Views on Religion

The Radiated Banana

Is it real? Give proof/evidence?

Is it fake? Give proof/evidence?

Is it beneficial (towards economies, social groups etc.)?

Is it >insert opposite of beneficial here<?

Discuss. Please no flame wars. I'm just rather interested on this subject

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think religion and government should have anything to do with each other. It has never worked out well and they are 2 completely different subjects and regions on seperate matters. I don't care even if the country was found based on religion, religion and government do not mix well.

I don't think religion and government should have anything to do with each other. It has never worked out well and they are 2 completely different subjects and regions on seperate matters. I don't care even if the country was found based on religion, religion and government do not mix well.

But once you seperate government and religion, some serious shit could happen

But once you seperate government and religion, some serious shit could happen

So you think religion and government should be together? Should i remind you amount of wars started because of religion...

Religion is religion, government is government they should be separate, we had centuries where region and government were together and we call that the dark ages because nothing happened, if anything religion held back technological advances.

Imo i dont really care if religion is real or not, as long as some people believe in it and end up doing some good for the world then im happy. If a single person helped out another simply because he was "scared to go hell", they still helped someone, they still made the world a bit better :)

So you think religion and government should be together? Should i remind you amount of wars started because of religion...

Religion is religion, government is government they should be separate, we had centuries where region and government were together and we call that the dark ages because nothing happened, if anything religion held back technological advances.

Imo i dont really care if religion is real or not, as long as some people believe in it and end up doing some good for the world then im happy. If a single person helped out another simply because he was "scared to go hell", they still helped someone, they still made the world a bit better :)

1. No i dont think it should, like at all.

2. True, many wars have been started because of religion, but these wars could have happened without governments help and shit

3.Yeah they should be seperate.

4. Religion held back advancement through many ways

5. I wish religion did not exist, many benefits from that (there will be some negative effects tho), but most if not all civilisations were founded based on religion.

Is it beneficial (towards economies, social groups etc.)?

QAPIb.jpg

With that said, I'd dare to say it's pretty toxic, even today with secularity growing more rapidly than ever.I also do believe that at least Christianity will have more or less died out within a couple of decades. 

(Wide topic - hard to find something specific to get a grip on)

QAPIb.jpg

With that said, I'd dare to say it's pretty toxic, even today with secularity growing more rapidly than ever.I also do believe that at least Christianity will have more or less died out within a couple of decades. 

(Wide topic - hard to find something specific to get a grip on)

That picture is so sad

Religion is a waste of time and resource. If you need spiritual help find a psychatrist.

I strongly believe that there would be much more advanced in many ways if there never would have been such a thing as religion or cults.

What makes me lol the most is when you see bishops and shit walking around in their incredibly expensive robes, and preaching us to help the poor. Like how much of a hypocrite can you be.

Religion is a waste of time and resource. If you need spiritual help find a psychatrist.

I strongly believe that there would be much more advanced in many ways if there never would have been such a thing as religion or cults.

What makes me lol the most is when you see bishops and shit walking around in their incredibly expensive robes, and preaching us to help the poor. Like how much of a hypocrite can you be.

I'm not pro or con religion, but that's a pretty damn ignorant way of explaining your reasoning.

As someone that grew up in a fairly Catholic-heavy environment, I don't care for religion. It felt pretty force-fed to those with other views. A religion should be something someone can freely choose themselves, without being penalized for doing so. (ex. me nearly flunking out of religion class for not giving a damn)

1. I half agree, a bit ignorant

2. Yes his is true, but religions built civilizations, how can you get rid of it

3. There was a time when people like these were not wearing expensive robes and/or being greedy.

is it real ? Yes

Is it fake ? Some are

Is it beneficial ? If used properly i would say so

Religion is more than just believing in God .. is it about peace (no not talking about extremists so please don't say religions are only about war) .. it teaches you morals .. common sense .. basically everything you need to know that will help you live a decent life .. Religion is a way of life.

edgy internet atheist central, pretty unsurprising given the demographic.

a lot of religions teach some things i disagree with but in my experience, i've never been able to draw a correlation between "people who are religious" and "people who are bad people in my view". however it does seem to have a central place in most if not all conservative political/cultural forms which i guess is unsurprising if you think about it, but also a little upsetting from my leftie point of view.

i think the kind of libertarians who rag on religion as being "the opium of the masses" have essentially 0 sense of irony given the context of that quote, that's a pretty funny thing which popped into my head. Anyone who has quoted that without having really thought about the person saying it and what it meant in context, step forward.

is it real ? Yes

Is it fake ? Some are

Religion is more than just believing in God .. is it about peace (no not talking about extremists so please don't say religions are only about war) .. it teaches you morals .. common sense .. basically everything you need to know that will help you live a decent life .. Religion is a way of life.

Literally the definition of religion at the end there, it's about having a codified set of beliefs that guide you in everyday life. I have no issue with that concept whatsoever, and people who think "all wars = religion" are making the most massive stretch ever and also run into the same issue as people who misquote marx.

