Helping a computer noob increase performance

Kevin the Chicken God

I've been getting into animating in SFM recently, but my PC runs too slowly to allow me to see what my playback looks like

I have some extra dosh sitting around and, being a console peasant, have no idea how I would be able to increase my performance in SFM

I also need some help finding me complete PC specs :L

I currently get around 2 frames, I would like to bump it up to around 10-15 with spending the least amount of money possible, am not looking to rebuild my pc or anything

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been getting into animating in SFM recently, but my PC runs too slowly to allow me to see what my playback looks like

I have some extra dosh sitting around and, being a console peasant, have no idea how I would be able to increase my performance in SFM

I also need some help finding me complete PC specs :L

I currently get around 2 frames, I would like to bump it up to around 10-15 with spending the least amount of money possible, am not looking to rebuild my pc or anything

Well, for starters, how much money do you want to spend? 

For finding your specs:

I. Right click on "my computer">properties

1.Click on the "hardware" tab.

2.Click on "device manager" (more info).

the important information is: CPU/processor, GPU/video card/graphics card/video adapter, and RAM/Memory. 

More than likely you're going to need to upgrade your gpu, as such I hope you have at least $150~ USD to spend. 

Well, for starters, how much money do you want to spend? 

For finding your specs:

I. Right click on "my computer">properties

1.Click on the "hardware" tab.

2.Click on "device manager" (more info).

the important information is: CPU/processor, GPU/video card/graphics card/video adapter, and RAM/Memory. 

More than likely you're going to need to upgrade your gpu, as such I hope you have at least $150~ USD to spend. 

thanks

Processor: Pentium ® Dual-Core CPU E6700 @ 3.20GHz

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450

RAM: 6 GB

any GPU recommendations? dont really want to go above $250

thanks

I'd honestly suggest holding out until you can afford a full upgrade since the E6700 will be a HUGE bottlneck on most hardware considering its now 8 years old. If thats not an option, then something like a GTX750Ti will probably be your best bet as anything more will be severely bottlenecked, and even the 750Ti will be held back some bit.

You could get a 750Ti + Pentium G3258 (or an AMD X4 750k) + an H81 (or FM2 A55) board for about $250, and if you're limited to $250~ then that would be your best bet. The AMD route would be a better option for SFM, but for gaming the G3258 would be better in most games, and a G3258 would also give you a nice upgrade path into a Haswell/Broadwell i5/i7. 

thanks

With a dual core pentium your processor may be bottlenecking SFM more than the GPU. You may need to rework your build almost entirely.

But as far as graphics cards go, the GTX 760 or R9 280 are gonna be your best bet around your below-$250 price range.

With a dual core pentium your processor may be bottlenecking SFM more than the GPU. You may need to rework your build almost entirely.

But as far as graphics cards go, the GTX 760 or R9 280 are gonna be your best bet around your below-$250 price range.

should I even bother with a new graphics card or should I just get a new processor?

should I even bother with a new graphics card or should I just get a new processor?

both. 

Motherboard: MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($44.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($114.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $260.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 15:48 EDT-0400

both. 

Motherboard: MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($44.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($114.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $260.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 15:48 EDT-0400

a bit more than I would want to spend, would it be a good idea to buy the card before then see if I need the rest afterwards?

a bit more than I would want to spend, would it be a good idea to buy the card before then see if I need the rest afterwards?

Upgrade your cpu first, and then upgrade your gpu eventually. 

Lemme say this-this upgrade will make SFM bearable to use. And more...

Upgrade your cpu first, and then upgrade your gpu eventually. 

should I get the motherboard as well?

You will have to get a new motherboard since you are upgrading the CPU.  Pentium uses slots instead of an LGA or PGA.

You will have to get a new motherboard since you are upgrading the CPU.  Pentium uses slots instead of an LGA or PGA.

ah, thanks for the explanation

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this :S

• 2 weeks later...

before I decided to purchase, I went and asked my friends who have built some gaming pcs for advice on a good one

one pointed me towards this: http://austinnotduncan.com/builds/boson/

the other hasnt responded yet

thoughts on the first?

no. 

A 750Ti will still VASTLY outperform any integrated gpu and an r7 240 is just....junk. Not to mention a 5350 isn't even a high end APU, so by going that route you compromise both your cpu and your gpu...not a very smart move.

I don't put shit credibility in Austin's "recommended" builds, there are so many better options at the price points of all his builds, yet he doesn't seem to see/go for them...and I don't understand why. And his most recent video made things even worse....His $4000 4k build he posted recently has pretty much the exact same performance as a $2500~build in all but one or two games; you really need to be on something to think a 5960x is a good gaming cpu--most games use 4 cores at most, and prefer stronger cores to multiple weaker ones. Now the 5960x can be overclocked to similar speeds as a 4790k, but if you get a bad chip, then thats not happening--in which case a 4790k would actually be faster. 

no. 

A 750Ti will still VASTLY outperform any integrated gpu and an r7 240 is just....junk. Not to mention a 5350 isn't even a high end APU, so by going that route you compromise both your cpu and your gpu...not a very smart move. I don't put shit credibility in Austin's "recommended" builds, there are so many better options at the price points of all his builds, yet he doesn't seem to see/go for them...and I don't understand why. And his most recent video made things even worse....his $4000 4k build he posted recently has pretty much the exact same performance as a $2500~ in all but one or two games; you really need to be on something to think a 5960x is a good gaming cpu... 

alright, I'll post again once my other friend gives me his advice (he is a lot more experienced)

3/4 parts arrived, if I put in the GPU, processor, and CPU cooler then install the motherboard later will I be good or should I do it all at once?

3/4 parts arrived, if I put in the GPU, processor, and CPU cooler then install the motherboard later will I be good or should I do it all at once?

So, youre still waiting on the motherboard? 

Your cpu wont fit in your old board. You can put the gpu in your old computer though, if you wanted to. 

I plugged everything in, booted up the computer, but get an error 99 message at the bottom right corner of the screen. Help?

I plugged everything in, booted up the computer, but get an error 99 message at the bottom right corner of the screen. Help?

Are you sure everything is connected properly? (indlucing front case connectors)

Also try removing and reseating the CMOS battery. 

Otherwise, from what I can tell it usually means the board is DOA and needs to be RMA'd.

Are you sure everything is connected properly? (indlucing front case connectors)

Also try removing and reseating the CMOS battery. 

Otherwise, from what I can tell it usually means the board is DOA and needs to be RMA'd.

did all of this, guess I'll send it back

coming here again for help

got a new motherboard, did everything again, but now when I start up my computer there is no signal to the VGA. I've already tried taking out the GPU and putting it back in again

Archived