Your opinion as a religion as a whole

Ward - MvM Anyone?

Your opinion on religion  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Any religion

• Who cares, as long as it doesn't bother me or my family/friends then I don't care. Live and let live.
    • Bullcrap, the fact that so many people base their lives on books is astounding.
    • It does more harm than good (wars, discrimination etc)
    • It does more good than harm (Confronting, accepting etc)

I dont have problem with atheism or any religion except islam.

Theres nothing wrong with Islam. The problem is the leaders of islam following governments. People as individuals are generally good people, its the governments that fuck everything up. 

Technically, Christianity and Islam are both Jewish heresies. Although, the first occupants of the area would have been Punic/Hellenic pagans.

Of course this didn't stop people from using Crusade/Jihad/Holy War as a casus belli for conquering the place. There's been no ruler for millennia who wasn't a conquering state. Even Israel itself annexed part of Jerusalem.

most likley not true. " After the Romans finally defeated Carthage and totally destroyed the city, they engaged in post-war propaganda to make their arch enemies seem cruel and less civilized" the Romans had great use in making the Carthaginians look bad, child sacrifice was most likely never truly a thing. 

It's short sighted to single out any religion to hate on. They all basically preach the same thing, which as far as I can tell is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" which basically means treat people right and hopefully other people will be nice back.

The real con is believing a divine being transposes her moral authority on you, where you have no real choice in what's right or wrong. The idea that you aren't a convicted rapist or murderer because you were read the bible when you were 4 is absurd. I'm not saying the ten commandments are wrong, or bad, or whatever, I just don't need to be told not to murder people, or fuck my neighbour's wife.

You know, in a confession box (in the Catholic faith), a confessed child rapist can run free, however a woman who confesses to an abortion must be spoken about to the local bishop :/ if that isn't bullshit then I don't know what is.

Religions are just people trying to predict how the World was created.

Im not going to base my life on something like that, but I respect people doing it

Religion is a man made concept, full of myths and lies

Exactly this. I can't repeat that enough times.

So is Justice and Happiness, as well. This is the truth guys!

The real con is believing a divine being transposes her moral authority on you, where you have no real choice in what's right or wrong. 

Ohohohoho you'd better prepare for the shitstorm.

most likley not true. " After the Romans finally defeated Carthage and totally destroyed the city, they engaged in post-war propaganda to make their arch enemies seem cruel and less civilized" the Romans had great use in making the Carthaginians look bad, child sacrifice was most likely never truly a thing. 

"Nevertheless, several apparent "Tophets" have been identified, chiefly a large one in Carthage, dubbed the "Tophet of Salammbó", after the neighbourhood where it was unearthed in 1921."

"Sites within Carthage and other Phoenician centers revealed the remains of infants and children in large numbers"

""Tophet" is a term derived from the Bible, used to refer to a site near Jerusalem in which Canaanites and Israelites sacrificed children."

"The Bible does not specify that the Israelite victims were buried, only burned, although the "place of burning" was probably adjacent to the place of burial. Indeed, soil in the Tophet of Salammbó was found to be full of olive wood charcoal, probably from the sacrificial pyres."

"Animal remains, mostly sheep and goats, found inside some of the Tophet urns strongly suggest that this was not a burial ground for children who died prematurely. The animals were sacrificed to the gods, presumably in place of children (one surviving inscription refers to the animal as "a substitute"). It is conjectured that the children unlucky enough not to have substitutes were also sacrificed and then buried in the Tophet.

Archaeologists have also discovered evidence of child sacrifice in Sardinia and Sicily. At Motiya, an island off Sicily which was home to a large Phoenician colony, the bones of children buried in the local sanctuary belonged to male children under the age of five. There was no evidence of disease in the bones that survived cremation."

Interesting that the Bible mentions child sacrifice (probably as part of propaganda) , but no civilization/tribe outside the classical known world is mentioned, such as the Native Americans, Chinese, Japanese, and the Norse/Finnish peoples.

Theres nothing wrong with Islam. The problem is the leaders of islam following governments. People as individuals are generally good people, its the governments that fuck everything up. 

The quran says that their redemption will not happen until they will kill us, which is why i feel i cant really trust the islam. but you are probably right.

our govermant is sometimes bad as well. yitzhak rabin given the judea and samaria, almost half of our country to the terrorists (which is why he were assassinated), and now we cant get them back. and if we will try to do it, the world will say that we are terrorists.

I'm not sure how to solve the problem with the arabs, because as long as the arabs own the judea and samaria, the israelis will still think that making peace with the arabs is not fair for us. But if we will have them again, usa and many other countries which is friendly to us would think we are terrorists.

religion is fine, it establishes a base set of morals and provides a decent incentive to follow these morals

it also provides an answer to many, instead of saying "I dont know", it says "cuz God", which is fine as well

religion starts to take a downfall when the fundamentals are abused by its followers, and religion is forced into people's lives without them having any control over it

Im fine not giving a crap about religion, its when the crazy minority seems to outweigh the sane majority when Im forced to care

religion itself does not cause war or love, because it is a concept (an Idea or belief). People cause war and discrimination and people can chose to love one another and wether or not they use religion to justify those choices is a mute point. Many of the wars you are refreing to were lead by corrupt officials that chose to use the Religion to justify what they were doing (I.E kings saying they are divine so do what they say or suffer the wrath of god).

It's ok that people pratice their beliefs, live and let live.

religion itself does not cause war or love, because it is a concept (an Idea or belief). People cause war and discrimination and people can chose to love one another and wether or not they use religion to justify those choices is a mute point. Many of the wars you are refreing to were lead by corrupt officials that chose to use the Religion to justify what they were doing (I.E kings saying they are divine so do what they say or suffer the wrath of god).It's ok that people pratice their beliefs, live and let live.

Kings had feudal vassals who would provide the bulk of an army for them. They could have easily revolted if they wanted to. It was the Pope/Caliph who would call for any major holy war, although Kings did fight wars to forcefully convert a populace however, and even employed holy orders to do it.

ummm excuse me, but guns cause wars, not people.

What caused wars before the invention of the gun then? A gun cannot operate by itself, either.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an atheist, border-lining on an anti-theist. Religion, more specifically Christianity, has become somewhat of a cancer on society, turning people into these stupid, mindless drones that hate on anyone that doesn't agree with them. Bare in mind, I'm not generalizing Christians at all. In fact, quite a few of my friends are Christian and they're pretty swell people. It's just that people REALLY need to stop taking religion seriously.

• 1 month later...

They're all the same religion really. God is god, Jesus is God, Jesus is prophet of Islam, Jesus is a Jew, Jesus is God, Jesus kills himself, for himself, for me, and Allah is god. It's confusing stuff!

Confusing and astounding illogical.

Jesus kills himself for himself so that we're not responsible for sins that we commit(ed)? Right...

This issue is explained brilliantly HERE, if anyone is interested.

Honestly, Christians in general are annoying, but I've never met a worse bunch than Southern Baptists. Good god, my ex's mom was such a freak. 

Other than that, the only religion I really have a problem with is mormonism, coming from a mormon family. My dad left the church 3 years ago, then my mom followed and then me and my little brother. Not saying anything bad about the people (ok, they're pretty annoying too), but the religion itself is so full of shit. Most - if not all - of the general authorities don't believe in the church. These men running this corporation, bound by money and fame, keep it going because the "people need it". 

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/3006014/posts

Kinda makes me sick to think that I once believed this stuff, but when you're spoonfed lies as a child by your elders you don't really have a choice in the matter.

Archived