Need some help on how to make my Laptop run faster.

Kollin007

+1 malwarebytes

+1 uninstall unused programs like toolbars coupon printers and other "shitware" or "bloatware" like McAfee Security Scan...

+1 msconfig unchecking items that you normally dont use. For instance I only use teamviewer once in a while but i unchecked it because the service is running in the background taking up resources.

Uninstall unused programs. Eg. if you havent used vmware player, as an example, for 6+ months have dont have anything to use it for planned, get rid of it. No sense in having it take up space when its going unused.

start > defrag and disk cleanup your c:\ drive after you uninstall everything you want/can

What antivirus are you running? That can also be a resource hog, for slow machines I suggest MSE. Very lightweight.

If you are running chrome i assume you have extensions etc correct? Possibly delete or disable the ones you no longer need. Install ABPlus if you havent already got it. Saves having to load some bullshit ads everytime you enter a site.

Go into device manage and disable hardware you dont need/use. Webcam, bluetooth etc. Goes along with msconfig, if bluetooth hardware is down, no sense in running the bluetooth service.

DO NOT install PC Booster or RegCleaner or TuneUp Utilities or any of that "speed up your pc with my spyware loaded shitware". Just a big waste of time and doesnt even work half the time.

Delete old restore points and limit the usage space for it if you even want it on.

Open the laptop up, clean the fins of the heatsink with cans of air. If you know how, might go one step further and reapply quality paste as well.

Consider a lightweight browser like Opera if you just need fast browsing.

OK. I have MSE because it's free, lol. I also have that Malwarebyte thing, is it necessary to have 2? I have no bloatware stuff. I got everything else. Not exactly sure on how to use msconfig. How do I delete old restore points? How do I clean my laptop? What the hell are fins? lol. Opera mini web browser would work on Backpack.tf and doing Price Suggestions?

Also, should I uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome? If so, how?

OK. I have MSE because it's free, lol. I also have that Malwarebyte thing, is it necessary to have 2? I have no bloatware stuff. I got everything else. Not exactly sure on how to use msconfig. How do I delete old restore points? How do I clean my laptop? What the hell are fins? lol. Opera mini web browser would work on Backpack.tf and doing Price Suggestions?

MSE is antivirus mainly, malwarebytes is malware only; one of the best paid and free. Yes you should have both.

Bloatware is the shit that comes on new computers like mcafee, office trials, asus splendid video etc. Bloatware isnt necessarily malicious, its just extra software that comes with preconfigured machines and driver discs that is beyond useless.

On your keyboard hold the windows key then press "R" > type msconfig > click startup tab > uncheck the uneccesary services > reboot when asked

Restore points: DO THIS ONLY IF YOU WANT TO DELETE PREVIOUS RESTORE POINTS hit Start (or windows key) > right click computer > properties > advanced system settings > system protection > select c drive > click configure > EITHER turn off system protection & delete restore points or limit max usage and delete all restore points.

Clean laptop: requires knowledge of using a screwdriver and googling for teardown instructions.

Fins are the heatsink fins that fans push cooler air through to keep the CPU/GPU at adequate temps.

Any browser works on bp.tf. I havent come across one that doesnt so far. chromium, konqueror, opera, etc

To uninstall chrome: start > control panel > uninstall programs/programs features > select chrome > hit uninstall > follow prompts

Buy an ssd if you can. Everything will get dramatically more responsive.

Use Firefox since chrome (especially with a lot of tabs) just eats ram.

Buy more ram.

Go to: start and type in system configuration then go to the startup tab and disable everything you don't want to run when windows starts up (pro tip, if you're lot positive what something is, look it up before disabling it).

Run an antivirus scan. Malwarebytes and avg.

If buying an ssd isn't an option, delete all the random crap--programs/files/whatnot that you no longer use and clear up some space on your hdd. And then run disk defragment (consolidates all your information on the drive resulting in less seeking).

If all else fails, stop using aero theme, and/or use windows 95/xp theme as they're a lot less demanding.

If all else fails, stop using aero theme, and/or use windows 95/xp theme as they're a lot less demanding.

I forgot about that.

