Steamrep AMA

Professional Map Painter

It means they think they matter lmao

Salty Geel hits a home run again!

Anyway, I'm sorry I missed this. Would've bombarded them with questions about how their system is so flawed in comparison to FoG.

Its only real purpose is to protect dumb kiddies from scammers. Valve trade bans are able to stop fences/hijackers.

Lel like the idiots pay attention anyway. I can't count the number of "Ive ben scammed plz help" threads.

So what happens if it goes down though? What are we going to turn to? Or are we just going to kinda wing it?

Lel like the idiots pay attention anyway. I can't count the number of "Ive ben scammed plz help" threads.

So what happens if it goes down though? What are we going to turn to? Or are we just going to kinda wing it?

Check various communities. It's already more reliable. 

They are only still around due to them partnering to outpost and a few other servers. In CSGO trading no one gives a fuck about steamrep, and SR knows they need to get influence in that market otherwise they wont be around much longer

CS would never, ever use SR.

CS Scamming is out of control, they could never take on 500k people, when they can't even take on 70k TF2 players.

^this

It's because the mindset of most cs:go players are different, if you get scammed/phished it's your bloody fault for being an idiot and people laugh at you because of this most players learn responsibility and quickly catch on to scams. If you get sharked you're an idiot because prices are literally infront of you.

Tbh if SR tried to go to cs:go i highly doubt users would give a shit, their claim that people report cs:go traders means nothing and most likely are tf2 players who trade in both economies. A SR mark in cs:go means nothing, you can still trade perfectly fine and like 90% the time you are in valve servers anyways.

It's because the mindset of most cs:go players are different, if you get scammed/phished it's your bloody fault for being an idiot and people laugh at you because of this most players learn responsibility and quickly catch on to scams. If you get sharked you're an idiot because prices are literally infront of you.

I've always, always wished this would be the standard for the TF2 economy. It would make things so much easier. "I got scammed!" "Don't fall for it again!" "Good idea!"

^this

Its only real purpose is to protect dumb kiddies from scammers. Valve trade bans are able to stop fences/hijackers.

^ So much this.  

I've never been scammed or sharked.  I don't say this because I think it's some sort of accomplishment.  When I had zero unusual trading experience and I unboxed an unusual, the first thing I did was sign up to BP.tf and asked for a price check.  When my backpack got big enough to be the target of scammers, I did a thorough search into the different scamming methods.  I protected myself against sharks and scammers, SR had nothing to do with it and couldn't have done anything to help, even if they tried.  It comes down to personal responsibility.  I do understand that sometimes a new scam comes around or a person gets legitimately fucked over, like in Pink Taco's or Mattie's case, but I have zero sympathy for anyone who falls for the trusted friend scam, clicks steancomuniety.ru link or gets caught by any of the other well known techniques.  If you're not competent enough to do a simple google search before proceeding, you're beyond hope in my eyes.  

There's also the fact that while SR claims to "protect the kids", they don't actually do jack shit.  Can SR restore items?  Nope, only Valve can do that.  So great, you marked the guy who scammed my entire backpack and then dumped it on SCM and bought keys with the funds.  How does that help me?  It doesn't get me my items back.  The scammer is just going to create 100 (unmarked) alts and continue scamming.  

Let Valve handle the scammers and phishers and restoring items, and let the individual community's handle their bans and how they want handle trading with community banned accounts.  

EDIT: and to anyone who still believes that SR keeps the community clean, how many level 0 accounts did you block last week?  10?  20?  50?  200?  Yea....this whole SR keeping the community clean thing seems to be working out great :/

^ So much this.  

I've never been scammed or sharked.  I don't say this because I think it's some sort of accomplishment.  When I had zero unusual trading experience and I unboxed an unusual, the first thing I did was sign up to BP.tf and asked for a price check.  When my backpack got big enough to be the target of scammers, I did a thorough search into the different scamming methods.  I protected myself against sharks and scammers, SR had nothing to do with it and couldn't have done anything to help, even if they tried.  It comes down to personal responsibility.  I do understand that sometimes a new scam comes around or a person gets legitimately fucked over, like in Pink Taco's or Mattie's case, but I have zero sympathy for anyone who falls for the trusted friend scam, clicks steancomuniety.ru link or gets caught by any of the other well known techniques.  If you're not competent enough to do a simple google search before proceeding, you're beyond hope in my eyes.  

There's also the fact that while SR claims to "protect the kids", they don't actually do jack shit.  Can SR restore items?  Nope, only Valve can do that.  So great, you marked the guy who scammed my entire backpack and then dumped it on SCM and bought keys with the funds.  How does that help me?  It doesn't get me my items back.  The scammer is just going to create 100 (unmarked) alts and continue scamming.  

Let Valve handle the scammers and phishers and restoring items, and let the individual community's handle their bans and how they want handle trading with community banned accounts.  

EDIT: and to anyone who still believes that SR keeps the community clean, how many level 0 accounts did you block last week?  10?  20?  50?  200?  Yea....this whole SR keeping the community clean seems to be working out great :/

Personal responsibility seems to be a concept missing from the world's view as of late... 

Oh, and try 350 phishers in the last few days :3 

snip city

Personally the only use for steamrep is to mark cash scammers. Which is already being done by other communities .

Personally the only use for steamrep is to mark cash scammers. Which is already being done by other communities .

Archived