Possible Scam Site?

jliko

i dont really know where to post this as this is my first time posting on here, 

someone added me for a trade, 80 keys for a circling heart salty dog (there are cheaper ones).

Like the old "is the hat duped give it to an admin" scam. But instead they send me a website that might skim your login from the steam login.
Apparently its been around for 3 years; its the first time I've ever heard of it.

I just want your opinions on it

image_2024-03-23_173440930.png

yeah you got it. Looks like it then it probably is

Edit: If it looks like a scam then it probably is rather.

question : how come he isn't trade banned on steam ? i am sure people must have reported him several times by now

edit : i am asking for my lil bro

2 minutes ago, fran said:

question : how come he isn't trade banned on steam ? i am sure people must have reported him several times by now

edit : i am asking for my lil bro

It's never that simple with steam.

Also yeah this is a pretty interesting scam. I feel like any sized trader could accidentally fall for it if they haven't seen it before. I just got back into TF2/Trading in September, and early on into this new spree I almost fell for this. Obviously my brain is hard-wired to not log into any new sites without serious level of trust, so I don't think I would have gone through with it. But I really was wondering if there was some new method to determine whether or not an item was duped lol

• Like 1

beating a dead horse at this point but insane to me he's still able to scam people left and right on steam but if i leave a comment like "interested in buying your XYZ" on a person's profile i might get immediately community banned

• Like 4

never heard of explorer.tf2showcase.art? its the new facebook

• Haha 2

just gonna copy and past from a old forum post about basically the same thing

LET THIS BE KNOWN

ANY ONE CLAMING TO OWN A TF2 COMP TEAM AND OR GAMBLING/TRADING SITE THAT IS WANTING YOU TO PROMOT IT IS FAKE 

NEVER CLICK ANY LINKS SENT TO YOU AND NEVER LOG INTO THESE SITES

HERE IS WHAT TO DO IF YOU LOGED INTO ONE OF THESE SITES

THIS IS A GUIDE ON HOW TO RECOVER YOUR ACCOUNT

https://marketplace.tf/blog/posts/YHLZOB

you can also go to the official backpack.tf discord server and ask for help to find out if someone is trying to scam you

you can also get in contact with steam support for further help if need be

stay safe out there people 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Spoon The Second said:

just gonna copy and past from a old forum post about basically the same thing

LET THIS BE KNOWN

ANY ONE CLAMING TO OWN A TF2 COMP TEAM AND OR GAMBLING/TRADING SITE THAT IS WANTING YOU TO PROMOT IT IS FAKE 

NEVER CLICK ANY LINKS SENT TO YOU AND NEVER LOG INTO THESE SITES

HERE IS WHAT TO DO IF YOU LOGED INTO ONE OF THESE SITES

THIS IS A GUIDE ON HOW TO RECOVER YOUR ACCOUNT

https://marketplace.tf/blog/posts/YHLZOB

you can also go to the official backpack.tf discord server and ask for help to find out if someone is trying to scam you

you can also get in contact with steam support for further help if need be

stay safe out there people 

nice try with the scam link 😤

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AwesomeSause said:

Guys hear me out maybe he wants to give lil bro a clean hat 

as soon as it goes into the giftee's inventory it would be dirtied from all that tossing around in the digital pipes

Every time someone ask me if it's clean/glitched/etc.. it's always a scam.

So when someone ask me, I just say "nope, it's not clean" or "Yes it's glitched", "That's why I put that price on it".
You can then see them trying to construct bullshit on the go for you to go on the website.

Second trick, I'm always logged in on steam on my browser. If a link ask for my password, this is also a scam (votesite, historic, random website sometime)

Everyone who cares about duped knows how to check it themselves without owning it. Unless your inventory is private/friends only there is no reason for anyone to specifically ask you if its duped or not because if they care they'll check it themselves. If it is private and they want to check it, just set it to public for a little.