A legitimate way to have the retired spells drop/exist again.

Sunako Kirishiki

-  Halloween Spells -

Halloweenspells.png.ba3c4fc1353ea2e81ec41843a33f1abc.png

A while back I watched a video that had brought up a method for the highly coveted Halloween Spells to come into existence again for future Scream Fortress/Halloween while retaining there rarity and desirability (probably)

As we know it Halloween Spelled items are outstandingly collectable with high demand but a devastating amount of them are in collectors backpacks respectively with key price tags in the double or triple digits it's nearly impossible for any reasonable trader to get ahold of some of these items outside of single spelled unique quality common craft weapons with Exorcism.

Before diving into the "side effects" like the possibility of 1 of 1 spelled items obviously not being 1 of 1 anymore and that supposedly having a market influx crash where all your rare Halloween Spelled items could be much more common and would be used to abuse high price bot buy/sell orders you should hear my post out and you might change your mind, Tf2 has suffered much worse market crash incidents after all. 

- Halloween Transmute -

Halloween_Transmute_Menu.thumb.png.3a5b9ce2b233610cca49e2e89c5891ef.png

A mechanic that a surprising amount of common players are unaware of is the Halloween Transmute that becomes active when Tf2 reaches a certain date in October, added into the game in 2015 the same year as Gunmettle introducing Trade ups, Missions/Merasmissions, and graded quality items. Its often regarded as a waste of time/money nowadays since it only grants trade locked items but is useful to getting new Halloween cases as bonus drops but that's the extent of its use.

So why am i bringing up Transmuting and Merasmissions? they hold a possibility that can kill two birds with one stone, allow me to explain. 

- The Method -

________________________________________________                                                                                                                                       

image.png.0b440071bbef4d9f03bcf6cf0299bb2d.png    

For an indefinite amount of time Refined Metal has ceased desirability and faced inflation more then any item outside of Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys which have arguably become the main bulk currency for the economy and decides the value of everything, Essentially being change for Keys with how many Metals you need to make 1 Key *64 Refined for a Key at the time of writing this*

There was only one time I can recall exactly 10 years ago Valve added a crafting Recipe for Love & War update which had gave Metal and craft Hats at the time a use to get something new only for nothing similar to be added ever again.

4c15fb716a1e1329d0de7ddbde116061.png.c23c58508f4a54e692f95c1e083c238e.png

While being a collectable novelty nowadays, the Bread Box by itself is now worth as much as its best possible contents simply because there aren't many around anymore and was probably the last time Tf2 made a conservative effort to give Players a use for there over abundance of items flooding the game at the time (A.K.A. Craft Hats and Metal respectively) a legitimate new crafting alternative and would free-up those abundance of items because people could use Metal to craft Hats and then use said Hats to create a Bread Box.

What does any of that have to do with Halloween Spells and Transmuting? this is where I will begin to try and explain a healthy way Spells can be Re-Introduced in a more rare manner then they where obtained back then and most likely keep there desirability and rarity unchecked for already Spelled legacy items and allow new ones to exist after this new method would come into play.

Halloween Transmute and Merasmissions are the solutions to this drought of Spells that have been gone from the game since 2015 and the way they can be obtained is from bonus drops you get like the cosmetic cases, however the catch is they will be MUCH MUCH MUCH rarer... Unusual hat chance rare. 0.33% or whatever the rate the Unusual unbox rate has been, not only that but any obtained un-applied Spells by themselves this way will be untradable as would any of the items you get from Merasmissions/Transmuting but they wont make the chosen applied item untradable on use unless it already was untradable to begin with. This can very much control the distribution and desirability of Spells so that Jerks cannot trade horde and stockpile un-applied Spells since the only possible way to obtain them is though chance and not trade.