Religion is the opium of the masses, because the masses are crushed by capitalist exploitation, the kind celebrated by libertarians.

Not all wars are religious, in the modern day the military-industrial complex enables and seeks to take part in war far more than religious fervour motivates conflict. Prior to that, what is labelled "Islamic" terrorism can and arguably should be primarily considered as a political act rather than a religious one. Religion is used as a convenient way to shape the narrative of "the War on Terror", but it isn't a primary factor in creating and sustaining the conflict as far as I am concerned. "All wars are religiously motivated" = "I am good at being directed to look for something, finding it by stretching/relying on an overarching narrative which probably doesn't really apply, and then retroactively applying it to even more things which I don't know anything about"

is it real ? Yes

Is it fake ? Some are

agreed

I feel this needs some sort of documentation / proof / reasoning.

let's not be 13 years old and say "please prove your religion is one correct truth" or whatever, let's accept that people hold religious beliefs which exclude the possibility of other religious beliefs.

Its toxic.

that actually does need some receipts though. hard to have any kind of coherent opinion that i'm going to respect on a subject as broad as religion in a sweeping 2 word statement like that.

The U.S. does this too much. Things like trying to ban gay marriage and abortion just because the bible is against them. One of my favorite quotes comes into play here : "We placed our hand on the bible and swore to uphold the Constitution, we did not place our hand on the constitution and swear to uphold the bible." - Brian Sims. Politics + Religion = Bad. Don't even get me started on theocracies.

For me, religion is a way of life. in judaism we are learning to treat people, why it's bad to be angry, gossiping (lashon hara), be alyways happy even if bad things happened and such...

We don't hate atheists or non-jews. we are not allowed to force them to belive in our religion, but we are allowed to convince them, and politely.

So what i think about religion (at least judaism) is that it's a great thing, that can be very useful.

That's why i don't understand atheists that hate religion so much. they think they are 100% right and that's fine because i also strongly belive in god, but atleast don't offend the belifes of other people. anyone that says there shouldn't be religion on the world, it's like i'll say that there should not be atheism.

it's like i'll say that there should not be atheism.

Last time they did that, America was founded. Before that thousands were murdered or exiled.

Religion doesn't teach you morals or common sense.  Life with other people teaches you these things.  Here's an example: The bible endorses slavery.  You don't own slaves and you know slavery is wrong.  You didn't learn that from the bible.  You learned it from other people.  You're probably under the mistaken impression that god is the source of morality.  Morality is actually just a result of people living in groups as part of their survival strategy.  The group survival strategy turns out to be crucial for human survival, and it would not work if people within the group were killing and stealing from eachother all the time.  The fittest to survive were the ones who treated eachother well so that the group would be able to stay together and remain relatively healthy and successful.  In other words, morality is something that came about through evolution and that it is still evolving today.  A few hundred years ago, people still thought slavery was okay, and they used the bible to support it.  We now rightly consider slavery to be immoral.

I need proof that religion created morals and common sense

>protip: there is none; it didn't

For me, religion is a way of life. in judaism we are learning to treat people, why it's bad to be angry, gossiping (lashon hara), be alyways happy even if bad things happened and such...

We don't hate atheists or non-jews. we are not allowed to force them to belive in our religion, but we are allowed to convince them, and politely.

So what i think about religion (at least judaism) is that it's a great thing, that can be very useful.

I have no problems with people like you who just privately practice your religion and keep to themselves about it. It is a policy of many religions, however, to convert viciously and aggressively, often by the sword. As I stated, why bother do away with friendly, peaceful religions that do no harm to the world?

That's why i don't understand atheists that hate religion so much. they think they are 100% right and that's fine because i also strongly belive in god, but atleast don't offend the belifes of other people. anyone that says there shouldn't be religion on the world, it's like i'll say that there should not be atheism.

This is where I disagree. Your first point is very understandable and agreeable: why hate anything, leastly something that encapsulates probably a majority of the world? And it would, of course be stupid to give out about confident non-believers, especially if you are a confident believer. However I disagree with your other statement.

Most people who disagree with religion are non-violent. This is a very, very, large and vast majority. However, on the other side of the camp, many people who are religious and disagree with atheism and other religions are violent. We all know it, and you and everyone else should accept that. How can this violence end? Well, laws against violence do not work; many of these heinous crimes against humanity are in wars, and what crime is war? Religion is the root of this. I don't suggest ending religion. In fact, it's a human tendency; many modern philosophers (and lay men) reckon that religion is a mechanism for power. Most religions become more liberal over time to be more followable in the public eye; such is how they seek more power and influence in society - and therefore, money.

Do not doubt it for a second. Money runs the world, and religion is no exception. The God question is up to yourself, but the influence of religion on earth is a much more simple matter that can safely be brought to agreement as a bad thing.

Archived