What problems do Religions people have with Athiests?

Yeahy

I don't hate religious people. I hate when they try to shove their beliefs that I disagree with down my throat. If someone isn't of your religion or is of no religion... Stop trying to convert us. THAT'S why you get hated.

This isn't even the fucking question, you're the exact kind of idiot that we're complaining about

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't even the fucking question, you're the exact kind of idiot that we're complaining about

I'm an idiot for having a right to not want to be force-fed beliefs that contradict my own? Please, do tell me more.

I'm an idiot for having a right to not want to be force-fed beliefs that contradict my own? Please, do tell me more.

1. You're not even responding to the question that was asked.

2. You're the kind of atheist that assumes that any post that involves "religious people" and "atheism" is obviously talking about how atheists feel towards religious people. You seem to think that atheists are some oppressed minority and you're fighting an uphill battle against the evil Christians who want to oppress you. Why, man? Have Christians actually ever tried to convert you? Or has your 5th grade teacher said the "under god" part of the pledge of allegiance and you assume that they are trying to convert you, it's just ridiculous

3. Furthermore, you want to talk about being force fed religion, atheists have the biggest problem of this. Do you even use the internet?

1. You're not even responding to the question that was asked.

2. You're the kind of atheist that assumes that any post that involves "religious people" and "atheism" is obviously talking about how atheists feel towards religious people. You seem to think that atheists are some oppressed minority and you're fighting an uphill battle against the evil Christians who want to oppress you. Why, man? Have Christians actually ever tried to convert you? Or has your 5th grade teacher said the "under god" part of the pledge of allegiance and you assume that they are trying to convert you, it's just ridiculous

3. Furthermore, you want to talk about being force fed religion, atheists have the biggest problem of this. Do you even use the internet?

1. I'm contributing to the discussion, so chill.

2. I never said that, I just thought I'd add my opinion. I never said I was oppressed, and to answer your question, yes Christians have tried to convert me, and I don't appreciate it. They have their beliefs, I had mine. I never said I had a problem with those of faith or actual faiths. AND, I never said Christians specifically. Any person of faith who tries to convert or spread their beliefs to me, I find annoying. However, it is predominately individuals of Christian/Catholic faiths that do this. Once again, calm down. 

3. I'm stating a reason why some atheists do not like fervent people of faith.

1. I'm contributing to the discussion, so chill.

2. I never said that, I just thought I'd add my opinion. I never said I was oppressed, and to answer your question, yes Christians have tried to convert me, and I don't appreciate it. They have their beliefs, I had mine. I never said I had a problem with those of faith or actual faiths. AND, I never said Christians specifically. Any person of faith who tries to convert or spread their beliefs to me, I find annoying. However, it is predominately individuals of Christian/Catholic faiths that do this. Once again, calm down. 

3. I'm stating a reason why some atheists do not like fervent people of faith.

1. Sure...

2. Yeah, okay, whatever... In what context did they try to convert you

3. Start a thread about that then

1. Sure...

2. Yeah, okay, whatever... In what context did they try to convert you

3. Start a thread about that then

1. Yup.

2. Almost every day when I walk past the Mormon temple to school, I get lectures from people there. Missionaries come around my neighborhood every few weeks trying to convert people.

3. no

I dont think that religious people have a big problem with athiests rather a problem with other religions(not saying all people in all religions, just a guess)

The revelations from Gabrial to him were written and gathered after he died.

Actually Quran was gathered during the prophet Mohammed's life unlike bible.

As long as religion doesn't fuck with education, science and politics im fine with it. 

This. Sadly, it tends to do.

As long as religion dont fuck with education, science and politics im fine with it.

Most of the better educational institutes are religious in nature. I think most universities are religious in origin. catholic highschools send 98% of its students to college. Princeton, Harvard and many others like them were started as seminaries to train pastors.

So I'm asking what problems religious people have with us and what we do.

As an orthodox jew i can tell you it's just some ingorances that think god hate them since they don't belive him, and it's clearly a false and god told us to love everyone includes non-jews since we also weren't jews on egypt.

torah "was" a holy book

heh, your religion admits that we got the torah from god and our religion is right. and to make it false, the quran says we changed the torah and because of this our book isn't trusted.

heh, your religion admits that we got the torah from god and our religion is right. and to make it false, the quran says we changed the torah and because of this our book isn't trusted.

we also believe in bible .. we believe all the past religions ,, most of them got changed/scripted/spoiled ,, so islam came as the last religion and told us to leave the rest and stick with it and God promised to keep it from getting changed

Nothing, it's just problems that stupid people have, both atheïst and religious. But Judaism, Christianity and Islam share many aspects, but they're not the same at all. Humans and whales share many aspects, they're not the same.

