WTF: painted prices

Sir Aurelius

Hi, pretty much everyone I know in tf2 values painted items like this: Price of the Item + 1/2 the price of the paint - 1 to 40% if unpopular paint . I have sold and bought many painted items priced using this or a similar system. So... why is it that backpack.tf uses this system (with + 85% instead of + 50% of the paint) but caps the overall price at double the price of the unpainted item? A TS desert marauder (1.33 hat, 1.2-1.4 key paint) is valued at 2.66, and so are black spooky shoes (1.33 item + 2.2-2.4 key paint) along with all other normal hats which are painted expensive colors. White, black and team colored paints are among the most popular and expensive paints in the game, and still they don't make much difference when backpack.tf values the item. People do not sell TS desert marauders 2.66, that would be ridiculous. On outpost (land of the lowballers) there are offers on TS desert marauders ranging form 3.00-5.33. I trade on outpost and bazaar, but mostly on trade servers. The people I sell to almost always use the painted pricing method I have explained above. The people who don't use the method do so because they blindly follow backpack.tf or are new(bs). I like backpack.tf. If it didn't exist, I wouldn't have most of my tf2 stuff right now. This is the only problem I have found with it in the year I have been using it. Still, it's a pretty big problem.

Low tier painted hats are valued too high. I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to sell my uncraftable Rustic Tyrant's for 1 ref, while it is valued at 1.22 ref.

High tier painted hats are valued too low. I sold my uncraftable black Brigade Helm for 5 ref, while it is valued at 2 ref on bp.tf.

Some painted hats look much more cooler than other painted hats, therefore the price can be higher, and still valued at the same price on bp.tf. (example: painted Sir Hootsalot is not special at all.)

Low tier painted hats are valued too high. I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to sell my uncraftable Rustic Tyrant's for 1 ref, while it is valued at 1.22 ref.

High tier painted hats are valued too low. I sold my uncraftable black Brigade Helm for 5 ref, while it is valued at 2 ref on bp.tf.

Some painted hats look much more cooler than other painted hats, therefore the price can be higher, and still valued at the same price on bp.tf. (example: painted Sir Hootsalot is not special at all.)

high tier paints follow the same logic as lower tier paints. the only flaw you seem to have trouble with is that a hat on bp.tf can only be worth 100% more than the listed value, i.e: craft hat worth 1.33, black paint will make it 2.66, but so will most paints do. hat worth 1½ key will be worth 3 keys with white and black paint, but only 80% of its value (or something like that) on any other paint, so after eight would be 2½ in this

high tier paints follow the same logic as lower tier paints. the only flaw you seem to have trouble with is that a hat on bp.tf can only be worth 100% more than the listed value, i.e: craft hat worth 1.33, black paint will make it 2.66, but so will most paints do. hat worth 1½ key will be worth 3 keys with white and black paint, but only 80% of its value (or something like that) on any other paint, so after eight would be 2½ in this

85%. 

the paint algorithm: 85% of paint value with a maximum value of twice the hat. (Yes, its quite flawed). 

Archived