Computer randomly turning on

cleverpun

My laptop randomly started this morning. The fan woke me up, but when I opened it, it did not actually turn on and after a few moments the power went back off.

I did a malwarebytes scan (didn't detect anything), and I already checked Task Scheduler--didn't find any items that permit the computer to turn itself on.

This has never happened before, and I didn't click any suspicious links recently. Using a Windows 7 HP laptop (going on 3 years old now).

Any advice is appreciated.

Posted · Hidden by cleverpun, June 27, 2014 - Spam
Hidden by cleverpun, June 27, 2014 - Spam

Call Ghostbusters, there is a ghost in your house.

Post something helpful or don't post at all

I also have a Windows 7 Compaq Presario and when I Ieave it unplugged and it is not charging at exactly 33% it shuts down. I find out how much the battery level is when it shut downs for no reason when I start my computer back up.

I know this is kind of irrelevant to your problem, but I thought i'd share.

your laptop is possessed... ooooooh spooky

On a serious note, get your laptop checked out. May have been a 1 time occurance.

Consult a priest

On a more serious note, its probably nothing and most likely won't happen again. If it does, I dont know what to tell you.

Consult a priest

Post something helpful or don't post at all

It was shut down--I shut it down via start menu every night

In this case it's most likely a hardware fault, probably a faulty power button.

I was gonna say call an exorcist, but i already got ninja'd 3+ times. Anyway, like everyone else said, I would have a professional check your computer for maybe a computer short or a loose wire.

My laptop started doing this, it was water damage. It has messed up the power button, and made it randomly start and shut.

The next person who posts spam gets a warning point.

your laptop is possessed... ooooooh spooky

On a serious note, get your laptop checked out. May have been a 1 time occurance.

I was gonna say call an exorcist, but i already got ninja'd 3+ times. Anyway, like everyone else said, I would have a professional check your computer for maybe a computer short or a loose wire.

Im not going to pay someone 50 bucks to examine my computer when I'm going to be replacing it in a month.

In this case it's most likely a hardware fault, probably a faulty power button.

My laptop started doing this, it was water damage. It has messed up the power button, and made it randomly start and shut.

Well, the power button was the first thing to fail on my previous laptop, so I suppose that wouldn't be too surprising.

I also have a Windows 7 Compaq Presario and when I Ieave it unplugged and it is not charging at exactly 33% it shuts down. I find out how much the battery level is when it shut downs for no reason when I start my computer back up.

I know this is kind of irrelevant to your problem, but I thought i'd share.

Actually, if you haven't changed any options, your laptop hibernates by default on certain % battery level. But it seems weird to shut down at 33% battery life. 

My laptop randomly started this morning. The fan woke me up, but when I opened it, it did not actually turn on and after a few moments the power went back off.

I did a malwarebytes scan (didn't detect anything), and I already checked Task Scheduler--didn't find any items that permit the computer to turn itself on.

This has never happened before, and I didn't click any suspicious links recently. Using a Windows 7 HP laptop (going on 3 years old now).

Any advice is appreciated.

I have the same sometimes, just turns itself on in the middle of the night, no idea why it does so

Turn off the computer.

Turn it off from power.

Press the power button for 30 Seconds.

Reconnect the power cable.

Turn the computer on.

Profit?!

I'd just assume since it's 3 years old some wiring's become faulty. Shouldn't really be a problem if you're getting it replaced in a month. If it wakes you up during the night just put it in a different room.

I sometimes have a similar problem with my desktop, usually when there is a Windows update and I just make it sleep (not turn off completely). It wakes up in the middle of the night and then it reboots, but doesn't get into windows but into ubuntu which is the default OS when selecting which one to boot.

TL;DR: Not sure, but Windows updates or something like that might be causing the issue.

Actually, if you haven't changed any options, your laptop hibernates by default on certain % battery level. But it seems weird to shut down at 33% battery life. 

Alright, I will search through my settings to see anything about the Battery Level. Thanks man. Also, I thought it was kinda paranormal the first time it happened and every time after that when I rebooted it and saw it at 33%

Turn off the computer.

Turn it off from power.

Press the power button for 30 Seconds.

Reconnect the power cable.

Turn the computer on.

Profit?!

Care to explain? It's a laptop, if you turn it off from the power, it will have a battery. If you press a power button it would turn on, reconnect the power cable? what for, if its already on battery. Turn the computer on? its already on.. Do i miss something?

Care to explain? It's a laptop, if you turn it off from the power, it will have a battery. If you press a power button it would turn on, reconnect the power cable? what for, if its already on battery. Turn the computer on? its already on.. Do i miss something?

Oh sorry,explained myself badly.

Turn the computer off.

Remove the battery.

Remove the power cable.

Press the power button for 30 seconds-1 minute.

Put back the battery & the power cable.

Basically it drains all the energy that is in the computer.

Archived