Christian school says 8-year-old girl "not welcome" because she dresses like a boy

Atrix Infinite

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/26/virginia-school-reportedly-complains-8-year-old-girl-not-feminine-enough/

I think it's dumb and an oppression of who she is. If she wants do dress like a boy, why not?

Gonna go ahead and guess: Something to do with the bible. Remember it's a christian school and not a public one. A lot of ppl wouldn't care but them Christian schools do.

I'm not jon (although he's far wiser on this topic than I am) but...

It is not the duty of any establishment to service nor provide any product to anybody who conflicts with their morals and ideals. This Christian School is a private institution, and they have the right to selectively enroll students. Furthermore, it is highly inappropriate for any girl to be dressing as a boy would. We're not built the same, and thinking it's appropriate for little boys to be exposed to little girls in that fashion sickens me. 

As for the supposed suppression of transgenderel rights. Separation of Church and State applies here more than it ever has in our history. The all-encompassing government has no right to infringe on the rights to turn customers away from any establishment. And, going even further, homosexuals get no special favors. They expect to be doted on due to their new super special orientation. But if a Christian school can kick a punk out for cussing, they can kick a punk out who dresses inappropriately. 

Christian schools = Communism :D

Do you mind explaining what you just said? I don't see a clear relation. 

I'm not jon (although he's far wiser on this topic than I am) but...

It is not the duty of any establishment to service nor provide any product to anybody who conflicts with their morals and ideals. This Christian School is a private institution, and they have the right to selectively enroll students. Furthermore, it is highly inappropriate for any girl to be dressing as a boy would. We're not built the same, and thinking it's appropriate for little boys to be exposed to little girls in that fashion sickens me. 

As for the supposed suppression of transgenderel rights. Separation of Church and State applies here more than it ever has in our history. The all-encompassing government has no right to infringe on the rights to turn customers away from any establishment. And, going even further, homosexuals get no special favors. They expect to be doted on due to their new super special orientation. But if a Christian school can kick a punk out for cussing, they can kick a punk out who dresses inappropriately. 

"And, going even further, homosexuals get no special favors." They get the special favor to be kicked out for being sexually attracted to the  the same sex

"But if a Christian school can kick a punk out for cussing, they can kick a punk out who dresses inappropriately. " Dressing "inappropriately" hurts no one in any way, cussing can harm others, on a personal level.  I would rather see a boy in girls clothes than a boy in no clothes. Get mad at me all you want, but thats how I feel. 

P.S I know we are talking about a girl, but I had to use boy as an example because I would not mind seeing a girl in no clothes...

I know you have your sniper rifle aimed at me now

let your child be who they want to be/dress how they want. let them be their own person. Is it that hard to understand?

inb4 j-j-j-jon turns up and says ridiculously insensitive things about gender.

I hope he does.

Females are weak beings in need of being protected by strong men. They are vain and lusty etc etc

can we forget about gender binaries? Can we throw everything we know about genders and their habits right out the window? There are many people who don't fit the common molds that society has created for them, but does that really matter? As long as they're good people who are nice, and do great things for the world, does it really fucking matter? 

Does it matter how a girl dresses? Does it matter how she cuts her hair? You ever think about how girls aren't here to be pretty, aren't here just to be looked at- but how they're here to learn and serve, just like the rest of us? You ever think how women don't exist for you, but for themselves? 

I hope he does.

Females are weak beings in need of being protected by strong men. They are vain and lusty etc etc

Did you just-

no.

Just no.

I hate to break it to you guys but there ain't nothin' wrong about being a tomboy.

The school is really overreacting in this case.

It's a private religiously affiliated institution that will do as it's Administration and Board instruct. They have broken no laws and there are plenty of institutions with dress codes. Hell, I bet no one would bat an eye at a female waitress being fired from Hooters for insisting on wearing male clothes.

There is nothing requiring the Student to attend that particular school and it is not a PUBLIC institution and can therefor make the rules as it wants.

Dont like this, there should be gender equality, i dont think Christians have much against being a tomboy.

that law is in the old testemant, so why the chrisitans care about that law. its only for jews.

Christians follow both testaments, its just that the jews mainly follow the first 3 books

It's a private religiously affiliated institution that will do as it's Administration and Board instruct. They have broken no laws and there are plenty of institutions with dress codes. Hell, I bet no one would bat an eye at a female waitress being fired from Hooters for insisting on wearing male clothes.

There is nothing requiring the Student to attend that particular school and it is not a PUBLIC institution and can therefor make the rules as it wants.

yeah to you and everyone else who has missed the point, nobody is making a legal argument that they do not have the legal right to do this.

it's more of a moral debate about whether they're dicks for doing it.

it's more of a moral debate about whether they're dicks for doing it.

they are dicks for doing it :P i think the majority will agree on that

they are dicks for doing it :P i think the majority will agree on that

well yeah but everyone agrees that they're legally within their rights, so that's gotta be where the discussion is meant to be, right? :P

Archived