TF2 FPS Fluctuation

Element IV

So my TF2 lately has been getting huge FPS fluctuations from being at 300 to dropping to 170-180 then going to 200-250 and then maybe 300 again. Any ideas on why or what I can do to stop the FPS fluctuations?

So my TF2 lately has been getting huge FPS fluctuations from being at 300 to dropping to 170-180 then going to 200-250 and then maybe 300 again. Any ideas on why or what I can do to stop the FPS fluctuations?

Are you complaining about 170 frames?...i get maybe 30 on a good day

LOL I'm lucky if my framerate is good enough to play. I usually hover around 8-10, and after a minute or two of playing, it drops to less than one frame per second. During these times, I just turn my screen to the ground, which improves framerate, and try to get back to spawn where I can wait ten minutes for frames to improve so I can play for another 2 minutes. Lucky asshole.

You couldn't tell the difference between 170 FPS and 300 FPS using your eyes alone. Be happy that you can run the game at a decent FPS while most of us can barely reach 30 FPS.

Buy a more powerful CPU and GPU's (run multiple video cards in SLI/Crossfire). Buy a faster SSD (or two and run them in RAID 0).

Buy 4 GTX titans and then run them all in SLI. You won't ever see anything bellow 1,000. Problem solved.

Whaaaaah I get 170 frames on tf2 wheeeere's the whiiine? Get me some french cries and waaaaaahtermelon.

Douchieness aside, i would try adjusting some graphics settings or seeing if you can find an FPS cap mod for ~100 fps.

Are you complaining about 170 frames?...i get maybe 30 on a good day

Stop playing.

play pyro because it's easy

+1

Thinly veiled troll topic? It certainly worked lol.

If it's a real question Idk what to say except cap your fps to your monitor's refresh rate. I get the same fluctuations and it doesn't affect the gameplay.

Also I never seem to dip below 90, and even that is in the middle of a huge midfight at the start of a round 12v12.

Usually hovers around 140-200.

Many people cannot detect anything above 60 (with some people unable to see anything past 40 fps) and a 60Hz monitor cannot physically display more frames per second than its refresh rate (which is 60, equal to the Hz rating). Some people buy the crazy 120Hz monitors but that isn't really worth it if you aren't sure if you can even see the FPS it's spitting at you.

The real draw to higher frames is that the game feels a lot smoother.

If you don't know what that means, try playing scout at 30 fps, then try playing at 200.

it affects the mouse response if the FPS fluctuates wildly, didn't know so many assholes were in a TF2 forum. I appreciate Geno, Rambro, Cynexl, Davy, and krawtch for being serious and at least trying to answer. I was wondering why it was fluctuating since I got a new and powerful rig, but some people go and start shitposting. Thanks anyways.

120 and higher fps you shouldnt notice the difference. Are you sure your not talking about ping?

Not ping, but I notice there are mouse responsiveness or game responsiveness when the fps fluctuates for me, form 150-180 in combat and walking from 200-250. Plus I specifically bought a gaming rig and I was curious to this fps fluctuation because I can run Skyrim and Payday 2 on high settings fine, but tf2 has this issue.

It could be possible that your configuration can be messing up your FPS. It could also be some settings that is causing your FPS to be unstable.

Other than that, I don't really know what else could be the problem mainly because I've never had the experience of such a high FPS.

dude i play on a laptop at like 50-60 fps. You can neither see nor respond fast enough for there to be any real difference between 170 and 300 FPS. If anything any responsiveness difference you're noticing is due to some other process happening in the background that is also causing the frame rate to go lower.

No need to be assholes, I get around 400 fps sometimes (No joke, sometimes it spikes to over 1000) i have a 60 mps download speed and a 40 upload speed. Just cap it.

No need to be assholes, I get around 400 fps sometimes (No joke, sometimes it spikes to over 1000) i have a 60 mps download speed and a 40 upload speed. Just cap it.

How would capping it help?

Not ping, but I notice there are mouse responsiveness or game responsiveness when the fps fluctuates for me, form 150-180 in combat and walking from 200-250. Plus I specifically bought a gaming rig and I was curious to this fps fluctuation because I can run Skyrim and Payday 2 on high settings fine, but tf2 has this issue.

i mean your really not suppose to notice the fps difference in those like everyone is saying, i suppose for as good of a computer you say you have though you would want to know why it is so different. (i go from 30-120). you could try going into properties, set launch options, and type "-high" just to make it the highest priority that worked well for me in csgo.

• 2 weeks later...

Also I never seem to dip below 90, and even that is in the middle of a huge midfight at the start of a round 12v12.

Usually hovers around 140-200.

Many people cannot detect anything above 60 (with some people unable to see anything past 40 fps) and a 60Hz monitor cannot physically display more frames per second than its refresh rate (which is 60, equal to the Hz rating). Some people buy the crazy 120Hz monitors but that isn't really worth it if you aren't sure if you can even see the FPS it's spitting at you.

The real draw to higher frames is that the game feels a lot smoother.

If you don't know what that means, try playing scout at 30 fps, then try playing at 200.

I WANT TO TRY AT 200.

I get 40 on orange with 8 players. All of us here are poor. Give us yo cpu.

Archived