Why is it bad to trade with a scammer?

L3mAn

That's pretty terrible then to be honest, the person who bought the item off the scammer essentially didn't do anything wrong... he didn't steal the item at all, and by not buying the item its not like the person who was scammed is more likely to get the item back -.-

They did do something wrong. Notice the last part of my post. "If they've been given multiple warnings." Yes, Everyone makes mistakes. But after a while, if you don't learn from those mistakes and continue to support the said scammer at hand, what better are you than they? Its a classic example of someone driving in the get away car after a bank robbery. You may have not ran in the bank, stole the money, held hostages with a gun swinging around, but you did in fact support the bank robbers. And do you really expect the person who bought the item from the scammer likely to return it to its original owner?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Puddingkip incoming)

Anyways, next time just be careful of who you trade with and always check for obvious signs of scammer alts. 

They did do something wrong. Notice the last part of my post. "If they've been given multiple warnings." Yes, Everyone makes mistakes. But after a while, if you don't learn from those mistakes and continue to support the said scammer at hand, what better are you than they? Its a classic example of someone driving in the get away car after a bank robbery. You may have not ran in the bank, stole the money, held hostages with a gun swinging around, but you did in fact support the bank robbers. And do you really expect the person who bought the item from the scammer likely to return it to its original owner?

Not really willing to keep typing to you to be honest, but you are comparing two completely different things. People can die in a bank robbery and lives can be ruined, tf2 is a game! I also never said i expected the scammer to return the item to the owner, but what I did say was that just because people don't buy the item doesn't mean the scammer will return it. Eventually someone will buy it and I honestly do not think that buying the item affects anything at all considering, like you said, the scammer isn't going to give the item back anyway so why does it matter that someone bought it. Im just going to leave it at that though because I really don't feel like starting anything

(Puddingkip incoming)

inb4 I get another warning point from pudding

Not really willing to keep typing to you to be honest, but you are comparing two completely different things. People can die in a bank robbery and lives can be ruined, tf2 is a game! I also never said i expected the scammer to return the item to the owner, but what I did say was that just because people don't buy the item doesn't mean the scammer will return it. Eventually someone will buy it and I honestly do not think that buying the item affects anything at all considering, like you said, the scammer isn't going to give the item back anyway so why does it matter that someone bought it. Im just going to leave it at that though because I really don't feel like starting anything

A game in which people spend hundreds, thousands of dollars on. Online scams are a thing ya know. Lives can't be "ruined" per say, but they can still be greatly impacted. And I don't see how my example was completely irrelevant, because in actuality it really isn't. Perhaps exaggerated a tad, but still relevant.  It DOES matter that you are buying items from a scammer, as that'll continue to support them into scamming MORE people. It's a crime and it should be treated as such.  And I don't believe we are "starting anything", we are merely conversing our opinions on the matter at hand.

By unbanned scammers, do you mean people who accidently traded with scammers xD

sorry took me awhile to find proof for this, there was multiple instances of people who told you that the tartan was scammed by that user . And also for the status update of you talking about getting banned with users talking about ithttp://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/statuses/user/8977-pinkiepie/?status_id=95042Mind explaining that to me when you asked us for advice when we told you before taking the offer?

c9nqOjh.png

-snip

d-d-d destroyed. Interested in hearing your response. Honestly, That gave me a good chuckle. We specifically told you it was from a scammer, and yet you didn't listen and followed through with the trade. Ignorance is not an excuse in this case, you did it anyway KNOWING it was a scammer. With that being said, you deserve not only an outpost ban but a full SR mark or at least a full SR caution i'd say would be just punishment: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198086605050-tf2-team-fortress-2-items.82367/

**Plz Pud don't you remove this picture ;[**

dis_gon_be_good.gif

Anyhow this is probably going to be another Teeird moment where we provide sufficient evidence towards the other user with no feedback to make them "innocent" either way, I am done with the flamewar for now. If he wants to provide a counter-claim towards my post feel free to.

btw, I had intended me saying filthy scrub to be a joke, but obviously this thread took a more serious turn :L I best be more careful i guess lol

Anyhow this is probably going to be another Teeird moment where we provide sufficient evidence towards the other user with no feedback to make them "innocent" either way, I am done with the flamewar for now. If he wants to provide a counter-claim towards my post feel free to.

yeah but pinkie wont flee the forums because hes scared

yeah but pinkie wont flee the forums because hes scared

Sometimes I have suspicions on teeird just browsing the forums since there is an occasional guest on there. Also pinkie stops coming on forums weeks/months at a time due to his status update timeline. Either way, neither will provide enough proof to show that there thoroughly innocent.

