Internet Piracy Thread

The Radiated Banana

Answer honestly please, votes are private  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever pirated before?

• Yes, and I still do it
    • Yes, but i have stopped doing it
    • No, I have never pirated
  2. 2. Why do you pirate?(Select more than one of applicable)

• I already own the book/movie/show in another format
    • I live in a different country so the digital copies take longer to get here
    • Everyone else is doing it
    • I don't have access to pay for it
    • It is too expensive to buy the real copy
    • I don't like how the product distributed
    • The Author/Artist already has enough money
    • I am only hurting big businesses
    • I don't pirate
  3. 3. Are you familiar with the consequences of piracy?

• Yes, and I think the punishments are not harsh enough
    • Yes, and I think the punishments are too harsh
    • Yes, and I think the punishments are just right
    • No, I am unfamiliar

You win

I can't keep coming back to this

Use whatever definition you want, I'm out

Every argument with Bread ever.

He doesn't actually win based on any sort of superior moral or intellectual standing, people just get bored of it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every argument with Bread ever.

He doesn't actually win based on any sort of superior moral or intellectual standing, people just get bored of it.

Yeah like I'm the only one who wanted to know how he was getting to the conclusion that making profit was necessarily unethical and I'm the only one who wanted him to explain it.  And it's not like he repeatedly dodged the issue when confronted on it or anything.

The only reason you jumped in to attack me like that is because you've obviously got some kind of personal issue with me.  That's your problem, and you should keep it to yourself, at least here.  That's not what this sub-forum is for.

But don't you find it unethical? I do. :/

Also, what about the risk of viruses

It takes skill to get a virus. 

As for unethical....well, I (well...parents) pay like $50/month for cable + DVR. So, I'm already paying for the content...Pirating is just a convenient way to get it onto an hdd. So, rather than recording everything on a DVR (or Ripping DVDs) it's much easier to just download the content directly.

As for it being hurtful to the companies....I honestly question that. Most people who pirate would never have bought the content anyway; and by pirating something you're advertising for it; so if it was good you'll tell your friends they should see/play it. 

/I'm not reading through this whole thread...sooo 

It takes skill to get a virus. 

As for unethical....well, I (well...parents) pay like $50/month for cable + DVR. So, I'm already paying for the content...Pirating is just a convenient way to get it onto an hdd. So, rather than recording everything on a DVR (or Ripping DVDs) it's much easier to just download the content directly.

As for it being hurtful to the companies....I honestly question that. Most people who pirate would never have bought the content anyway; and by pirating something you're advertising for it; so if it was good you'll tell your friends they should see/play it. 

/I'm not reading through this whole thread...sooo 

About the DVR thing... didn't modern piracy start off with people making bootleg music tapes and vhs tapes and then selling them, thus directly hurting the sales of music/movie companies?  And then later when it became common to share software, wasn't it just all about sharing and not about illegal sales, especially when the internet came about?  So the laws that we have would still be largely holdovers from the era of cassette tapes and vhs tapes, right?  I'm not too sure about this but it sounds plausible.  I'm no legal expert or anything.

Are there separate legal definitions for this stuff?  I think it's an important distinction to be making between sharing and unauthorized sales.

Of course piracy is harmful to companies.

Say we have one company selling product A at $1000. Say we have another company selling product B at $100. Product B is more suited to casual users as it doesn't contain many of the features that product A does. The main reason people do not buy product A is its pricing. A user who might buy product B will instead pirate product A because it is a better product. This is clearly hurting product B.**

Of course piracy is harmful to companies.

Say we have one company selling product A at $1000. Say we have another company selling product B at $100. Product B is more suited to casual users as it doesn't contain many of the features that product A does. The main reason people do not buy product A is its pricing. A user who might buy product B will instead pirate product A because it is a better product. This is clearly hurting product A.

In your example, it would be hurting product B, since they chose to pirate A rather than buying B. 

However, most people who pirate something have no intention to buy that something. 

In your example, it would be hurting product B, since they chose to pirate A rather than buying B. 

However, most people who pirate something have no intention to buy that something. 

My bad, but product B is still being harmed. One of the biggest advantages of product B is its cost, and this is being ignored through piracy. 

My bad, but product B is still being harmed. One of the biggest advantages of product B is its cost, and this is being ignored through piracy. 

Still, something to realize/think about..... 

In high school, there were 150~ kids in my grade, of which only about 10 actually pirated software/shows/movies/games. 

Now, how many shows/movies/games have you started watching because of a recommendation, and how many recommendations for a show/movie/game have you given? 

The amount of recommendations someone, who pirates, will give is worth more than the amount of sales lost to pirates -- My one sale vs. the ten sales of the people who listen to my recommendation. 

Still, something to realize/think about..... 

In high school, there were 150~ kids in my grade, of which only about 10 actually pirated software/shows/movies/games. 

Now, how many shows/movies/games have you started watching because of a recommendation, and how many recommendations for a show/movie/game have you given? 

The amount of recommendations someone, who pirates, will give is worth more than the amount of sales lost to pirates -- My one sale vs. the ten sales of the people who listen to my recommendation. 

But product B isn't getting the recognition it deserves. No pirates are recommending it because none of them pirated it. Why would you download inferior software at the same price?

But product B isn't getting the recognition it deserves. No pirates are recommending it because none of them pirated it. Why would you download inferior software at the same price?

