But in term, good luck  

Depends on the motives and factors behind it.

I've had my friend waste 250 keys on unboxing, because he was depressed, and he got nothing (which didn't help), which I'd call stupid.

but I occasionally unbox one or two, and people with the disposable income and the understanding that gaben's gonna fak you in the bum either way, I wouldn't say so.

Here is fun equation to play with if you like numbers.

(Assuming the chance to get an unusual is 1%)

[1 - (.99)n ] 100%= %Chance to get an unusual

n = number of crates you open.

So assuming you open 100 crates symotantiously, you have a chance of ~63% chance at atleast 1 unusual.

I don't know how many times I'm gonna have to say this, but crates are completely independent of each other 

Opening a crate, even at the exact same time, will not result in more than a 1% chance of getting an unusual

They weren't saying that unboxing 100 crates will give them more of a probability; just that you're more likely to get one. Although it's always the same probablility of getting an unusual, the more you open the more likely you are to receive one. I.E. Opening a single crate gives you ONE shot at the less than %1 chance of getting an unusual. Opening 100 crates gives you ONE HUNDRED shots at the less than %1 chance. Therefore, you're more likely to get one. It's like buying 1 lottery ticket vs. buying 100 lottery tickets. Same odds, but you're more likely to win because of more chances (and spend more money in the process, decreasing possible profits). Just sayin'.

Agreed. I read it as chance, not "more likely", which may sound the same, but aren't

Opening a crate, even at the exact same time, will not result in more than a 1% chance of getting an unusual

I don't think you understand exactly what I am saying.

I don't know how many times I'm gonna have to say this, but crates are completely independent of each other

Indeed they are, and I just showed you an equation to calculate them from the begining to end stand point.

Like "Gee, I have 100 keys, I wonder what are the chances of getting an unusual if I opened them all at once." The answer to that is ~63%

Opening more crates increases your chances to find an unusual obviously. but in a slow, non-linear way.

But if you look at it as 1 key at a time, then yeah, it's all virtually the same. Just thought it would be cool to show the internet kids of the world your chances from a grand standpoint :D

I don't know about cs:go, but the contents of tf2 crates are determined at the moment of unboxing.

Archived