Scam statute of limitations

IHATEBOILEDFISH

Hello, forum. Today i've got an interesting question that, i guess, is overlooked by bp.tf rules.

It's the statute of limitations on people guilty of scamming. I've met a person, who's not bp.tf banned (no negative reps), but banned on SteamRep. Long story short, 10 years ago, in 2014 he did some quickswitching scamming (botkiller weapons, not unusuals). In today's world that type of scam is irrelevant and 10 years have passed, he got 2 alts, but they are clear (no fraud activities on them). 

All the story behind that person made me think a little. Should there be a statute of limitations? People who are going to jail are free after some hard time. Maybe, we should give a "second chance" to people whose actions wasn't so destructive. I am talking about people with 1-2 reports. Some of scammers were just little dumb kids back then, but people are changing.

I suggest to "unban" those people, if 1) A lot of time has passed, 2) They didn't abuse scamming (1-2 reports). "Unban" is quoted, because, despite their regained ability of being a normal trader, there should be a mark in their profile, that they scammed before, so you should be cautious and report immediately any suspicious activity. His profile:https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198064778583/

P.S. I am not justifying scamming, someone felt really bad 10 years ago and suffered a pain of loss. Of course that person actions are unacceptable, but people do mistakes, it's our nature. Peace.

Thanks for your attention! I am happy to hear your thoughts and suggestions, even if your point of view completely opposite to mine.

To make things a little bit clearer and to prevent some finger pointing, i should say that i was scammed in 2017-2018 for some keys, 20 if i remember it right. Still got discord chat with that person, so i could provide some evidence, that i know how bad being scammed feels. Clearing that, so you could be sure, that i know how bad it feels.

I know Gold Gnome. I’ve played MvM with him a bunch. He’s a great guy and super friendly. Without even clicking on the steam link, I knew you were talking about him. Unfortunately, SteamRep is full of bullshit. If you don’t repent your sins within a week of scamming your appeal gets denied. Does not matter amount, change, or time. He scammed that guy when he was 12-13 years old and now can’t trade normally over 3 ref. I feel really bad for him and I can’t even broker his items without facing a ban. I do think that yes, some bans should be uplifted, but we know thats never happening.

Sadly I'm unsure this can be suggested here, while bp.tf is a steamrep partner, I don't think they have jurisdiction over how they handle their own rules.

Yes, but what bp.tf can do, is to remove charges on their own site. And the second major issue is people getting banned by trading with a scammer. I understand when you obviously helping scammer to cash-out, but i do believe it's not the case considering Gold Gnome. It's pure Kafka's absurd, when you are punished, because you traded with a person who got banned 10 years ago, because of one small single issue. Even scam victim admitted, that scam volume was ~1 ref (2014 1 ref), which is still a very small number. We've got some things to review and treat them other way.

• Like 2

had a debate like this with a friend of mine about this topic

people can change over time and can become better people then they once were

I really hope down the line (soon) we can have people who scammed when they were a kid and have really changed can get that tag removed or at the very least change 

3 hours ago, IHATEBOILEDFISH said:

Hello, forum. Today i've got an interesting question that, i guess, is overlooked by bp.tf rules.

It's the statute of limitations on people guilty of scamming. I've met a person, who's not bp.tf banned (no negative reps), but banned on SteamRep. Long story short, 10 years ago, in 2014 he did some quickswitching scamming (botkiller weapons, not unusuals). In today's world that type of scam is irrelevant and 10 years have passed, he got 2 alts, but they are clear (no fraud activities on them). 

All the story behind that person made me think a little. Should there be a statute of limitations? People who are going to jail are free after some hard time. Maybe, we should give a "second chance" to people whose actions wasn't so destructive. I am talking about people with 1-2 reports. Some of scammers were just little dumb kids back then, but people are changing.

I suggest to "unban" those people, if 1) A lot of time has passed, 2) They didn't abuse scamming (1-2 reports). "Unban" is quoted, because, despite their regained ability of being a normal trader, there should be a mark in their profile, that they scammed before, so you should be cautious and report immediately any suspicious activity. His profile:https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198064778583/

P.S. I am not justifying scamming, someone felt really bad 10 years ago and suffered a pain of loss. Of course that person actions are unacceptable, but people do mistakes, it's our nature. Peace.

Thanks for your attention! I am happy to hear your thoughts and suggestions, even if your point of view completely opposite to mine.

Everyone deserves a second and third chance. No matter how badly they did. If they own up to it, pay up, and are willing to do right. That's what matters. I can say that with experience tbh

Anyways, people have appealed on Steam Rep before. I'm sure they can try.

7 hours ago, IHATEBOILEDFISH said:

Nice Alt bro 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Macioeus said:

Nice Alt bro 

Ahahahaha, nice one!

Just thought I'd show myself here, basically I am in a pretty unique situation, the person I scammed all those years ago is no longer with us. And, the mod that originally issued my perma scammer status left the steam rep website so who can I really turn to too get my status restored?