Also I believe teeird added a user via the forums awhile back to offer on there unusual or something. Which was only advertised on the forums

btw, l3man you really should have kept quiet about this, filthy scrubs like rafiozol will probably report you and considering you gave the evidence completely away you probably won't even be able to appeal :L

PJSalt 2302f19fe5271e0f57b18bd52d2c96f13fe5e471

Dang, Turned from a flamewar to a shit post thread. Come on now, Keep the posts relevant to the topic at hand if you want to prevent from getting warned

!!

Dang, Turned from a flamewar to a shit post thread. Come on now, Keep the posts relevant to the topic at hand if you want to prevent from getting warned

!!

this post was dead right after I destroyed Riruka. Anyway we are just having a friendly conversation within a thread :3

Trading with scammers is bad because it turns you into a the online equivalent of a fence.  A fence is someone who basically buys illegal goods from criminals at low prices, usually with the intention of flipping them for profit.  Without a fence, the criminals have nowhere to sell their shit because no sane respectable person will buy it.

I gave him +rep because I didn't know trading with a scammer was a bad thing and he overpayed a lot

>I didn't know trading with a scammer was a bad thing

u wot

>I gave him +rep

you repped a scammer

>he overpayed a lot

Why do you think he overpayed by so much?  How do you think he could afford to overpay?  Because he's a nice person?  Do you think those extra 10 keys came from helping old ladies across the street?

I think you're just playing dumb.  I honestly don't believe you're that dense.

IMO, you should have a caution tag put on you.

And how come that drops the value of the unusuals way down? I'm not a scammer so why would it affect the price?

Because it means the hat could have been scammed, which also means the possibility of it being duped at a later date if and when support grants it back to the victim.  Aside from that, it's less desirable because less people are going to want something that used to belong to a scammer in the first place.  It's basically been dirtied by their hands.  Fuck that.  Would you want to buy a pair of pants that used to belong to a rapist?  I sure wouldn't.  I don't care if the current owner is clean or not.

IMO, you should have a caution tag put on you.

I certainly agree, everyone knows that trading with a scammer is against the rules to a certain extent.

Did you know it was against Outpost rules to trade with a scammer?

Did you know he was a scammer when you traded with him?

Why did you avoid all the signs that pointed to him being a scammer?

Obviously if you lack the intelligence to realise trading with an SR marked account is bad then you deserve the ban. If you unknowingly are, in the future, in possesion of dirty goods remember that nobody on trade servers cares about item histories.

Just a typical shitty way to deal with things in the TF2 universe.

Instead of Valve preventing fraud and scamming, the community is enforcing made up rules in order to "prevent scammers from profiting".

Same like 2 years ago, when instead of banning Pinion, Valve rather chose to take all quickplay traffic away from community servers, killing many good servers in the process...

It starts to get extremely ridiculous, when you suddenly get in trouble for trading with a user that has "pending reports" on steamrep because 1. those don't even show up on backpack.tf... and 2. wasn't there some saying about people being innocent until proven guilty?

i don't care if I'm banned (I actually do a lot but that's not my point) , if i did something against the rules then I deserve it. I just wanted to know what I did.

A better analogy:

You're a mafia boss who pays other people to commit crimes for you, even though you didnt commit the crimes yourself you're the one who is giving incentive for others to continue committing crimes. i.e. be thrown in jail

You buying scammed items is the same thing, they scam/steal from others and you're the one giving them incentive to continue scamming others.

Archived