1. 1. Zimmerman vs Martin

• Guilty of Manslaughter
    • Guilty of 2nd Degree Murder
    • Not-Guilty
    • I don't care.

Thoughts on the trial?

Thoughts on the protests?

Thoughts on media bias. 

I believe that if you cannot definitively prove the killing was done with ill intent/criminally, it'll never pass in a court. Prosecution did a poor job in that aspect. Pushed so hard for the 2nd degree murder instead of focusing on the Stand Your Ground claim and if Zimmerman was in actual danger. 

Personally I think that this case was solely based on race. White-looking man shoots black teenager. Media is all over it, calling it a "racist" crime. But how about the crimes committed against light skin colored people by black individuals after the verdict? Why isn't the media covering those "racist" crimes? What about the fact that there are numerous other murders of black people but national media doesn't cover those, why?

Why is the "Ho Lee Fuk" or "Sum Ting Wong" incident not getting more media coverage since that is actually blatantly racial?

Its interesting that Martin's attorney compared this killing to Emmett Till's lynching and murder.

Personally I think that this case was solely based on race. White-looking man shoots black teenager. Media is all over it, calling it a "racist" crime. But how about the crimes committed against light skin colored people by black individuals after the verdict? Why isn't the media covering those "racist" crimes? What about the fact that there are numerous other murders of black people but national media doesn't cover those, why?

Why is the "Ho Lee Fuk" or "Sum Ting Wong" not incident getting more media coverage since that is actually blatantly racial?

Its interesting that Martin's attorney compared this killing to Emmett Till's lynching and murder.

The media loves being racist. Note Obama, the first black president.

How many times has he been referred to as being black? Well, he's just as white as he is black, so why is he always referred to as black.

Plus i love how its a "white" hate crime....hes Hispanic. Its a white hate crime when a white person kills a Hispanic. Its a white hate crime when a white person kills a black person. And its just a murder when a black/Hispanic person kill a white person.

We live in a truly fucked up world.

The media loves being racist. Note Obama, the first black president.

How many times has he been referred to as being black? Well, he's just as white as he is black, so why is he always referred to as black.

We live in a truly fucked up world.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Note Obama, the first black president.

The dude has brown skin.  It isn't a matter of his lineage.

As for the Zimmerman trial: I wasn't a part of the jury or in the courthouse.  I haven't seen the evidence and I don't know the intricacies of the law.  Because of this, I don't have a right to be angry. 

Why is the "Ho Lee Fuk" or "Sum Ting Wong" incident not getting more media coverage since that is actually blatantly racial?

The media doesn't have the time or budget to cover sensationalize every court case, and Asian racial politics don't sell as well as black racial politics.

Ya.... i wouldn't exactly call obama black.

You called Zimmerman hispanic when his father is white.

Reminds me of Family Guy

Might be Italian or some kind of Spanish.

Also, way to stay neutral Jy...can't you at least say something in favor of one or the other? lol

Also, way to stay neutral Jy...can't you at least say something in favor of one or the other? lol

I'm staying neutral on the trial for the reasons I listed.  The protests/backlash is to be expected.  Any "revenge" violence towards innocent people that had nothing to do with the trial is obviously inexcusable.  The media bias is also to be expected, since they are more entertainment channels than news sources (it's what the people want).

My view on the whole thing is this:

racism (and other discrimination) is alive and well across the entire nation.  The outcome of this trial was not going to determine that.  the outcome should be looked at as the views of the judge and jury, not the views of the country.

I'm glad the Ho Lee Fuk gag isn't getting any more news, considering it was likely a prank by an intern.

Selfish truth is that none of it affects my life and so I haven't given it much thought.

two random people

one guy shot

one guy being swarmed by haters and shit

Well, I feel kinda sorry for them both, but that's about it.

The only thing I learned is that you can cause your own self defense. 

Other than that, the prosecution should of pushed more with manslaughter rather than second degree murder, considering second degree was a lost cause. Manslaughter would have been more reasonable. 

I'm staying neutral on the trial for the reasons I listed.  The protests/backlash is to be expected.  Any "revenge" violence towards innocent people that had nothing to do with the trial is obviously inexcusable.  The media bias is also to be expected, since they are more entertainment channels than news sources (it's what the people want).

