Official Poll: Do you want plugs gone from status updates?

polar

"Plugs" - links to a person's own outpost / bazaar trades  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should we remove "plugs" from status updates?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other

"Plug" - link to a person's own outpost / bazaar profile page or specific trade

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, but this website caters to the community and if people feel strongly about getting rid of them, then we are willing to listen. I can certainly see how they can be annoying. There are frequently very relevant / important posts in status updates, and it is very annoying when spam or plugs quickly wipe them off the front page. They also tend to dilute the useful posts in status updates and make it harder to find important posts.

Anyways, please give voice to your opinions here. Do you want plugs gone? I'd love to hear why you feel strongly one way or the other in comments below. Just please avoid comments like, "yes, please," as that is simply redundant.

Nothing wrong with them, just when people post like 5 in an hour. *COUGH COUGH jody*

Nothing wrong with them, just when people post like 5 in an hour. *COUGH COUGH jody*

We can't realistically have it both ways. I, at least, am unwilling to moderate things that closely and actually count how many times someone has posted in x amount of time. It will have to be either all or none here.

They really serve no purpose imo because when you plug a trade, either the whole entire community spams your trade or you get no business at all.

Sshh, I don't use it for posting links to my trades or anything. xD

But seriously, it is quite useful for gaining publicity on your trade.

I personally don't mind, it brings trades to my attention, which I find interesting, and users might feel it brings attention to their trades, helping them sell. 

But you're right it can bring down important questions and information. Users go there to quickly ask for advice on a trade, to notify when there are hijacked unusuals, sometimes there are PSAs , etc

I just dont like that there at times very useless, textbook, spam status updates. That dont serve any purpose. As an example, earlier someone posted the word "cookie" and that was it. 

I don't mind bazaar auctions because that's just generating bids, but people that plug the same unusual(s) day in and day out are highly annoying...especially when they're asking full price to people on these forums...like seriously its never gonna happen.

I guess I'm indifferent overall though. Just specify that its a plug and I'm fine. No sneakiness, that's where I think warnings should apply.

I dont really mind them, however, they should be limited to like 2 a day so people dont go around spamming plugs every 15 minutes

I don't mind bazaar auctions because that's just generating bids, but people that plug the same unusual(s) day in and day out are highly annoying...especially when they're asking full price to people on these forums...like seriously its never gonna happen.

I guess I'm indifferent overall though. Just specify that its a plug and I'm fine. No sneakiness, that's where I think warnings should apply.

I dont really mind them, however, they should be limited to like 2 a day so people dont go around spamming plugs every 15 minutes

I can agree with the sentiment here. But we can't really moderate status updates since there is no warning system for them. So we can't really fine tune the rules as you are suggesting. It would really have to be an all-or-none kind of deal. If the plugs are to stay, we cannot realistically warn all the people with deceptive posts or make official limitations on the number of plugs per day.

I dont mind them, and thus I have voted no.

In the thread, you say you are unbiased and then start criticising plugs. Doesn't that make you biased?

Y u do dis baer

maybe a separate status update block just for plugs?

I hate it when Im asking whether I should take a deal or not then my post instantly gets shoved off by 5 straight plugs :/, other than that I dont really mind them

I dont mind them, and thus I have voted no.

In the thread, you say you are unbiased and then start criticising plugs. Doesn't that make you biased?

Y u do dis baer

I created a poll and the decision is not mine to make. It belongs to the community. Those criticisms were provided to me by members of the community who have constantly been complaining to me and other mods about plugs. I want to know if it is a vocal minority or if there is some sort of consensus that we need to pay attention to.

Personally, I don't care because I don't often pay attention to status updates.

Nah. Very helpful for getting some extra attention to your trade. If someone gets annoyed by a plug that's their own problem. I think there should be an option to toggle off post from a user if you feel that it's not what you want to be seeing imo.

Cant you just add an option in the settings, toggle plugs on/off ?? Add a filter for op, bazaar and tf2tp trade links

There are classifieds and sub-forum for this type of posts. Not mentioning all the different trading sites. I'm voting for removal.

I don't really see the status updates as places for truly serious discussion. I really have no problem with plugs although doing it more than once an hour is just a waste of time.

There are classifieds and sub-forum for this type of posts. Not mentioning all the different trading sites. I'm voting for removal.

Plugs are advertisements to gain audience, they arent trades themself :3

I propose you may only "plug" the same trade once. Sometimes the stuff in them is interesting, but I don't need/want to see it 10 times. I also propose you must say something along the lines of "plug." No more stupid misleading captions or captionless links

Bucket: How are you planning to enforce such rule?

Bone: Makes sense. But this forum is full of "power traders". IMO, it's just waste of time to even post a plug.

Hopefully people monitor each other/themselves. 

Only leads to people whining about others who don't get caught.

Bucket: How are you planning to enforce such rule?

Bone: Makes sense. But this forum is full of "power traders". IMO, it's just waste of time to even post a plug.

I dont get what you mean by power traders

What i said to polar, we can add a toggle to enable/disable showing plugs

Archived