Need advice/help building a computer

cleverpun

Only 150 more :P

But 280x is quite good anyway.

Just noticed a typo, a 4690k tends to run a bit* cooler.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go with awesome and say spring for the 4690k since its only a little more cash to get it. 

And droppin the ssd would save you money and I wouldnt get any brand besides corsair/crucial/samsung when it comes to ssd because of reasons already mentioned. 

I say that video card will be perfect for the upcoming years. Upgrade to a maxwell card in 2 years :)

I would go with awesome and say spring for the 4690k since its only a little more cash to get it. 

And droppin the ssd would save you money and I wouldnt get any brand besides corsair/crucial/samsung when it comes to ssd because of reasons already mentioned. 

I say that video card will be perfect for the upcoming years. Upgrade to a maxwell card in 2 years :)

Intel SSDs are by far the best, but they cost about twice normal price. However, they're optimal for SSD only systems. If clever isn't recording high-quality video and storing lots of it, they would be good

Updated the parts list

Intel SSDs are by far the best, but they cost about twice normal price. However, they're optimal for SSD only systems. If clever isn't recording high-quality video and storing lots of it, they would be good

I couldn't afford an SSD-only system. I may still downgrade the SSD to a smaller size if I get too overbudget.

Updated the parts list

I couldn't afford an SSD-only system. I may still downgrade the SSD to a smaller size if I get too overbudget.

120GB should be enough for OS and programs etc.

Everything else can just go on an HDD, since there really isn't much better performance in games, only thing better is when you start the game and have to load maps etc.

hed be better off just picking up a second 280x when he needs it rather than buying a new gpu. That's what in planning...in 3 years when a 780 starts to get taxed I'll pick up a second one.

Intel is really no better than samsung or crucial. Corsair is good as well, I just don't see a reason to go for it; they're usually more expensive or not as fast--there good when on sale. As for ssd speeds really mattering....they really don't, they all end up performing very similarly as such reliability and cost should be a first priority.

120GB should be enough for OS and programs etc.

Everything else can just go on an HDD, since there really isn't much better performance in games, only thing better is when you start the game and have to load maps etc.

True, but the cost difference isn't that big. I've been thinking a bit about it lately, and If I didn't already have an ssd, I probably would've gone with a straight 512gb ssd and no hdd since I don't need any media storage--just games. And a 120/256gb ssd+1tb hdd is only like $50 cheaper than a 512gb ssd.

Alright, I updated the list to include a monitor, mouse, and keyboard; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y4RJgs -- I still need to pick out a clip-on mic and a drawing tablet, but I think I'm going to be ordering parts soon.

Then we get to the fun part--actually putting everything together without breaking it.

Alright, I updated the list to include a monitor, mouse, and keyboard; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y4RJgs -- I still need to pick out a clip-on mic and a drawing tablet, but I think I'm going to be ordering parts soon.

Then we get to the fun part--actually putting everything together without breaking it.

Don't worry, it's not hard at all, just put everything on the mobo before putting it in the case, it's much easier

There's plenty of good content prior to this post so I wont go into the parts aspect. The building can be frustrating especially with a new case and wire management. Take you time and dont force it, quickest way to destroy parts. Some pressure will be required for the ram and PCI slots but if it gets to the point of digging into your fingers, back off reseat it and try again. Follow the instructions for mounting the HSF, even pressure across the heat spreader is key.

Consider repasting the CPU with AS-5 and GPU with a non-conductive paste such as ceramique/mx-4/ic diamond. Cooler running parts last longer.

My one question though is why were some of the people suggesting a "z" chipset board for a non k cpu?

EDIT: Do a test run to verify everything works PRIOR to redoing the paste. Especially on the GPU. Makes claiming DOA harder if you have removed the hsf from the card.

There's plenty of good content prior to this post so I wont go into the parts aspect. The building can be frustrating especially with a new case and wire management. Take you time and dont force it, quickest way to destroy parts. Some pressure will be required for the ram and PCI slots but if it gets to the point of digging into your fingers, back off reseat it and try again. Follow the instructions for mounting the HSF, even pressure across the heat spreader is key.