My view on the whole thing is this:

racism (and other discrimination) is alive and well across the entire nation.  The outcome of this trial was not going to determine that.  the outcome should be looked at as the views of the judge and jury, not the views of the country.

I'm glad the Ho Lee Fuk gag isn't getting any more news, considering it was likely a prank by an intern.

Selfish truth is that none of it affects my life and so I haven't given it much thought.

Thats more like it!

Racism never died, however I do think the amount of racists in a race has shifted quite a bit though.

Black History month?

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People?

Black Entertainment Television?

Black-Only dating sites?

I am willing to bet that if the Caucasian community decided to build a White History month, NAACP and Al Sharpton would be all over it with a swarm lawyers citing Brown v Board of Education.

I do think the amount of racists in a race has shifted quite a bit though.

I'm willing to bet there was a lot more black people hating white people when their oppression was more severe.

Black History month?

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People?

Black Entertainment Television?

Black-Only dating sites?

I am willing to bet that if the Caucasian community decided to build a White History month, NAACP and Al Sharpton would be all over it with a swarm lawyers citing Brown v Board of Education.

You are correct.  In fact, many black people agree with you.  e.g. Morgan Freeman on Black History Month.

Though, honestly, the fact that this is even a minor issue suggests that white people, as a race, don't have all that much to worry about.

Zimmerman couldn't be found guilty of something because you can't prove he didn't fear for his life in that moment although he should not have been in that moment which is why manslaughter was possible.  I would not have been even if I felt the need to be in a neighborhood watch.  Martin should not have reacted to Zimmerman's presence the way he apparently did.  I would not have.  Both men approached the situation from a negative point of view.  Zimmerman believed the man he was concerned about was a thief and Trayvon believed Zimmerman was stalking him and meant him harm. 

I understand why there are protests and see it as a natural reaction if you understand the perspective it comes from.  Race was a component but not in the simple manner that has been presented.

The jury knows 100000x more about the case than any of us.  Therefore, I trust their decision.  Not Guilty. 

Personally...from what I understand, the defense had a pretty rock solid case, and the prosecution's arguments were very weak.  

I voted "Don't care", but that's only because I do not believe that the ham-fisted protests going on do not deserve any TV airtime and that we should leave this whole case be. Thus, not guilty.

I do agree that the manslaughter aspect of the case should have been taken further, and it's inevitable to complain that he didn't get convicted for that, but the entire subject has its roots within the Stand Your Ground laws that allowed him to get off scot-free in the first place, anyone making their case for that side should argue against those laws and not the case itself. The fact that homicides in Florida have drastically increased since the laws were instituted (or for whatever I heard about) just makes the case even stronger.

I'm glad that this site has a group of people willing to institute such thoughtful discussion as this, considering that on almost every other site I've been on it's been nothing but vivacious complaining.

Anyone who actually watched the trial can figure out pretty quickly that Zimmerman is innocent.  He was within the law.  The fact that the Federal Government wants to get him for a Civil Rights hate crime now is beyond ridiculous.

Actually, the way I understood it, is that 500,000 people along with Al Sharpton and NAACP are petitioning the Federal Gov't to charge him of a hate crime in civil court. The last official statement was that they were launching an investigation as to whether this could have been a hate crime. That was a couple days ago though and I stopped caring after the not-guilty verdict, so it could very well have changed since then.

As for the Zimmerman trial: I wasn't a part of the jury or in the courthouse.  I haven't seen the evidence and I don't know the intricacies of the law.  Because of this, I don't have a right to be angry. 

Then you have a right to be angry with people who flip a shit because they think it's a hate crime. They don't have any more evidence than you. They're just jumping to conclusions.

Then you have a right to be angry with people who flip a shit because they think it's a hate crime. They don't have any more evidence than you. They're just jumping to conclusions.

Wrong, it's worse than that.

Anyone who watched the court proceedings has the evidence, and understands there's an extremely high likelihood that Zimmerman is innocent.  But well, Al Sharptop and his goonies like being in denial

Archived