Beware New Scamming Technique

boomerandzapper

I have to say that it caught me by surprise when I got scammed. 

Here's how they do it:

1. Random add with random user.

2. The scammer changes profile to impersonate another user that you have traded with recently.

3. Scammer does research and gets information from rep threads.

4. You give items.

5. Scammer removes you and walks away.

I lost 140 keys after falling for this. I hope none of you follow in my lead.

This doesn't sound new at all. If you're doing a money transaction, then you should do research as well on the person you're trading even if it was recent. I assume there would be quite a few flaws in the scammer's profile, especially their backpack content, number of games, playtime, badges, badge levels, and Steam ID.

This doesn't sound new at all. If you're doing a money transaction, then you should do research as well on the person you're trading even if it was recent. I assume there would be quite a few flaws in the scammer's profile, especially their backpack content, number of games, playtime, badges, badge levels, and Steam ID.

More creative than other more obvious scam attempts. One I've never seen before, so yea, new to me but maybe old to other people.

You can normally spot speech habits if you are observant. Dunno but thats the thing I do. Im weird. Sorry for this.

That technique was used a years ago already. :P That he has no chat history with you should be warning enough (which wasn't there back then).

Archived