Is suicide brave or cowardly?

Water Salesman

?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me, but i simply stated my opinion, i am being civil and rational, in what way was i not? Obviously my opinion seems to bother you a lot.

Stick with the topic. No bullshit or drama. 

*i think it's wrong you're trying to defend people that attacked first (Pearl Harbor)*

Giving away your life that was given to you is cowardly

Giving away your life that was given to you is cowardly

I wasn't asked whether I wanted to live. 

Be careful with your words, son.

There's a scene in the godfather part 2 where a member of the corleone syndicate who turned into a witness against the corleone family is visited by the corleone family lawyer.  He basically tells him that if he kills himself, his family and subordinates will be spared.  So he does it.  Do you think he was courageous or a coward?  Within the context of the movie, I think he was both.  What if you were in a similar situation where killing yourself would mean that the lives of others would be spared?  Would you consider that cowardly?

What if you and a group of people were stranded without enough food?  Sacrificing yourself might give them a chance to survive.  A man named Lawrence Oats did it, but he was already afflicted with frostbite and had become gangrene.  Do you think he was a coward?  It's possible he was simply afraid and just didn't want to suffer a long death.  Maybe he just wanted to help the others.  I personally think it was a little of both.

What about a man on a battlefield who throws himself on a grenade to save the lives of nearby soldiers?

When I think of suicide, I feel fear.  I don't want to die.  To me, the idea of killing myself is frightening.  I think that's natural.  What then must it take for someone to be pushed to a point where that inbuilt fear of death is overcome?  I can think of 4 things.  It must take either great personal suffering, concern for others (noble sacrifice), a mental deficiency (insanity), or the belief that your suicide will bring you great bliss in the afterlife.

I agree to a certain extent that it is cowardly but can also be honorable.

Cowardly: When you want to take the "easy way out". Now, there are people who are mentally ill and really cannot control this. However, there are plenty of healthy people, in bad situations, who have taken their life. As I've learned in sociology and psychology, "you can never be that person". We will never know how they feel about their situation. However, it still doesnt change the fact that they take their own life as a solution to a temporary problem.

Honorable: Typically in time of war. Everyone has a breaking point. Unfortunately, sometimes revealing critical information can lead to worse consequences. In these cases, such as the Japanese had done, it could be considered crucial to the survival of the many, which can bring up another entire debate on means justifying tthe end. Another way could be to procure a safe route for allies in, say, a battlefield. Maybe to save your squad, you have to run out and distract enemy fire. Certainly suicide, but to save others.

So in the end: in most cases, it can be considered perhaps a mental disease. When it comes to life's problems, 100% cowardly. In a wartime situation with lives on the line, it can be considered brave in certain situations (being a suicide bomber or kamikaze is not).

Doesn't have to be a wartime situation to not be cowardly, imho.

One rather famous example that comes to mind is german photographer Gunter Sachs, who shot himself after being diagnosed with some terminal illness (presumeably Alzheimer's). His truely impressive suicide note said this: "The loss of mental control over my life was an undignified condition, which I decided to counter decisively." I would say among the most desperate means to maintain control over your fate, suicide sure requires anything but a coward to even become an option, and I trust even the most delusional romatic fool who slits his wrist over some girl's rejection has to summon a very non-cowardly resolve to actually go through with it. He might be a complete idiot for not applying that resolve elsewhere, but tbh, I'm not sure he's a coward for chosing to forfeit anything life has to offer.

It really just depends on the context. If it's due to the fact that the person's life is ruined, and it isn't their fault, and there is NO way to fix it, or the person is a 'martyr' of sorts for a cause, I would consider it brave, as it prevents things from getting worse.

But if it's over something that person caused, and they could do something about it, it's nothing but the easy way out, so they don't have to deal with their own problems.

No situation is black and white. You can't define ALL suicides (or any other concept), as pure good or bad (brave or cowardly, in this case).

Excuse me, but i simply stated my opinion, i am being civil and rational, in what way was i not? Obviously my opinion seems to bother you a lot.

Because your so-called opinion is demonstrably false.  At no point did I ever expressly defend or condone the action of deliberately crashing a plane into a ship, nor did I ever take the side of the japanese military during world war 2.  Not only is what you said irrational, it's a blatant fabrication on your part.