This opens the gate for a lot of things, more accessible Spelled Cosmetics/Weapons, Hype for Halloween, a reason to play Merasmissions and of course grinding out Transmutes, this would spike a use for Metal and Craft hats as mentioned with the Bread Box since you can use Headgear as Transmute slots and other cheap things like Name Tags/Description Tags 

It would liquidate a hefty amount of Metal and Craft Hats that have been pumped onto the Game and Trade Market for the past 10 years it would help shape up the economy flowing with trade activity now that such low value items A.K.A Metal and Craft Hats would have a legitimate use every Halloween.

I would much rather new halloween spells be introduced say in a halloween case or or something. New paint spells and other effect spells could be very interesting and having them locked behind a case gives a chance for them to grow in value over time. Hell I think even having other seasonal themed spells could be good for the economy. I've seen a dozen or so christmas themed spells in the workshop I'd love to see added. I was burned when unusual gen 1s were no longer locked to early series crates, I'd hate to see people get burned on spells. At the same time I think spells are a nice addition. I think releasing new ones are much more appropriate than messing with the old.

the reason you want spells is the reason spells are so expensive: they are rare, and demand exceeds supply because they get hoarded up by a small % of the community

if you make spells droppable again nobody will give a shit about spells anymore, and if nobody cared about spells this thread wouldn’t have existed in the first place

like god tier effects/hats this is a gatekeeping thing, to separate the rich from the poors. If you make everything droppable/unboxable again how is someone like n_n going to flex their 1 of 1 Chromatic cats that they paid 4200+ keys for

these won’t come back for the same reason valve won’t re release Kato 2014 sticker capsules, you don’t fuck with the money flow

I wrote this with the idea that the 16 Spells all from the Glowing Paints, Footprints, Voices, Exorcism, S.Fire, P. Bombs, would have the same drop chance as an Unusual and then one of the 1/16 random Spells that gets dropped would be no rarer then the other, Meaning getting an Exorcism dropped would be no more rarer then Headless Horseshoes and vice versa. 

I was thinking about the same a few years ago. The idea is great and it would require very little work from Valve: Just add spells to the pool of things we get from unboxing the useless pumpkins and set a certain percentage of rarity. There will finally be an incentive to do the merasmissions. I think the chance percentage should be like the chance to get a hat (or any non-weapon item) as a randomly dropped item.

Another method I was thinking about was having a mannup version of the Ghost Town nigthmare mission which would usually drop random (tradable) halloween items from the same pool that the pumpkins use. And the chance to get a spell from there would be like the one to get an australium. And this would only be enabled during the Halloween event or on Full Moon.

Also, spells wouldn't have been removed in the first place, if it was possible to get them on Valve servers only. As you wouldn't had been able to use a script to teleport you to the halloween gifts when they spawn. Just a reminder of the reason they got removed: https://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=14798

I remember the excitement that rolled around every year, getting to apply spells to newly released items. They should have never been removed in the first place, honestly.

I'd love to see them make a return in some manner. Nice idea!

Every year, somebody has a smart way of spells returning and every year, especially in the last couple my response ends up being the same, being that its a cool idea, in the event that valve cared anymore and there was a definitive way they could control it to their benefit, IE a paywall of some sort involved. I want spells back in any form, whether it be new, old, un/tradable, whatever. But my faith truly dims with every update and every hollow promise we get from the resident valve janitor.

1 hour ago, RockSolidWood said:

Every year, somebody has a smart way of spells returning and every year, especially in the last couple my response ends up being the same,

And that answer is use the system you describe, with transmute, drop, etc.. to give an item that is a like the "Strange Count Transfer Tool", but for spell (can be one for paint spell, one for weapon spell, one for step spell, whatever).

Number of spell is "unchanged", but: 

- You can swap a spell from an old ugly unusual to a recent hat you love way much

- Yes, some 1/1 may not remains 1/1, sad.

I'm also promoting for crafting n unusual hat to a new one :D (I guess n should be between 3 and 10 to be used?)

i thought a glitch to get new spelled items was discovered