Why is it bad to trade with a scammer?

L3mAn

Can someone please explain this to me? I traded with a marked scammer because he offered on my unusual in big overpay. The unusuals were clean and everything was fine. I put up a trade on Outpost for the unusuals I got and someone said "You bought this 3 gen unusual from scammer. My offer is gifted pyro's Boron Beanie + 5 keys pure". I declined it because I don't accept dirty items and then carried on my own way. I go to school today, come back and see that I have a 2 week ban on Outpost for trading with a scammer. It states "Knowing whom you trade with is your responsibility at all times. This is the only warning you will get from Outpost." 

My OP: http://www.tf2outpost.com/user/409801

Scammer I traded with: http://www.tf2outpost.com/user/884969

My Trade: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/25744369

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What jake said, its blatantly giving the scammer motivation to do bad deeds to hurt other users. Also its helping the scammer profit which leads him into making more deals. To put in an example its like when the group ISIS takes hostage of a person and asks for $1,000,000 to give them to safety, but there is an option to let the person die or give them money for more supplies which can cause more people to get hurt.

Because you're helping the scammer profit, which could potentially lead to even more scamming

but he overpayed around 10 keys so wouldn't he be losing profit? Sorry if it's a dumb question I just don't understand. And how come that drops the value of the unusuals way down? I'm not a scammer so why would it affect the price?

What jake said, its blatantly giving the scammer motivation to do bad deeds to hurt other users. Also its helping the scammer profit which leads him into making more deals. To put in an example its like when the group ISIS takes hostage of a person and asks for $1,000,000 to give them to safety, but there is an option to let the person die or give them money for more supplies which can cause more people to get hurt.

Why would you relate ISIS, which is an actual problem, to an online game lol

Why would you relate ISIS, which is an actual problem, to an online game lol

and online scamming isnt? It can also lead to people paypal scamming which is an actual currency. Its just to put into perspective of how it can benefit bad deeds

but he overpayed around 10 keys so wouldn't he be losing profit? Sorry if it's a dumb question I just don't understand. And how come that drops the value of the unusuals way down? I'm not a scammer so why would it affect the price?

Most of the time the scammers are interested in a particular item, e.x they know that your item will sell to another person who is willing to pay more. as far to your second point, It doesn't affect the price. But, similar to duped low tiers, people will point it out as a simple excuse to lowball you on your item.

Doesn't matter what he paid, chances are he didn't pay anything for those items he gave you. Scammer = THIEF.

and online scamming isnt? It can also lead to people paypal scamming which is an actual currency. Its just to put into perspective of how it can benefit bad deeds

Right, but by trading with the scammer you haven't done anything wrong. You weren't the one who commited the scam, you were only buying an item off someone who did scam which is bad but i wouldn't consider it at all as bad as what isis does >.>

Most of the time the scammers are interested in a particular item, e.x they know that your item will sell to another person who is willing to pay more. as far to your second point, It doesn't affect the price. But, similar to duped low tiers, people will point it out as a simple excuse to lowball you on your item.

ok, thanks for the help

btw, l3man you really should have kept quiet about this, filthy scrubs like rafiozol will probably report you and considering you gave the evidence completely away you probably won't even be able to appeal :L

you actually gave him +rep when he has 18 negative ratings from users.

mfMe09t.png

read this guide before trading high tier items next time - http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/29027-guide-for-background-checks/

also i'm the one who reported you :^)

I gave him +rep because I didn't know trading with a scammer was a bad thing and he overpayed a lot, but yea i guess I should have read the guide. I don't blame you for reporting me if I did something against the rules. thanks for the info and help.

btw, l3man you really should have kept quiet about this, filthy scrubs like rafiozol will probably report you and considering you gave the evidence completely away you probably won't even be able to appeal :L

i don't care if I'm banned (I actually do a lot but that's not my point) , if i did something against the rules then I deserve it. I just wanted to know what I did.

He isnt perma-banned so its not that big of a deal unless he trades with another scammer. And also users doing the right thing to report things that are against the rules does not make them scrubs

i don't care if I'm banned (I actually do a lot but that's not my point) , if i did something against the rules then I deserve it. I just wanted to know what I did.

Right, but like you can be banned permanetly for this... (idk why its so bad tbh :L) so just be aware 

filthy scrubs like rafiozol will probably report you and considering you gave the evidence completely away you probably won't even be able to appeal :L

You seriously need to shut up. Rafio is a huge help to this community, Lot more help than you are i'd say. Without him we'd have hundreds of unbanned scammers roaming the trading realm. Oh... What's that? You got banned by Rafio? No wonder you are so salty. Grow up please. Rafios not the bad guy, You are. Your actions are your OWN fault, so don't pin it on him. You need to take responsibility for your actions, learn and get better from your mistake. I know this as i'm also banned from outpost.

You seriously need to shut up. Rafio is a huge help to this community, Lot more help than you are i'd say. Without him we'd have hundreds of unbanned scammers roaming the trading realm. Oh... What's that? You got banned by Rafio? No wonder you are so salty. Grow up please. Rafios not the bad guy, You are the one who made the mistake and got YOURSELF banned. I know this as i'm also banned from outpost.

Rafio didnt actually report Pinkie, I have always had a grudge against Riruka/PinkiePie since I first met him/her. I was the one who sent the report and I myself am banned off outpost as well

You seriously need to shut up. Rafio is a huge help to this community, Lot more help than you are i'd say. Without him we'd have hundreds of unbanned scammers roaming the trading realm. Oh... What's that? You got banned by Rafio? No wonder you are so salty. Grow up please.

By unbanned scammers, do you mean people who accidently traded with scammers xD

You seriously need to shut up. Rafio is a huge help to this community, Lot more help than you are i'd say. Without him we'd have hundreds of unbanned scammers roaming the trading realm. Oh... What's that? You got banned by Rafio? No wonder you are so salty. Grow up please. Rafios not the bad guy, You are the one who made the mistake and got YOURSELF banned. I know this as i'm also banned from outpost.

maybe he does need to grow up, but your response isnt exactly an example of maturity on your part

you shouldnt start off with telling him to shut up, that is in no way helpful to anyone's case 

By unbanned scammers, do you mean people who accidently traded with scammers xD

Same thing. I consider people who trade with scammers as scammers even if it was unknowingly if they've been given multiple warnings.

Same thing. I consider people who trade with scammers as scammers even if it was unknowingly if they've been given multiple warnings.

That's pretty terrible then to be honest, the person who bought the item off the scammer essentially didn't do anything wrong... he didn't steal the item at all, and by not buying the item its not like the person who was scammed is more likely to get the item back -.-

(insert flame war comment here)

i suggest someone close this thing fast.

Anyways, if you can't bother to be careful who you are trading with, what sympathy should you get?

At the point of trading higher tier items, you should already know to look out for scammers.

Archived