Right click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > (under performance) click settings > adjust for best performance

If you have the cash buy an SSD and faster RAM as Awesome suggested. You didnt mention you would buy hardware thus I didnt suggest it. Samsung is currently, IMO, best brand on the SSD market. Vengeance-1600 RAM and Ripjaw-1600 RAM would be my choice, respectively, for a laptop that needs a speed boost. 8GB in 2x4GB sticks would be ideal. You wouldn't ever need more than 8 (possibly even 4) in a laptop that is only for web.

NOTE: if you do end up going with a Samsung ssd, stay with the 840 evo series, the 850 was just released. I would stick with something that has been on the market a while and has bugs fixed with newer releases.

A clean install of Win7 would also help but that is a bit drastic and only if it really needs it.

Windows browser choice in order

Firefox + ABP (better browser)

Opera + ABP (faster browser)

Chrome

@pyrocide

Crucial mx100 is also a great choice and a bit cheaper since cost might be a factor.

Crucial also makes excellent ram :P

Tip #1

No one mentioned CCleaner? -> https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Literally the #1 way to clean up your computer, and it's free!

Tip #2

Also make sure your desktop does not show any icons. 

Go to your desktop -> Right click and find the choice "Show desktop Icons" -> Left click that option so that it is UNCHECKED

Tip #3

Make sure your computer is running in an "old theme".

To do so, click start (windows button) -> Look for the "Computer" button -> Right click and select properties -> A window will pop up, on the right select "advanced system settings" -> Look for the heading "Performance" and click the "settings" button found underneath it -> Look for the choice "Adjust for best performance"

All this will get rid of extra unnecessary crap that is only there to make your computer look "cooler". Makes any computer so much faster if you get rid of them!

Tip #4

ms.config! Time to make your startup faster and get rid of unnecessary processes

Click on start and in the search bar type "msconfig" and select the first option that appears -> A window will pop up, search for the services tab -> In the services tab look at the bottom left and check the "Hide all microsoft services box" -> Now uncheck any process you feel is useless 

For making your start up faster stay in your msconfig -> Go to the startup tab -> Deselect all the random crap that you DON'T want to start up automatically when you turn on your computer (I turned off steam, skype, chrome, hamachi)

I hope this all makes sense!

Tip #1

No one mentioned CCleaner? -> https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Literally the #1 way to clean up your computer, and it's free!

Last time i used CCleaner was about 3 years ago and it caused my machine to BSOD and resulted in reinstalling. I would never recommend CCleaner.

@pyrocide

Crucial mx100 is also a great choice and a bit cheaper since cost might be a factor.

Crucial also makes excellent ram :P

Ive never had any success using crucial. They have the name and rep for great quality stuff, but in my experience both 204 and 240 pin ram has never worked out well for me. Never tried their SSDs yet so I cannot say. Ive tried mushkin, gskill, samsung and intel. Samsung has been the only one that has made it past a year without having to RMA.

Last time i used CCleaner was about 3 years ago and it caused my machine to BSOD and resulted in reinstalling. I would never recommend CCleaner.

Ive never had any success using crucial. They have the name and rep for great quality stuff, but in my experience both 204 and 240 pin ram has never worked out well for me. Never tried their SSDs yet so I cannot say. Ive tried mushkin, gskill, samsung and intel. Samsung has been the only one that has made it past a year without having to RMA.

I've pretty much only used Crucial Ram, until my current desktop--being G. Skill. As for their ssds, I've had the M4 myself for like 3 years and I had to RMA it once, but it was extremely easy.

I emailed Crucial and within a day I was given the option: send yours back and we'll send a replacement once we receive yours or "pay" for a replacement, and we'll refund it when we receive yours. I went with the former, and within a week I had contacted Crucial and received my new ssd. 

Mushkin is the same way for RMA, the fact they are based 2 hours from DFW is a win also.

Im waiting for DDR4 memory to be released before i build a new rig. Who knows maybe next one will be crucial ram + ssd. hehe

Everything has been amazing. Performance and Speed are dramatically improved. Thanks a lot guys.

