Laptops, Ultrabooks and MacBooks

✔ P I X E L A T E D ✔

Well maybe you shouldn't sit on your laptop. It won't be so painful then.

endless likes

Ah ultrabooks. That's basically just a laptop with a fancy new name, right? Well I think I could merge this thread with the ultrabook one then.^^

Woifi | Merge

But in terms a Ultrabook is a specification and brand developed by Intel for a class of high-end subnotebooks which are designed to feature reduced bulk without compromising performance and battery life. They use low-power Intel Core processors, solid-state drives, and unibody chassis to help meet these criteria.[1] Due to their limited size, they typically omit common laptop features such asoptical disc drives and Ethernet ports.[2] They were created to compete with Apple's Macbook Air notebooks as the PC's counterpart.

Or: A macbook air version on windows.

Woifi | Merge

But in terms a Ultrabook is a specification and brand developed by Intel for a class of high-end subnotebooks which are designed to feature reduced bulk without compromising performance and battery life. They use low-power Intel Core processors, solid-state drives, and unibody chassis to help meet these criteria.[1] Due to their limited size, they typically omit common laptop features such asoptical disc drives and Ethernet ports.[2] They were created to compete with Apple's Macbook Air notebooks as the PC's counterpart.

Or: A macbook air version on windows.

Ah ok, sounds like the thing I want. :D Merge!!

Anything BUT One of those apple things. Sorry demopan, owned/still own several Apple products, but it really isn't worth your money. Our poor mod also only had 1000 to spend max, and a piece of paper with an apple logo would be around 1500. And it wouldn't be able to play any music either. So I'd suggest a Lenovo. Not too expensive, not the best of the best, but for normal people who want a decent thing to use (which I guess is what woifi is describing hos laptop use as) you don't need top end. So a cheaper Asian brand would be my suggestion. Also gives better customer support than those American companies. But my own pc runs on vista, and I'm anything but an expert.

Anything BUT One of those apple things. Sorry demopan, owned/still own several Apple products, but it really isn't worth your money. Our poor mod also only had 1000 to spend max, and a piece of paper with an apple logo would be around 1500. And it wouldn't be able to play any music either. So I'd suggest a Lenovo. Not too expensive, not the best of the best, but for normal people who want a decent thing to use (which I guess is what woifi is describing hos laptop use as) you don't need top end. So a cheaper Asian brand would be my suggestion. Also gives better customer support than those American companies. But my own pc runs on vista, and I'm anything but an expert.

I COMPLETELY AGREE pertaining to the macs. Though I do love my mac like my brother, I can't help but being annoyed and frustrated at times when gaming. This coming from an avid apple fan, do not buy any macbook airs. ANY. They are terrible for gaming, and you compromise that for having a somewhat lighter load on your arms when carrying it around. Spend about 1.5k on my macbook air, and though it is a beautiful machine, elegant in every way but gaming, it simply won't cut it. Here's to give y'all an idea about my experience w/ TF2 on a mac.

-Start up steam, no probs there. Actually a bit faster than the average desktop. 

-Start up TF2. Go outside, check the mail, come back in, drink some water, sit back down, and TF2 just loads. Annoying, but not THAT bad. Forces you to be productive in that 5 minutes of waiting for Tf2 to start. 

-Immediately hear the high pitched whiney fans of this slab of aluminum go off. They're quiet and barely noticeable at first, but once you open the servers tab, they pick up.

-Join a server, takes a normal amount of time. Sipping some drinks while you wait for it to connect, then you think an jet is in the room.

-Oh-wait-that's just the fans. Sounding like a Boeing 747 on full turbine speed just when connecting to a server forced me to get a high end microphone for match comms.

-Once playing, you get a comfortable 20 fps on minimal graphics settings! If streaming or recording, you get a WHOPPING 7.

Yep. Asus is the way to go, mates. Not Mac. 

The only reasonable macbook is the newest macbookpro w/ retina display. Its specs are somewhat respectable for a laptop.

I bought my AW (now Dell) laptop just because of the on-site repair. I don't wanna send any HP/ Asus laptops to the factory and wait for like weeks or even a month to complete the repair, it will surely make me impatient :/

HP ENVY Ultrabook 6. It has 2 different variants iirc, check that out. I own one myself and I do not regret buying it.

i got my Acer Asipire 5750G laptop for like 530 euro's 2 years ago and it still functions and launches games like a boss :D

I have this shitty Gateway faptop lapburner that's falling apart.

sxsMs8k.png
 It can get up to 60c if i play a flash game.  The Integrated card is a Radeon HD 4200, which is also terrible.  So even if i wanted to play the really low quality games i'd have a hard time.   I do have a PC that can run games so it doesn't really matter that much; but sometimes you just wanna lay in bed instead of sitting on a chair, yanno?

First world problems

If your planning to play games I highly reccomend the Lenovo Y500/Y400. Otherthan that, I have no idea :P

This guy knows what he's talking about. Y500 is excellent for gaming, can run even skyrim and JC2 on high for a constant 60FPS. If you want to splurge, get a Y580 when it's on sale, to get a bit more power under the hood and staying in your budget.

This guy knows what he's talking about. Y500 is excellent for gaming, can run even skyrim and JC2 on high for a constant 60FPS. If you want to splurge, get a Y580 when it's on sale, to get a bit more power under the hood and staying in your budget.

My friend told me about this. Is the the one that can have dual 650Ms for under 1000? 

I really don't know why people would buy (whispers)alienware when you have bargains like this. 

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-NP300E5C-S06DE-Notebook-NVIDIA-schwarz/dp/B009S77A72/

Thinking about taking that one. As I said I don't want to play skyrim on my notebook, just tf2.^^ It just costs 500€, not 900.^^

Edit: The uk link for all those english people here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-NP300E5C-S06DE-Notebook-NVIDIA-schwarz/dp/B009S77A72/

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-NP300E5C-S06DE-Notebook-NVIDIA-schwarz/dp/B009S77A72/

Thinking about taking that one. As I said I don't want to play skyrim on my notebook, just tf2.^^ It just costs 500€, not 900.^^

Edit: The uk link for all those english people here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-NP300E5C-S06DE-Notebook-NVIDIA-schwarz/dp/B009S77A72/

GT 620M

One word for you: No. That is a horrible idea, don't go with it. Hell, I think TF2 would lag on that.

Try the Y500 mentioned above. If I had known about it when I bought my lappy, I would have taken it. 

GT 620M

One word for you: No. That is a horrible idea, don't go with it. Hell, I think TF2 would lag on that.

Try the Y500 mentioned above. If I had known about it when I bought my lappy, I would have taken it. 

That's almost 400€ price difference. I don't really want a gaming laptop just to play tf2. A friend told me 620 would run tf2 easily even if 640 would be better.

I'm sure if you're not expecting to max it out, then it should be fine.

There's a little known secret that TF2 can run on intigrated graphics *sound of people gasping*

But seriously, I have a Acer aspire somthing yada yada yada (Model: 4752-6449 for those who care) and it runs TF2 at a constant 30 fps. Considering I spent 600 CAD on it ist not that bad. It does have an ssd in it which helps with its speed. I haven't heard Acer's name thrown out there but I've haven't had any bad experiences with the company, but maybe I'm lucky. If you dont mind a low storage compacity of carring a externial hard drive however, I would reccomend installing an ssd into the machine. It makes programs run, or at least start up run much faster.

Of cource I know nothing about computers so I could be talking out of my a**. That's why I'm going to learn this stuff over the summer.

Archived