Using God in Official National Stuff

A Cyan Stone in Mustard

So I was wondering about this. Why do we have "In God we Trust" on American money and "God keep our land; glorious and free" in the Canadian anthem when a lot of people living in these countries don't believe in god?

Did you know that I am officially unable to be elected to office in my home state, Texas?

Article 1 of the Texas bill of rights:

Sec. 4. RELIGIOUS TESTS. No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Did you know that I am officially unable to be elected to office in my home state, Texas?

Article 1 of the Texas bill of rights:

Sec. 4. RELIGIOUS TESTS. No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Yup, here in texas you definitely can choose to follow any religion. Not being forced whatsoever

Yup, here in texas you definitely can choose to follow any religion. Not being forced whatsoever

I thought you lived in Jakarta?

The following applies to America only:

Because, regardless of what ignorant atheists and liberals say and believe, America WAS founded upon Christian morals and beliefs. Why do you think that money says "In God we trust"? Why do you think that to be sworn in for ANY federal civil position (judge, president, law enforcement - the list is endless) you must say an oath that ends with, "so help me God."? Our pledge of allegiance contains the phrase "one nation under God." Which book are you required to place your right hand on when being sworn into office or being a witness in court? I'll give you a hint.. It ain't the Quran. Or the Book of Mormon (lol).

Yes, the first amendment to the constitution contains the establishment clause which creates a wall of separation between church and state, however you are just stupid if you say that "America wasn't founded upon Christian beliefs and morals," because it most certainly was. The earliest examples of this can be seen from LITERALLY when the colonists stepped off the boat into the new world. The church was the first building built in every settlement and it served as the meeting place and center of the colony. Flash foward to the establishment of the nation and the constitutional period, the country was founded not forcing religion on anybody, but it certainly was founded on Christain beliefs. If you still don't believe me, I'll leave you with this. If the nation wasn't founded on Christian morals, why has homosexuality been taboo nationwide until the last ~75 years or so? Why is prostitution even illegal?

The following applies to America only:

Because, regardless of what ignorant atheists and liberals say and believe, America WAS founded upon Christian morals and beliefs. Why do you think that money says "In God we trust"? Why do you think that to be sworn in for ANY federal civil position (judge, president, law enforcement - the list is endless) you must say an oath that ends with, "so help me God."? Our pledge of allegiance contains the phrase "one nation under God." Which book are you required to place your right hand on when being sworn into office or being a witness in court? I'll give you a hint.. It ain't the Quran. Or the Book of Mormon (lol).

Yes, the first amendment to the constitution contains the establishment clause which creates a wall of separation between church and state, however you are just stupid if you say that "America wasn't founded upon Christian beliefs and morals," because it most certainly was. The earliest examples of this can be seen from LITERALLY when the colonists stepped off the boat into the new world. The church was the first building built in every settlement and it served as the meeting place and center of the colony. Flash foward to the establishment of the nation and the constitutional period, the country was founded not forcing religion on anybody, but it certainly was founded on Christain beliefs. If you still don't believe me, I'll leave you with this. If the nation wasn't founded on Christian morals, why has homosexuality been taboo nationwide until the last ~75 years or so? Why is prostitution even illegal?

Not like First Nations exist or anything ya' know.

Its because everybody was either Christian or persecuted back then

Back then yeah

Why don't we just change it?

America is changing useless shit like changing Fisherman to Fisher and Freshman to First Year (Cause anti-sexism thinks this of all things should be changed).

Also, why don't we change it?

Back then yeah

Why don't we just change it?

America is changing useless shit like changing Fisherman to Fisher and Freshman to First Year (Cause anti-sexism thinks this of all things should be changed)

I've never heard first year... And I see fisherman more than fisher.

Back on topic, "Under God" didn't use to be in the pledge. Forgot when, but they changed it sometime in the 20th century I believe. Up until recently, Christianity was even more of a religious "superpower" in America. Now Islam, Judaism, the flying spaghetti monster, and other religions have become much more widespread. Most people still believe in one God, whether they call Him God or not. I don't see them changing it soon however.

I've never heard first year... And I see fisherman more than fisher.

Back on topic, "Under God" didn't use to be in the pledge. Forgot when, but they changed it sometime in the 20th century I believe. Up until recently, Christianity was even more of a religious "superpower" in America. Now Islam, Judaism, the flying spaghetti monster, and other religions have become much more widespread. Most people still believe in one God, whether they call Him God or not. I don't see them changing it soon however.

Well aside from America, what about Canada's anthem. Kids in schools around the entire country have to sing it, not all schools, but still there are public non-religious schools that do this.

People who don't believe in God being forced to say "God keep our land; glorious and free" isn't politically correct. Should we still wait longer for it to change?

And before someone says "Nobody cares about Canada" keep in mind that Brad and Bucket are from Canada so...

So I was wondering about this. Why do we have "In God we Trust" on American money and "God keep our land; glorious and free" in the Canadian anthem when a lot of people living in these countries don't believe in god?

Just because "a lot" of people do not believe in God doesn't mean that the they are all radical atheists that loathe to mention or even acknowledge a higher intelligence. Many people still believe in "a God" and even those who do not believe are ok with mentioning God.

Well aside from America, what about Canada's anthem. Kids in schools around the entire country have to sing it, not all schools, but still there are public non-religious schools that do this.