No thanks.  I think we're done.  I think you owe me an apology by the way.

Great. Guess "defending" was the wrong way to put it, but no way i'm apologizing, thanks.

Holy shit can you two be anymore immature?

Suicide is neither brave or cowardly. Most people that commit suicide is just having a depression episode where they might do unrational things which they cannot control

Suicide is neither brave or cowardly. Most people that commit suicide is just having a depression episode where they might do unrational things which they cannot control

Exactly. There are situations where it is brave and situations where it is cowardly, but I would say that it is neither most of the time.

Neither. It's rarely cowardly or courageous. As you've said in the past of the thread, it is very courageous to throw yourself on a grenade to save an entire squad, or pushing your girlfriend out of the way of a truck speeding far too much to save her life instead of living. Cowardly is an entirely different ballpark.

Before I start, let it be clear that I am speaking from experience, personal and from what I've heard from other people I know. It is possible this is sided towards victims.

What IS cowardly - you like a girl, and she said no to going out with you, going to prom, etc. and cannot cope with their rejection, or the situation where you have a chemical imbalance in your brain and instead of even trying to think rationally (I am acknowledging that people do act irrationally when they are depressed enough), you reach out to someone and try to get help in taking control back of your life.

What is NOT cowardly - if someone too close to you and you cannot live without (ie your parents when you're little) do not want you around and would rather see you dead. If you honestly think you do nothing more than detriment every life you know. When you know that life just isn't worth living. For example, if you know that your life is ending from a sickness, and you don't want to have to endure the pain that happens before it. I knew a person who had cancer and he shot himself to save himself from the pain he was inevitably going to endure. It seemed bad at worse, but it was more understandable as we learned what really was happening to him, and I started to not blame him.

Think before you think "oh god he's suicidal so he must be a coward", or "oh god he commited suicide, what a coward", because there are legitimate problems where life might just not be worth living. 

This is my viewpoint on it, if you have anything you don't agree with, feel free to share.

EDIT: I do not support suicide at all, I hope no one confuses that. There are times where suicide is just more justified than others.

Exactly. There are situations where it is brave and situations where it is cowardly, but I would say that it is neither most of the time.

I for one don't think I would have the will-power to commit suicide, so in a sense, It can be brave. (at least from my perspective.) 

I for one don't think I would have the will-power to commit suicide, so in a sense, It can be brave. (at least from my perspective.) 

You say that now, but once you reach a state of great depression, you start to think otherwise.

You say that now, but once you reach a state of great depression, you start to think otherwise.

Certain thoughts can really fog up your common sense and grasp on life. 

It's brave if the suicide has a goal that is important enough. There was a soldier that suicide for a very brave reason. the enemies throwed a grenade on them, and that soldier took the grenade, attached it and blocked the blast with his body. Because of him the other soldiers didn't died. That was very brave.

But in any other case.. it's cowardly.

It's brave if the suicide has a goal that is important enough.

I think it's difficult to commit suicide.  I think it takes courage to do it.  A lot of people want to do it, but they can't bring themselves to out of fear.  Perhaps it's not necessarily always a brave thing, but I do think that in most cases it does take a certain amount of bravery.  I've been holding off on my vote, but after discussing it with you guys, I think I fall more into the "suicide  is courageous" category, not that I am condoning it, because that's a separate issue.

If someone wants to start a topic about suicide from an ethical standpoint, I might be interested in participating and reading what others have to say.

Frankly speaking, committing suicide is a cowardly thing to do. People who take this extreme step are extremely weak, selfish people who take the easy way out to ease all the pain and suffering or troubles they are being subjected to. It's okay, I admit the fact that it does take some so-called 'bravery' to put the noose around your neck, knowing the fact that you're about to do something irrevocably irreversible. But then, when that individual decided to take his life, he should also think of the fact that he is takign away the happiness of many others as well and that is not fair. Suffer if you want to but running away from your problems by killing yourslef isn't a very brave thing to do. Your loved ones whom you leave behind will live all their lives thinking about what you did, in an eternal state of despair.

So you're basically calling me a weak person for wanting to make sure that I wasn't a burden to everyone I knew.

Gee, thanks.

Archived