Helping a computer noob increase performance

Kevin the Chicken God

coming here again for help

got a new motherboard, did everything again, but now when I start up my computer there is no signal to the VGA. I've already tried taking out the GPU and putting it back in again

Is everything wired correctly? Does the gpu power up? 

What power supply do you have by the way? 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is everything wired correctly? Does the gpu power up? 

What power supply do you have by the way?

I hear the fan turn on when I power it up, that's the only way I know of to see if its on

Can't tell what model my power supply is, it's all in Chinese and came with the pc

I hear the fan turn on when I power it up, that's the only way I know of to see if its on

Can't tell what model my power supply is, it's all in Chinese and came with the pc

On the side (hopefully the visible side) of the psu there should be a sticker, which says the wattage and/or the amperage of the +12v rail. (You can take a picture of the PSU / the computer as a whole, that might be helpful)

Are you sure its the gpu fan you hear, and not the cpu fan? /you can just look under the card and see if its spinning. 

On the side (hopefully the visible side) of the psu there should be a sticker, which says the wattage and/or the amperage of the +12v rail. (You can take a picture of the PSU / the computer as a whole, that might be helpful)

Are you sure its the gpu fan you hear, and not the cpu fan? /you can just look under the card and see if its spinning.

power supply says +5V and +3.3V, and it shall not exceed 160W

Will check on the card in a min

and it is the GPU fan spinning

this seems like a motherboard problem again, the button that turns blue when the pc is booting up is orange (which it is when it's asleep), same as it was with the last motherboard

power supply says +5V and +3.3V, and it shall not exceed 160W

Will check on the card in a min

160w..... wow, even for a 6450 thats low. 

Well okay then... a 160w might not be enough for a 750Ti; you really want 200w+. Although, it should be enough for the 750Ti and idle...so, it should be enough to boot into the bios.

The Cheapest, non-shit, PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= (or the 500w variant for like $5 more). 

160w..... wow, even for a 6450 thats low. 

Well okay then... a 160w might not be enough for a 750Ti; you really want 200w+. Although, it should be enough for the 750Ti and idle...so, it should be enough to boot into the bios.

The Cheapest, non-shit, PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= (or the 500w variant for like $5 more).

Are all power supplies roughly the same size? I don't want to get one that doesn't fit because there isn't much room left around the current one

Are all power supplies roughly the same size? I don't want to get one that doesn't fit because there isn't much room left around the current one

No, there are two main types being SFX and ATX, but you more than likely have an ATX psu--unless it's a small form factor case, which it probably isn't. 

Anyway.....picture of the power supply please :3 

160w should still be enough to boot into the bios; but if that psu isn't actually 160w (on the +12v rail) then it may not be. 

And as always, make sure everything is wired properly. 

No, there are two main types being SFX and ATX, but you more than likely have an ATX psu--unless it's a small form factor case, which it probably isn't. 

Anyway.....picture of the power supply please :3 

160w should still be enough to boot into the bios; but if that psu isn't actually 160w (on the +12v rail) then it may not be. 

And as always, make sure everything is wired properly.

I'll send a picture as soon as I can get access to a computer

Right now my issue is, after launching everything, i have to send my pc to start up repair where it doesn't find the issue. I'm not confident in my wiring but there really isn't much I can change, is there anything other than that that would cause this?

Right now my issue is, after launching everything, i have to send my pc to start up repair where it doesn't find the issue. 

Wait, what exactly is happening after you press the power button? 

What's everything?

Wait, what exactly is happening after you press the power button? 

What's everything?

Once I boot it up it takes me to the DOS screen and gives me 2 options, to start running system repair or to start windows normally (which just takes me back to that page)

Once I boot it up it takes me to the DOS screen and gives me 2 options, to start running system repair or to start windows normally (which just takes me back to that page)

Back up everything on your hard drive, and do a fresh install of windows. 

Back up everything on your hard drive, and do a fresh install of windows.

where do I go to do that?

Right now I can only get to a window that gives me the following options:

Startup Repair (already done)

System Restore (already done)

System Image Recovery

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Command Prompt

Dell Datasafe Restore and Emergency Backup

where do I go to do that?

Right now I can only get to a window that gives me the following options:

Startup Repair (already done)

System Restore (already done)

System Image Recovery

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Command Prompt

Dell Datasafe Restore and Emergency Backup

What version of windows do you have? 

Do you have have the install disc? Do you have your windows cd key? (usually on a sticker somewhere on pre-built systems). 

Do you get an OS not found message? or any other messages on screen?

It doesn't matter, when you install a new motherboard and cpu you often need to either reinstall windows or modify it to make it work. The latter can be done, but it involves some tinkering, and worst case scenario also requires you to reinstall should you do something wrong. I.e. it makes the most sense to just do a fresh install (especially if you're not very good when it comes to tech-y stuff). 

It doesn't matter, when you install a new motherboard and cpu you often need to either reinstall windows or modify it to make it work. The latter can be done, but it involves some tinkering, and worst case scenario also requires you to reinstall should you do something wrong. I.e. it makes the most sense to just do a fresh install (especially if you're not very good when it comes to tech-y stuff). 

Forgot about the whole new Motherboard part.  Was thinking it was an MBR problem or something, anyway as you were :3

What version of windows do you have? 

Do you have have the install disc? Do you have your windows cd key? (usually on a sticker somewhere on pre-built systems).

yeah I do

Okay, so make sure theres nothing important on the hard drive, and do a fresh install of windows.

is there no way to back up the hard drive onto a USB or something

is there no way to back up the hard drive onto a USB or something

You can connect the hard drive to another desktop or to any other laptop if you have a sata+sata power to USB adapter. 

when I put the disc in it doesn't do anything, it's spinning but nothing changes

Put the disc in, turn on the computer while holding f11, and then boot off of the windows disc.

I lost my windows 7 disc, but I have my windows xp disc. Is there anything else I can do to fix the issue?

Archived