People who don't believe in God being forced to say "God keep our land; glorious and free" isn't politically correct. Should we still wait longer for it to change?

And before someone says "Nobody cares about Canada" keep in mind that Brad and Bucket are from Canada so...

What is the problem with an "unbeliever" being taught to memorize/recite various patriotic anthems that make mention of God? Shouldn't they be focusing more on their national heritage rather than the word "God"? As an American, I find it embarassing when a fellow citizen is offended by our national heritage.

It just seems so strange how radical activist atheists get in such a fuss about being "forced" to acknowledge "God" in various civil matters. On one hand, they would find it very offensive if you called their atheism a "religion" (with science as their "god"). But on the other hand, they certainly act like religious zealots, demanding religious liberties and becoming offended when having to acknowledge beliefs other than their own.

words

Actually, many of the founding fathers were deists, not Christians. While there is debate over who were deists and how much so, many of the speeches and writings of the time were influenced by Enlightenment ideals, which included a lot deist influence.

Do not call other people stupid--not only does it run counter to the atmosphere of this forum, it weakens your arguments and makes you look bad. This is a verbal warning.

words

The language we use does have an effect on how we perceive and process culture. I took an entire class on the very subject, and saying "fireman" instead of "firefighter" or "fisherman" instead of "fisher" is exclusionary and narrow-minded.

It is exactly that sort of limited traditionalism that keeps references to God so prevalent. People can become so afraid of change that they aren't willing to adjust when a minority becomes a majority and the current way no longer represents everyone properly

The language we use does have an effect on how we perceive and process culture. I took an entire class on the very subject, and saying "fireman" instead of "firefighter" or "fisherman" instead of "fisher" is exclusionary and narrow-minded.

It is exactly that sort of limited traditionalism that keeps references to God so prevalent. People can become so afraid of change that they aren't willing to adjust when a minority becomes a majority and the current way no longer represents everyone properly

Oh my soul, I just can't take it anymore. That kind of junk being taught in American universities today just makes me want to rip my brain out of my head and throw it as far as I can.

Using masculine phrases like he, him, his, or man is how the english language works. Do you think that Latin and Greek and Spanish and the many other languages that deal with gender in much more complexity freaked out about pissing off the feminists???

I swear, I will never ever in my life take a sociology, philosophy, anthropology or any other such class otherwise I would loose my mind.

I swear, I will never ever in my life take a sociology, philosophy, anthropology or any other such class otherwise I would loose my mind.

I was taught that in a Diversity in Education class, not any of the ones you listed.

If you really think it's not culturally unhealthy and self-destructive for a 3 year-old to say "only boys can be doctors" then I'm not going to bother changing your mind.

What is the problem with an "unbeliever" being taught to memorize/recite various patriotic anthems that make mention of God? Shouldn't they be focusing more on their national heritage rather than the word "God"? As an American, I find it embarassing when a fellow citizen is offended by our national heritage.

Surely you must be offended by the fact that America was one of the last countries to abolish slavery and continue to persecute Blacks until the early 1970's? That is part of your heritage, after all.

you keep menti

Just because "a lot" of people do not believe in God doesn't mean that the they are all radical atheists that loathe to mention or even acknowledge a higher intelligence. Many people still believe in "a God" and even those who do not believe are ok with mentioning God.

It just seems so strange how radical activist atheists get in such a fuss about being "forced" to acknowledge "God" in various civil matters. On one hand, they would find it very offensive if you called their atheism a "religion" (with science as their "god"). But on the other hand, they certainly act like religious zealots, demanding religious liberties and becoming offended when having to acknowledge beliefs other than their own.

you keep using the term "radical atheists", ignoring the fact that if anyone of the "God" aspects in our everyday lives was removed/proposed to be removed, there would be an uproar faaaaaar greater than there ever would be if one was added. These aspects are still in our lives because in America radical Christians>radical others

Too lazy to multiquote like 20 people. Anyway, most people believe in some kind of higher being/god, and I don't think the USA ever had an atheïst president, and thus always were led by theïsts who of course use theïst ideas. And Cleverpun, it seriously matters not if a 3 year old boy says that. I mean, he's freaking 3 years old. And it's also statistically a stupid thing to say because most doctors are female (here at least). The removal of fisherman to fisher is doubly stupid because an overwhelming majority of fishermen are men. And it's just another layer of political correctness. You wouldn't want to change the fact that in Romanic languages (French, Spanish etc.) when there's a group of people it's always referred to with male words right? Because all that would cause is endless confusion. The political correctness you're proposing is only leading to administration costs and every minute politicians spend on "correcting" stuff like that is one they can't spend on useful stuff like world peace and a solution for the hunger outbreaks that will most likely soon appear

Actually, speaking of doctors:

"Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. We will one day understand what causes it, and then cease to call it divine. And so it is with everything in the universe."

- Hippocrates (c. 460-377 BCE)

Surely you must be offended by the fact that America was one of the last countries to abolish slavery and continue to persecute Blacks until the early 1970's? That is part of your heritage, after all.

Correction: you must not be from America because we *still* persecute the Blacks in 2014.

Meh, a huge part of america is still christian i believe. I guess thats why? Or maybe it is because of culture and tradition

Archived