Is suicide brave or cowardly?

Water Salesman

?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. ?

So you're basically calling me a weak person for wanting to make sure that I wasn't a burden to everyone I knew.

Gee, thanks.

Wait, wut?

Are you saying you actually tried? o.o

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. I went to Southend Pier during Monday 14th, when it was still term time. This may be a bit of a pathetic excuse to most people, but I have every reason to hate having it; I was born with Asperger syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism, which renders me very weak in terms of social skills.

And before an ignorant fuck jumps in, I do NOT wear a fedora.

Yep. I went to Southend Pier during Monday 14th, when it was still term time. This may be a bit of a pathetic excuse to most people, but I have every reason to hate having it; I was born with Asperger syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism, which renders me very weak in terms of social skills.

I do know of Aspergers and how it's a social dysfunction

Since a friend of mine has Autism it's relatively different to be friends

But!

I'm somewhat capable of making friends

I'm too crazy and nice to NOT be his friend x3

Bravery and stupidity go hand in hand.

Yeah, i realize that given the context, that statement is probably offensive...

So you're basically calling me a weak person for wanting to make sure that I wasn't a burden to everyone I knew.

Yes

Not being able to handle life generally implies emotional weakness.

Yes

Not being able to handle life generally implies emotional weakness.

Sometimes one's ability to handle life is taken away when they're disabled. That's not a life worth living, isn't it?

Anyone that says either is retarded. It's not cowardly or brave. That's like saying cancer is a brave illness to befall you. Depression is an illness! Maybe emotionally weak people are more likely to get it, to generalise like this is to say that skin cancer is a sunbather's problem. /THREAD

Anyone that says either is retarded. It's not cowardly or brave. That's like saying cancer is a brave illness to befall you. Depression is an illness! Maybe emotionally weak people are more likely to get it, to generalise like this is to say that skin cancer is a sunbather's problem. /THREAD

Do you even know what emotional weakness means

Sorry man, but you are really overplaying aspergers

It is niether. For most of my life I could never understand why someone could commit suicide but over the last three years I have been in a state of depression. With that said, I now understand why. There are times I want to be dead. Anyone can say that there is a solution but thats foolish because you don't know the person and what they feel they are obliged to be and do with thier lives. If a solution exists in becoming something you alteady know you cant become then it gets pretty hard to fight thru to nothing. There are many people who don't fit into what human society needs them to be and it cant be helped. Its pretty random.

anyone who thinks its cowardly probably doesn't have a good understanding of depression or can't really understand why someone wanted to kill themselves. it's a horribly reductionist view of the topic and it's sort of saddening the vast majority of voters are saying cowardly. talk to someone who is depressed to try and understand it better, and don't pretend you know anything about it if you haven't gone through it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I read about this Indian Army Platoon leader who stayed back to hold off incoming attackers from the North while his platoon(which was wounded, outgunned, outmanned and blindsided by the attack) could escape. He technically knew his actions would lead directly to his untimely demise, but he nevertheless carried on with them. I guess we could call it "suicide" but it certainly wasn't "cowardly". 

anyone who thinks its cowardly probably doesn't have a good understanding of depression or can't really understand why someone wanted to kill themselves. it's a horribly reductionist view of the topic and it's sort of saddening the vast majority of voters are saying cowardly. talk to someone who is depressed to try and understand it better, and don't pretend you know anything about it if you haven't gone through it yourself.

it is not completely cowardly, but it is no where near brave

Depends, suicide for a soldier or a leader is honour for him as he doesn't fall prisoner against his enemies. But for normal stupid people it's kinda cowardly.

Archived