What Over-Ear Heaphones should i get?

AwesomeMcCoolName

Audio Technica ATH-M50 ($160)

Logitech UE6000 ($170)

M-Audio Studiophiles Q40 ($130)

Sony MDR-7506 ($80)

(Bolded are Top Choices)

Listen to all types of music, mainly rock though. 

Key points:

• Budget: $200 (preferably around $150)
  • Portable
  • Solid performance across the board, but especially in the lows. 
  • Closed. 
  • Over-Ear.
  • Main purpose: Music (pretty much everything--Mainly Rock, a little Rap, Acoustic, Hip Hop)
  • Headband
  • Comfortable to wear for long stretches (up to 20 hours)

If theres another pair that i should look into, do say. 

if you use a mobile to listen on, then i could recommend urbanears zinken. amazing sound, and with the right profile, metal and rock sounds better than it does on my computer.

but the downside is that some people (like me) can feel them unconfortable over long times. when i worked all in my staff had a pair of it. i was the only one who felt that they hurt my ears after 4 hours of constant use.

why if you use a mobile? it has great audio for calls and have a built in mic that has great audio

I think audio technica M50 would be the way to go, i had a pair that laste me a few years!

Thats what i was thinking, but i've heard some good things about the others as well, which makes me question that a little. 

The UE6000s supposedly have slightly less recessed mids, and have superior clarity (although there not as "tough" as the M50s).

The Q40s again supposedly have superior clarity to the M50s, but can also be quite uncomfortable due to a higher clamping pressure and thinner pads. 

As for MDR7506s i've yet to hear the same thing twice...Some say there clearer then the M50s. some say the lows are stronger, while others say they're weaker. 

I'm pretty sure there all good choices, and ultimately pretty close to one another, it just comes down to personal preference, which is a bit of a problem, since there aren't many places near by where i could try them out. 

I've had a pair of Sennheiser headphones for a while now. Sound quality is decent, and hasn't broken yet, though they can be uncomfortable to wear for a long time (that may be mostly due to me wearing glasses and my ear type, though). I may be biased because I got them on sale, however.

M50s are nice. Only gripes I have with mine is the wire comes out the left earpiece (all my equipment is on my right side), they aren't the most comfortable to wear for long sessions (no where near bad enough to warrant a pass), and they are extremely uncomfortable to wear around your neck (they dig into my collar bone unless I rig them just right).

I heard good things about the ATH-AD700 and other headphones in the AD series by Audio Technica. But since the sides are open they lack the thump people want with the bass, easy for dirt to get inside it, and you still hear outside noises/everyone hears what you're listening to. Plus side to it is it can be worn for extended sessions as its lighter and the open sides allow for your ears to keep cool. Its the better headphone to buy if you don't plan on using them outside and for gaming.

If i wanted overpriced crap i'd go out and buy a burning team captain. 

meh, the wireless ones are really nice

Take the top 2 choices and flip a coin - if you are even SLIGHTLY disappointed with the result choose the other

meh, the wireless ones are really nice

Not really, Beats are all way overpriced designer headphones, which completely lack decent sound quality. Instead they opted to get drivers which can push out a lot of bass, and hope you don't notice that the mids and highs are non-existant.

Take the top 2 choices and flip a coin - if you are even SLIGHTLY disappointed with the result choose the other

the thought had crossed my mind, but i'm going to end up getting them from Amazon most likely, which can be a pain to deal with for returns. 

Never buy beats, if you want over priced crap for the sounds they produce i can buy a better sounding one for around 70$ :l

M50 are generally the safe option, pretty cheap for the sound they produce (would normally expect to pay a extra hundred or so for that sound quality) and the built quality is awesome as well.

Buy if you are looking for something like beats headphones i would suggest you take a look at the Sol Republic Track HD. They produce very decent sound for the price and unlike beats the bass isnt overpowering what it kills off the mids also they arn't very expensive and look pretty good. They are on-ear tho so im not sure if you are dead set on over-ear but i would definitely recommend you take a look at them  :)

The normal tracks are crap and the premium one is way to flat. To tell the difference, the normal ones are black (plastic), the Hd ones are silver (metal). You cannot compare the sound quality of the Tracks to the tracks HD, Hd wins all the wayyyy

I be da audiophile  :)

Never buy beats, if you want over priced crap for the sounds they produce i can buy a better sounding one for around 70$ :l

M50 are generally the safe option, pretty cheap for the sound they produce (would normally expect to pay a extra hundred or so for that sound quality) and the built quality is awesome as well.

