Why are flies not the lowest tier of unusual effects?

DimeTheScumbag

Flies fits to every hat in the game, i love the effect and had like 20 flies hats once including a crones that i've sold today. Flies has been an unique effect to me, and it definitely is. I am completely convinced that flames, beams, energies are NOT what i'd call beautiful- instead the normal tf2 character models, hats, even facial expressions of the mercs (lol) are what makes me like a class, and the 'god' tier effects in my opinion only distract you from this. Flies are pretty much the only effect that is fitting to a soldier that has no time to have a shower and is standing on the battlefield on a daily basis.

Of course flies are not very noticeable in-game, but that doesn't make it a bad effect at all ! Flies completely satisfy me and were the only effect that made me actually keep a hat, they don't get boring and they are the best effect in supporting the good, old, true tf2 while still distinguishing you from all the other players that are too poor for unusuals.

I'm happy that many people think like me and hopefully there will be enough to make it end in a rise like confetti, one day... ;)

Why exactly is it themed on Sniper? I don't get it :(

Just something which carried on from the old days of tf2.

Low visabilty on the sniper is best, dont want to have a bright shiny effect that you can see half way across the map right? Back then when there were only 1gen effects  the fettis were seen as the most cancerous effect and flies became the "god tier" for sniper becuase it was a relatively rare unbox and low visability. Sorta like how the idea that TC is the best looking hat, it was the best looking, but even though there are many better hats now people still see the tc as the "god tier"

Visibility can be a bad thing playing competitively, especially when playing as a Sniper. Since Flies isn't too visible, it won't attract as much attention from an enemy as another effect would.

Pretty much this right here. In competitive subtlety is important, especially on classes like sniper, medic, engie & demo; having flashy unusuals makes you a giant target for the enemy team's sniper, and those classes can't afford to be easy picks. That's why files, N&B, planets & bubbles are often bought the most by those comp. classes; it allows them to still have an unusual, but still be subtle to the other team.

Plus, like Ghost1237 said, flies is still noticable, especially if the person has double unusual flies; with double flies, the field where the flies go around almost doubles to the point it covers the classes entire body. It's actually quite neat.

The amount of people who didn't read... I said it was good on sniper. I just prefer other effects to it a lot, even N&B

I still prefer nuts and bolts to flies, imo flies looks bad even on sniper. It might be "themed" but that doesn't change the fact that the effects aren't visible outside of 3 feet.

Archived