Consider repasting the CPU with AS-5 and GPU with a non-conductive paste such as ceramique/mx-4/ic diamond. Cooler running parts last longer.

My one question though is why were some of the people suggesting a "z" chipset board for a non k cpu?

EDIT: Do a test run to verify everything works PRIOR to redoing the paste. Especially on the GPU. Makes claiming DOA harder if you have removed the hsf from the card.

I wouldn't reapply paste. It can be tricky if you've never done it, and especially on an aftermarket cooler, the pre-applied stuff is perfectly fine. Even the pre-applied stuff on my stock cooler keeps my cpu at 31ºc idle and 65ºc load. 

Because Z chipsets are worthwhile if he was going to go SLI. But the cost difference between K and non-k cpus are so minimal, that theres no point. You're better off spending the extra $50~ getting an overclockable cpu and board and give yourself a bit more breathing room in the future. 

-------------------------------------

@Cleverpun

Pro tip: If it fits, it belongs there. 

The only thing I would think about, is whether or not to get a single ssd or an ssd+hdd. If you're just gaming then a 512gb ssd (about $50 more than an ssd hdd combo) will more than likely be plenty of room--unless you'd like to install hundreds of games. It won't improve game performance, but it will decrease loading times, which i always nice. 

P.s. Unless you absolutely need it, I wouldn't use the cd drive because its ugly :unsure:

Oh, and windows can still be had from g2a.com if you want to save $70 :P

well, ordered some of the peripherals, now I just need my PP transfer to complete and I can order the rest off amazon. After tax and shipping I will be completely broke

well, ordered some of the peripherals, now I just need my PP transfer to complete and I can order the rest off amazon. After tax and shipping I will be completely broke

Broke in wallet, but not in spirit.

Newegg is having a sale--would this power supply be bout the same as the other one I picked?

The CSM is semi modular--meaning less random--unused--cables just lying around in the case. 

Have you already built your PC? If so, then I'll help with optimizations. If not, then I could help you out with parts, and other things.

Have you already built your PC? If so, then I'll help with optimizations. If not, then I could help you out with parts, and other things.

Parts are in the mail, I'll be attempting to put everything together sometime next week

Parts are in the mail, I'll be attempting to put everything together sometime next week

Oh. So... I guess we could call this post-ordering?

Anyway... you may want to put RAM in before putting the motherboard in the case...

I'm so tired so tomorrow I might remember more tips.

Put everything together (took about 5 hours), and just did a successful test boot! Now I just need to make sure the cables are all neat and then I can do the fun part and install everything.

Thanks to everyone who helped so far :D

Put everything together (took about 5 hours), and just did a successful test boot! Now I just need to make sure the cables are all neat and then I can do the fun part and install everything.

Thanks to everyone who helped so far :D

5 hours....

:unsure:

5 hours....

:unsure:

A significant chunk of that was cables--finding out exactly what SATA and PCI-E were for, how many I needed, and how to route them was a little frustrating since Corsair's PSU manual was useless

A significant chunk of that was cables--finding out exactly what SATA and PCI-E were for, how many I needed, and how to route them was a little frustrating since Corsair's PSU manual was useless

Well when you build another one in a couple years, you'll know exactly what you're doing :>

The first time you do build a computer, take your time. Don't rush it. It's actually okay if you don't rush it and make sure everything is alright to use.

After that, the next computer you build, it will most likely be easier and may be able to build the tower faster.

Anyways, congratulations! is dat spelled right?

What are your temps sitting at idle and in game?

Idle is 31-33, gaming is mid 40s-60s (depending how light the game is)

Is that bad?

Idle is 31-33, gaming is mid 40s-60s (depending how light the game is)

Is that bad?

Idle is a couple degrees higher than what the Hyper212 should be at, but lets attribute that to the paste that came with it. I have the same cooler on an i5-2500k and I idle around 27C across all cores. Its fine IMO.

Is the gaming temps your CPU or GPU?

Also, which temp montior are you using?

A screenshot of the temps using RealTemp or HWMonitor would help.

My temps are going to vary a lot due to the size of my case that has oc'd SLI 580s in it. When those puppies heat up my rig's temps go way up. Ill hit 85C CPU running metro at very high 1440p.

Archived