What's the Point of banning people for buying scammed items on the S.C.M?

BlueSpider

If you willingly and knowingly trade with a scammer, you should be banned. I don't see how people can contest that.
Obviously you err to the side of caution; if somebody with no previous 'convictions' buys a scammed unusual off of SCM, it's probably safe to assume they didn't know.

If someone is doing it habitually (or, in Cranwell's case, we have evidence to prove he knew), they should be banned. Encouraging scamming is not good for a community, and that's all buying scammed unusuals does.

So things that i understood after reading a few comments.

If u want to buy a hat from a scammed user that sells on the SCM you shouldn't prove that you know it was a scammer. (like cranwell did)

So things that i understood after reading a few comments.

If u want to buy a hat from a scammed user that sells on the SCM you shouldn't prove that you know it was a scammer. (like cranwell did)

Or go and tell the mods that you went searching for hijacked shit like J-J-Jon did.

If you willingly and knowingly trade with a scammer, you should be banned. I don't see how people can contest that.

Obviously you err to the side of caution; if somebody with no previous 'convictions' buys a scammed unusual off of SCM, it's probably safe to assume they didn't know.

If someone is doing it habitually (or, in Cranwell's case, we have evidence to prove he knew), they should be banned. Encouraging scamming is not good for a community, and that's all buying scammed unusuals does.

But literally all scammers do is sell stuff on the S.C.M now get it out of their hands and into anothers quickly and it's pretty easy to spot alts on outpost and other places. And bans on trading sites do LITERALLY NOTHING to stop that like literally 0 because it's so easy to be able to find cheap "good" deals from scammers on the market because imo way to many people get scammed. Temporary bans should get the message through especially through like 1 year bans. IMO People should be set on probation and if they do another sketchy thing during that then you can issue a Perma-ban.. It's true that would be hard to regulate though.

IMO People should be set on probation and if they do another sketchy thing during that then you can issue a Perma-ban.. It's true that would be hard to regulate though.

That's literally what happens, you always get a warning ban first >_<

Maybe you should do a little more research ;_;

Or go and tell the mods that you went searching for hijacked shit like J-J-Jon did.

This is another problem were facing imo. People aren't scared to get banned anymore.. J-Jon didn't really care it's all because of the fact that they can do what they want after they are banned from said sites. J-j-jon has Sharked and Bought those Unusuals but he had the guts to say he did which I respect. But since he did something like that after his ban from outpost in which he wasn't scared to do another thing to that degree he did. And now he's banned from bp.tf in which like I said before he didn't really seem to care.

That's literally what happens, you always get a warning ban first >_<

Maybe you should do a little more research ;_;

J-jon didn't. If you read why he got banned it said "This is his 1st offense but something we cannot overlook".. They didn't give him an extra chance here just straight to the ban hammer.

While I'm certainly not condoning buying items that have been phished or scammed, we really need to revisit putting the onus on the people who are getting scammed too. Trying to control the pipeline on the "outbound" scammed items is way too fucking hard as has already been stated. Buying on the SCM makes it hard to tell who's marked or not if they have a private profile since we can't look at the item history. And again with the way deals move on there, its hard to take a lot of time to search only to then lose the deal, especially if it is legit. 

While I partly feel bad for the people who get scammed, they need to take some of the heat. It's not all on the people who buy items that keep scammers going. Scammers keep scamming because you get fucking retards that can't take 2 seconds to read a URL link or somehow fall for trade this item to a friend so I can make sure it's not duped bullshit. If you are falling for that, you deserve to lose your shit. 

The point is, we aren't going to stop scammers ever, and we probably aren't going to stop people from buying scammed items, and we probably aren't going to be able to educate the masses enough to stop them from being rock-dumb. So this Spanish Inquisition to start perm-banning everybody who's bought a scammed item or knew of it is a waste of time and pointless. Trading sites shouldn't be taking the role of disciplinary on. If they are a trade site, they should be monitoring their own sites and functionality in a developer role. And that brings me to Valve's role in all this. If they actually gave a fuck about people getting their items scammed, they'd do a hell of a lot more about it than they do now. They really don't care about any of you, they care about $$$$$$ and how much of it are you going to spend. So I think that tells you all you need to know about the epic failure this undertaking is going to result in. 

Archived