Buy if you are looking for something like beats headphones i would suggest you take a look at the Sol Republic Track HD. They produce very decent sound for the price and unlike beats the bass isnt overpowering what it kills off the mids also they arn't very expensive and look pretty good. They are on-ear tho so im not sure if you are dead set on over-ear but i would definitely recommend you take a look at them  :)

The normal tracks are crap and the premium one is way to flat. To tell the difference, the normal ones are black (plastic), the Hd ones are silver (metal). You cannot compare the sound quality of the Tracks to the tracks HD, Hd wins all the wayyyy

I be da audiophile  :)

Over-Ear is a pretty big thing. Have you experienced any of the others? or just like the M50s? 

Grado makes some amazing headphones. Here is the one I bought from a friend.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-SR-225i-Prestige-Headphones/dp/B0006GCCN6/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373038424&sr=1-4

They are simply brilliant headphones. Extremely comfortable, and the sound works for any genre of music. Very pure headphones in terms of sound.

My friend has the M50s, and they are also extremely good.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373038152&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+technica+ath-m50

I used them for a while, and they are incredible. I may be biased, but I found my Grado's to be slightly better; however, M50s are still a great bang for your buck.

I have no experience with other Headphone companies, but Grado's and Audio Technica's are both putting amazing headphones out there currently.

Never buy Beats, though. Please, do not buy them.

Over-Ear is a pretty big thing. Have you experienced any of the others? or just like the M50s? 

Ahhh xD

I have a pair of M50s , sol republic and 2 Sennheisers which were given to me ahaha, from personal experience the M50s would be a solid all-rounder but sometimes i do find them bulky :l 

i havent heard of the Ue 6000 before so i cant really comment but I checked up a few reviews on the 6000 and its seems to be a solid choice as well so it's probably down to personal preference in the design...etc

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630850/k550s-ue-6000s-or-ath-m50s

This might help you :)

Ahhh xD

I have a pair of M50s , sol republic and 2 Sennheisers which were given to me ahaha, from personal experience the M50s would be a solid all-rounder but sometimes i do find them bulky :l 

i havent heard of the Ue 6000 before so i cant really comment but I checked up a few reviews on the 6000 and its seems to be a solid choice as well so it's probably down to personal preference in the design...etc

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630850/k550s-ue-6000s-or-ath-m50s

This might help you :)

Saw that already. 

If i end up getting the M50s im considering getting them from Here, since its $40 less than Amazon. 

Any idea if there legit/what the return policy is? 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544653-REG/Denon_DN_HP700_DN_HP700_Professional_DJ_Headphones.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/398348-REG/Denon_DJ_DN_HP1000_DN_HP1000_Circumaural_Dynamic.html

Here are some overlooked and underrated phones. They are very wallet friendly but the build quality and sound quality are worth 2x their price.

They are DJ phones so certain ranges might be emphasized (dont quote me on this, I never noticed it and half of the comments say it works/doesn't work as studio phones). I used them for school. Wore them 4-5 hours a day for 2+ years and they still work.

Think im gonna go with the UE6000s, anyone know of a good place to get 'em (aside from Amazon @$170).

Think im gonna go with the UE6000s, anyone know of a good place to get 'em (aside from Amazon @$170).

shit man just keep your money seriously... buy some $2 ones or something imagine all the chocolate you could get with $170...

• 2 months later...

just to add my bit. I'm a music producer and for a cheap yet high quality set of over ear headphones you can't beat Numark HF125's they only cost around £7 here in UK and they sound good, great bass response, good for gaming, ipods, djing. Not exactly flat response studio kit, but for that price they can't be beaten.

www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1378922954&sr=1-2 I have these and they are amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1378922954&sr=1-2 I have these and they are amazing.

Eh, I think he mentioned that he was considering buying the ATH-M50s, which are a direct upgrade from those.

Archived