So how are we gonna research if there's a scammer/shark on SCM now?

d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

People that where banned for scm purchases must now get unbanned.

You'll still get banned if it can be proven you knowingly bought from a scammer via the SCM--that's what the rule has always been. (and I dunno if joking about unbanning those people, but I don't think there's the slightest chance of that)

For example:

1. Scammer/hijacker adds you, wants to sell hat.

2. You say "nu, yer scammer, but if you put ot on SCM I'll buy it instantly for X dollarz" <---People definitely have done that in the past, and perhaps moreso in the future because of changes to SCM.

3. Scammer puts hat on SCM, you immediately buy it, you lel @ getting around the rules

4. Profit!!!

5. Scammer screenshots the conversations and transactions, and reports you. (Why would they do that? The hell if I know, but it's possible, even if not plausible)

6. Banned + Rekt

you are free to spend your cash on SCM is volvo approved.

People that where banned for scm purchases must now get unbanned.

I enjoy those new features a lot today.the private bp for newbies should have been implement year back.as for the scm keeping our transactions private just level it up from 9 to 10++++ for me.

If memory serves me correct ive never seen someone banned off scm for buying cheap unusuals from scammers unless

1) Proof that they knowingly bought the items from a marked scammer

2) Proof that they added scammers to buy unusuals and told them to place it on scm to avoid bans

I'm trying to wrap my head around why it was in the best interest of the community to not show the person selling the item. Just encourages the e-terrorists that are going to now keep scamming and can get away with it even easier. 

So scamming virtual hats is e-terrorism? I'm not sure I'd go (anywhere near) that far, but okey...

The change to the SCM is designed to protect the seller (it is not designed to help the buyer, as far as I can see) by making it harder/impossible to get a seller's information.

Why is this a good idea? Sharking, phishing, and other types of scamming all require the scammer to add the seller, or otherwise communicate with them directly.

You really didn't and don't know where your money is going anyway (that polite person with 5+ years of clean trading rep could be the undiscovered alt of a notorius scammer, or a sex trafficker in real life, for all you know)

In summary, as I understand these changes:

Sellers have some measure of protection against sharkers/scammers/phishers (Especially inexperienced traders, who would be by far the most likely to fall for a scam)

Sellers, in exchange for this protection, will lose one perk (of debatable value): legitimate buyers can no longer add them to negotiate prices.

Buyers have less information, but who really used it for anything good anyway? Buyers now also have less responsibility; you can essentially buy from the SCM with a clear conscience.

This should reduce the number of hijacks/phishings, and thus, the number of scammed and duped items. Fewer scammed items means you're less likely to find a good deal only to realize it's a fence and you'd better not touch it or you'll get banned...And doesn't fewer duped items means everybody wins? (personally, I dunno about that one way or the other, but that seems to be the popular opinion)

Also, look at how keys and other commodity items work: you don't even get to choose who you buy it from; the SCM matches you automagically to sellers!

Maybe Steam is finally taking a (small) amount of responsibility for what happens on the SCM. Maybe....

If memory serves me correct ive never seen someone banned off scm for buying cheap unusuals from scammers unless

1) Proof that they knowingly bought the items from a marked scammer

2) Proof that they added scammers to buy unusuals and told them to place it on scm to avoid bans

If I see something cheap I will buy it hoping its not duped.

if it is I will try to quick-sell it,expecting ppl to check for scammers through the steam market is not doable when there's a chance either you buy it or someone else will.

on topic:I suggest you buy freely the item you like then check its history if it is sharked.contact the victim and ask him if he is interested to buy it back.theres nothing more you can do actually but that.

Archived