Most of the better educational institutes are religious in nature. I think most universities are religious in origin. catholic highschools send 98% of its students to college. Princeton, Harvard and many others like them were started as seminaries to train pastors.

I attended a Lutheran Private School (I believe they are called public schools in the UK). The religion aspect didn't effect any of the curriculum, which is what I meant when I said education.

You should do some research before posting...

Edit:

basic summary of differences

Islamic: Instead of 'god" they call him allah and have very defined rules in carrying out the word of god. Instead of bible they have the quran written by the prophet Mohammad. They have many prophets and dont believe jesus was the son of god but a great prophet.

Judaism: They believe they are god's chosen people, promised land...etc

Christianity: A focus more on the teachings of jesus and he is the son of god who died for our sins...etc dont really need to explain here

So yes, if you look at the big picture they all technically do worship the same god all come from the same origin.

Hope i didnt offend anyone by making such a very very rough summary...

Quran wasnt written by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), the Quran is god's words. Chrisrians have the trinity, we dont. I'm not sure what jews have but i heard they believe someone called Uzair is the son of god.

I'm not sure what jews have but i heard they believe someone called Uzair is the son of god.

No we are not.

What was the source of the guy you heard it from him? the quran 9:30?

The Jews say, "Ezra is the son of Allah "; and the Christians say, "The Messiah is the son of Allah ." That is their statement from their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved [before them]. May Allah destroy them; how are they deluded?

http://quran.com/9

I think atheists who preach that there is no god should shut up. I think atheists who preach that there is no reason to believe in a god should be listened to.

My reasons for a lack of belief (I'm one of the latter, although I would not even consider preaching outwards as if I was an areligious evangelist):

I accept that there is no current proof nor possibility of proof in a god.

I present to myself, stemming from the previous reason, that there is no more chance of having a god than there is that there is an invisible floating teapot orbiting elliptically around the planet Mars.

Furthermore, I see no more objective reason to believe in a god than Russell's flying teapot, the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Yoda from Star Wars.

I don't know any reasons why religious people would choose to believe in a god other than they are familiar with it, but as a skeptic I will keep an open mind.

The problem is, there is sort of two 'Branches' of Atheism.

The first is the people who dedicate themselves to bash religion and make others atheists.

The second is the people who simply do not believe there is a god, and don't care if others believe in it, and are completely fine with others beliefs (This branch includes me)

The problem is, there is sort of two 'Branches' of Atheism.

The first is the people who dedicate themselves to bash religion and make others atheists.

The second is the people who simply do not believe there is a god, and don't care if others believe in it, and are completely fine with others beliefs (This branch includes me)

dat humble self promoting

That's bullshit, there are no "branches" of atheism you're either an irreligious evangelist or you're not and to be quite honest the religious evangelists are far far worse (see the crusades, 9/11, Boko Haram, Palestine/Gaza Strip etc. the list goes on)...

First of all, every religious person who believes in god(s) is an atheist with respect to every other god aside from the one(s) that they personally believe in.  They're just taking the position that their particular faith is the correct one and every other faith is wrong.  My point is that it's pretty shaky ground to be on.

Secondly, what an atheist does is basically take the step of saying that belief in something without proper evidence is irrational.  Religious people point to their holy books and to other anecdotal evidence, but for an atheist, this is unreliable.  Atheists have higher standards for evidence, and that's where the main point of contention is (aside from certain major religions condoning things which are widely considered to be immoral such as slavery or pedophilia).  When an atheist points this out, the reaction from some of the less enlightened people can be to cry persecution, when in reality the "faithful" make up the majority of the population and their religions are supported with tax exemption and social acceptance while atheism is often met with hatred and derision.

And this is nothing new.  Christians in particular are very good at crying persecution and seeing conspiracies.  One only has to read the bible to understand why.

It's saddening to see that it has been close to 400 years since the birth of The Enlightenment and we are still trying to pull some people out of their Dark Ages mentality.

Archived