But 1 more thing: On Chrome I have these Extensions/Add-On things that are for Steam and they give me a pop-up when someone comments on my Outpost Trades or sends me a Trade Offer. I didn't find anything on Firefox. Is there a certain thing that you have to go to? Are they only avalable on Chrome/Opera?

Any repsonse would be nice.

Mushkin is the same way for RMA, the fact they are based 2 hours from DFW is a win also.

Im waiting for DDR4 memory to be released before i build a new rig. Who knows maybe next one will be crucial ram + ssd. hehe

Meh, its a pointless wait. DDR3 isn't even fully saturated by 99% of people. Most people have between 4-16gb ddr3 1600-2133mhz ram. Yet, ddr3 supports 32gb on virtually all decent motherboards, 64gb on x79, and 128gb on x79 that supports ecc. So....

Everything has been amazing. Performance and Speed are dramatically improved. Thanks a lot guys.

But 1 more thing: On Chrome I have these Extensions/Add-On things that are for Steam and they give me a pop-up when someone comments on my Outpost Trades or sends me a Trade Offer. I didn't find anything on Firefox. Is there a certain thing that you have to go to? Are they only avalable on Chrome/Opera?

Search for them in the Firefox extensions. If you don't see them there, then its probably only on chrome (or at least not on firefox). 

Meh, its a pointless wait. DDR3 isn't even fully saturated by 99% of people. Most people have between 4-16gb ddr3 1600-2133mhz ram. Yet, ddr3 supports 32gb on virtually all decent motherboards, 64gb on x79, and 128gb on x79 that supports ecc. So....

Search for them in the Firefox extensions. If you don't see them there, then its probably only on chrome (or at least not on firefox). 

The rig before my current set up was 8gb ddr2 C2E and a GTX 260.

Current rig is now sitting at 32gb ddr3 1866, 4.6 2500k and oc'd sli gtx 580.

Next rig will probably be when i need more power than that which will, given the time it took me to upgrade to this rig, be a WHILE. I wasnt meaning as soon as it released ima build me a new rig.

I only really upgrade when i need it. Went from a g50vt with the highest possible upgraded parts from ebay and newegg over 5 years to a 1tb, 650m, 16gb rmbp. Gonna be longer than 5 years before im ready to upgrade to a new laptop. Same goes with the desktop.

Glad everything worked out. Only few extensions exist across multiple browsers. ABP is one of them i know for sure. Firefox has greasemonkey while chrome has a different script extension. It all depends on the developers and what browser they choose to work with, unfortunately. But the good thing is, there are people out there that like one browser and develop extensions they find on other browsers to work with their browser of choice, then distribute it.

I only really upgrade when i need it. 

Same, unfortunately. I'd love to have the budget to buy and build a new computer all the time....Hell, I'd love to buy a custom loop for my computer...but...y'know, I don't want to spend like $600+ doing that :/ 

hqdefault.jpg

SKpn50K.jpg

full.jpg

y'know if money was no object...

Very...Very Sexy. How much was it? Did you build/buy it? How long ago?

y'know if money was no object...

Honestly, I don't even want multiple screens. I just want SLI 780TIs, a 4k display, and a custom built water loop.

Actually, I just like building and tinkering....so...yea. 

I'm 99.999999% sure thats not his :P 

687yKFM.jpg?1

That is my set up a few months ago. Changed up the seating of the monitor and rig and cleaned the cables a bit. Setup my modded 360 and ps3 next to it and moved the mac. I am not a lit case type person, i prefer sleek black cases from lian. My rig as it stands right now tips the $3k scale from start to current. That includes dead and replaced drives, cable sleeving shit I have yet to put on, all that jazz; the triple monitors i used to own and the new 1440 asus one now and so on.

Honestly, I don't even want multiple screens. I just want SLI 780TIs, a 4k display, and a custom built water loop.

Actually, I just like building and tinkering....so...yea. 

Im with you, if i could get paid the amount of money i make now just building custom rigs for people I would. Alas, not enough demand for custom rigs. I just want 2 screens. An Ultra wide in portrait orientation for browsing and my current 27. Had the triple monitor setup, hated gaming on it. The bezels were just TOO much

I'm not even a huge fan of multi monitor setups as I'd rather have a separate computer for internet/other stuff.

Archived