Does Fred Phelps really hate homsexuals?

AwesomeMcCoolName

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is Fred Phelps actually against homosexuality?

• yes
    • no

For those who don't know, Fred Phelps is the head of the Western Baptist Church.

While it might seem that he obviously hates homosexuals considering what he preaches--"God hates fags". But, he could also being purposely showing himself to be an extreme to make people want to not be like him--and therefore accept homosexuality. Considering his background (in civil rights) its a bit hard to believe he would be so anti-homosexual-rights. 

So, is he actually against homosexuality, or is it just a ploy of his to make people more tolerant?

You can work in civil rights and still be an ignorant douche bag. Not to sure about this one though, I'm leaning towards yes.

I just caan't see how that ploy could be that effective. They haven't really made us accept homosexuality as much as they've made us hate Phelps and the WBC community. You could propose this to Jesse Ventura, though; he might make a story of it.

Ofc he hates gays. Is this thread serious? You don't go around picketing people's funerals with a message against something, that's secretly meant to be positive and inspiring. He hates gay people, and he's apparently crazy enough that his own Church recently excommunicated him.

I should make big signs that say "Kill all Blacks for the Taliban" and deep down actually mean that I support African American rights and their progress in our society. That's basically what you're suggesting this man possibly is doing.

I'm pretty goddamn sure if he was for homosexuality, that motherfucker would have stepped up and said something to all his blind followers.

Ofc he hates gays. Is this thread serious? You don't go around picketing people's funerals with a message against something, that's secretly meant to be positive and inspiring. He hates gay people, and he's apparently crazy enough that his own Church recently excommunicated him.

I should make big signs that say "Kill all Blacks for the Taliban" and deep down actually mean that I support African American rights and their progress in our society. That's basically what you're suggesting this man possibly is doing.

Except look at how people react to what he's doing, by taking such a harsh position against homosexuals he's potentially made people afraid to become what he has.

Except how many people would have "strayed" and become as ridiculous as him to start with? If a person does not agree with homosexual rights, and they see him, all that he would probably be influencing in them is "Oh shit this guy is crazy, I'll never picket a funeral in my life thanks to him!". Not "I suddenly embrace homosexual rights because of how absurd this man is". And what about Church followers or people who find themselves shifting towards anti-homosexual stances and becoming interested in his messages, because of the intense media coverage his efforts have gotten? I'd argue that he's done more towards the allowance of more extreme picketing/first amendment issues than he ever has towards pro-gay stances. He literally won a Supreme Court Case to picket that specific military funeral: why not believe that he's trying to do more or has done more on that front than on gay rights?

-Snip-

I actually think it's the opposite as god hates fags isnt the churches only message it also hates upon many many other things, condemning people to hell...etc

Considering that christianity and the bible is the main argument against gays it makes others questions the legitimacy of the bible as well as teaching gathering misdirected hate towards christianity. Taking a large dump on people who have given their lives so they can keep living the american dream on "behalf of god" doesnt bring a very positive light on christianity.

Alls I know is he is close to dying, which means that there will be one less evil in the world.

I am more interested in how many are going to show up to picket his funeral, and possibly desecrate the grave. Cant go around making that many enemies and one of them not be a crazy...

Archived