Think in terms of windows....Lets assume for a minute that windows 10 has three versions -- premium, professional, and ultimate. If someone I know torrents ultimate, and then recommends its then I'd consider buying premium, not ultimate. 

If A and B are really that similar just A is a more "full" version, then more than likely the person will recommend A to someone who needs to extra features, and B to everyone else. 

Think in terms of windows....Lets assume for a minute that windows 10 has three versions -- premium, professional, and ultimate. If someone I know torrents ultimate, and then recommends its then I'd consider buying premium, not ultimate. 

If A and B are really that similar just A is a more "full" version, then more than likely the person will recommend A to someone who needs to extra features, and B to everyone else. 

Windows example is sort of different. All 3 versions are made by the same company. Do you think that Linux based OS benefit from the piracy of Windows? One of the huge advantages of going with a Linux based OS is that most (if not all) are free. This is a pretty big advantage, but it is nullified through piracy.

Windows example is sort of different. All 3 versions are made by the same company. Do you think that Linux based OS benefit from the piracy of Windows? One of the huge advantages of going with a Linux based OS is that most (if not all) are free. This is a pretty big advantage, but it is nullified through piracy.

MacOs cough cough

Anyway, it was calculated that the average Dutch citizen pirated something like 75 movies per year. They sure as shit wouldn't have gone to all those movies, or bought them. I know of people that pirated a movie and bought it later because they liked it. I watch like 7 movies per week and then I watch a lot of series too. I wouldn't watch them on tv, wouldn't buy them or wouldn't go see them in the movie theater. It's just another audience that is being targeted by pirating.

And gaming is at an all-time high, and so is the industry. I don't recall many movie companies going bankrupt, nor of any artists going broke due to piracy. Those who blame piracy are mostly either ignorant (politicians) or people who can gain from it in court or via payments (artists/record companies)

Piracy is good for the industry, according to a few studies. Pirates on average spend more on media than other people who don't pirate. There are many reasons to pirate something. 

I however don't condone piracy for video games, but some people do it as a demo. 

MacOs cough cough

Anyway, it was calculated that the average Dutch citizen pirated something like 75 movies per year. They sure as shit wouldn't have gone to all those movies, or bought them. I know of people that pirated a movie and bought it later because they liked it. I watch like 7 movies per week and then I watch a lot of series too. I wouldn't watch them on tv, wouldn't buy them or wouldn't go see them in the movie theater. It's just another audience that is being targeted by pirating.

And gaming is at an all-time high, and so is the industry. I don't recall many movie companies going bankrupt, nor of any artists going broke due to piracy. Those who blame piracy are mostly either ignorant (politicians) or people who can gain from it in court or via payments (artists/record companies)

Yeah, I'm focusing on the piracy of software, where there is some competition in pricing.

Yeah, I'm focusing on the piracy of software, where there is some competition in pricing.

For software it is indeed a different story, and this is the only kind of pirating that is illegal here. Software piracy could really hurt companies.

That depends on the country, in Australia (The place where everyone pirates) we have proven time and time again that we are willing to pay for content but our main providers (I.e. foxtell) make us pay a extremely high premium, comes with a lot of other useless crap and we get content 2 months behind everyone else. e.g.  To watch game of thrones it's 35$ on top of your monthly subscription, we get it later than everyone else and we cant keep the files to watch later.

Foxtell buys the exclusive rights to sell certain shows through their shitty service and complains that every one pirated it pointing the finger at the consumer not realising many of us have the money and are willing to pay but if you're going to be an ass about it ill just download it.

A lot of people i know have netflix here (fake an american email+address) and foxtell has been bitching and threatening lawsuits because netflix isnt based in aussie and hence should have access to aussie. Why? because they didnt like the idea that their monopoly is crumbling to much better services.

This guy sums it up well: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/06/louis-ck-on-piracy-in-australia-the-whole-country-pirates/

Used to pirate games .. but since steam is here .. i only like pirate old games that i can no longer find in the market .. music is all pirated as they dont sell them here and i can't buy stuff online. 

Try thinking about it .. you are a game producer and you produced this game .. won't it hurt you to just see people pirating that game and not really buying it ? I would be pissed

"...music is all pirated as they don't sell them here..."

Just that's why I have pirated (is that a word?) and I still pirate music. I don't use any illegal re-distribution sites for that, though. Using the source code instead of those sites isn't as punishable...

E.g. I want to download a song that is uploaded on SoundCloud and there's no free (AKA legal) download link on the site. Next, I will google the song, and if I see the song is uploaded also on YouTube, for instance, I will go on the site and there I click the right mouse button and then click on "Show the source code of the page".

After I've scrolled down the window for a while I can see the sound file's web address.

You maybe know what I'll do next.

I really do it only because i'm a kid. Lets just say under 14. And i don't have PayPal, card or anything else, only the way of paysafecard, but then again, we are quite poor family (for a finnish family) so i don't get any money from my parents. Only reason i pirate. I would not want to, but i really have to!

I'm sorry to hear that as I'm from Finland, too. But money shouldn't be the reason to pirate.

Or, is just that your parents don't want to put their credit card serial number (or whatever it is called) on any site?

I'll pirate a game if I want to test the quality of it. If I end up liking it, I buy it. If not, no loss.

I also pirate music because it's actually a gray area in the law as long as I don't reproduce copies for sales.

I agree with that what you said about pirating music.

The politicians should fix this problem, but it's extremely hard to deal with.

Archived